Downloading, uploading and Excel

Downloading, uploading and Excel

by Paul Ganderton -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

Before I raise a tracker issue I'd appreciate some help. The scenario is this: I want to publish a series of grades for my students from their annual exams (taken the old pencil and paper way!). I must make sure that grades correspond to names and so I looked at the gradebook. Names were in order and corresponded to my Excel spreadsheet. I downloaded the gradebook to make sure everything looked good. When I opened this in Excel, family names were in order but some (but not all) of the first names were out of sequence e.g. M before A. No obvious explanation. Ideally I want to add a number of columns and upload them to the gradebook but must make sure that data integrity is maintained (students really get annoyed if you change their grades!).

Therefore:

a) has anyone had this happen before. Is it a download bug or just me?
b) Can I add columns in Excel and export them to the gradebook and have them displayed or do I need to create the space (i.e. assignment) first.

I really want to migrate all my data to gradebook but I agree with other posters about the issues arising and the complications experienced. I really need a foolproof system (especially as I am one of the main Moodlers in my place and everyone expects me to have the answers!).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul
In reply to Paul Ganderton

Re: Downloading, uploading and Excel

by Nicolas Connault -
Paul,

When you say that the first names were out of sequence, do you mean that some students had the wrong last <-> first name associations? That would greatly surprise me. The order in which they appear in your spreadsheet is not relevant to the import process, because they are not identified by first or last name in the database, but by email address.

b) You need to create some assignments before uploading your csv file (comma-separated, no text delimiter). You can then choose email address as the user identifier, and map the assignment names to each other.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

Re: Downloading, uploading and Excel

by Robert Russo -
He's saying that if you have 2 people with the last name of Smith (say Mike Smith and Andrew Smith), the downloader MAY download them
with Mike Smith before Andrew Smith because the second sortorder is broke.

Here's the patch/fix. We submitted this as a bug on 9/26.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16687

--- grade/lib.php 2008-03-11 18:58:51.000000000 -0500
+++ grade/lib.php 2008-10-17 13:21:36.000000000 -0500
@@ -104,7 +104,7 @@
$ofields = ", u.$this->sortfield1 AS usrt1";
$order = "usrt1 $this->sortorder1";
if (!empty($this->sortfield2)) {
- $ofields .= ", u.$this->sortfield1 AS usrt2";
+ $ofields .= ", u.$this->sortfield2 AS usrt2";
$order .= ", usrt2 $this->sortorder2";
}
if ($this->sortfield1 != 'id' and $this->sortfield2 != 'id') {