Creating a self access course - tools, tips & tricks you can share?

Creating a self access course - tools, tips & tricks you can share?

by Rena P -
Number of replies: 5
Hi fellow Moodlers

I'm on the scrounge again, sorry! blush I need to write a course for training teacher-trainers to deliver training in an online environment, so like an "online moderator's course" or "online tutor's course" ... but there's a catch! They *won't* be participating in a moderated course to do this, it has to be self-access! So, they'll miss lots of loop input and tips and tricks that an experienced online tutor/moderator would model, and won't have an opportunity to actually try moderating any groups in a training environment. sad

Also, I'm concerned about how to keep the course engaging. thoughtful Making "lock step" or (so-called) tutor-led courses engaging is comparatively straight forward, but keeping people motivated and enthusiastic in a "party of one" over any length of time (up to 15 hours course work) is a little more challenging, I think.

Has anyone got any good ideas for keeping motivation/engagement high in a 100% self-access course? This question is as much about teaching strategies as technical wonders - some concrete examples or good sites to look at would be great!

I found some nice evaluation features at http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/ (a free online course about breastfeeding). [You'll need to set up a free account to access the materials on the site, but it's quite straightforward. The site presentation is looking a little dated now, but in terms of pedagogic approaches, it's worth a look.]
  • For each unit of the course, they have a pre-module evaluation followed by coursework and then a post-module evaluation. The thing that's interesting about it for me is that after you complete the 2nd evaluation, it compares your 2 scores, and shows you the differences in your answers.
  • It's also got some very clever features in some of their "how are you doing"-style evaluations in the actual module (see http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/Anatomy/case3.html for an example of this), whereby if you write something like "don't know" when a longer text-based (i.e. non-check-box answer) is required, it prompts you to at least have a go! big grin
Has anyone seen/used something similar from the Moodle plug-ins?

Thanks for sharing,

Rena smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rena P

Re: Creating a self access course - tools, tips & tricks you can share?

by Tomaz Lasic -
Hi Rena

Pay each one $1 million dollars to attend - that will keep them engaged wink

Seriously...the issue is a pretty big one and has been tackled by many in your position. For my 20c:

- get them to walk away with something tangible they can use straight away For example, structure a course with templates of docs, activities etc. which they simply replace with their own as they master them. They won't need a grade to know they have done a (good enough) job, simply an acknolewdgment/encouragement from the moderator would help). They are not there for grades, they are there for learning.

- get them to solve problems rather than learn about software learn 'how to manage a difficult attendee with smart use of a messaging system' instead of 'features of messaging system' - specific to generic rather than the other way around. One is real life situation they are likely to experience, the other is 'boring computer training' (to many I guess...). I know which one I would go for smile

- get the experts and newbies talk to each other and 'own' a discussion and learning with your as a moderator stepping in judiciously (a forum would be a great idea + they get to learn how to use a forum). Lock-stepping can be patronising because you don't really always know their level of proficiency.

oops, sorry gotta run, an emergency here at school... may post some more later . Good luck

Oh, handy reference (bit of big picture) http://staffdevelop.org/softwaretrap.html

Tomaz
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tomaz Lasic

by Tomaz Lasic -
OK, part 2...

- stage a little 'collaborative competition' (if appropriate), individual or in teams perhaps (teachable moment for learning about group settings, role perhaps, timers, wiki [ideal for groups])

- get them to come up with myths and questions, then challenge them - all using different features of Moodle of course tongueout

- give them '10 minutes to break Moodle' (unless you have some top hackers in the group smile - this works really well with younger folks

- get them to vote on the best course/activity/ resource design (use Choice for voting - they learn about that too... + they learn about design features)

and so on...

As you can see, it really comes down to 'walk the Moodle talk' - the philosophy of constructing knowledge. The stronger, more personal the context the better the learning will be.

If we think about 'injecting' knowledge into an 'empty vessel' through a depersonalised course I think we have undermined the possibilities (and 'mission' if you like) of Moodle + we are selling out attendees short.

Apologies for rambling ... I hope you find some use for it Rena.

Hodně štěstí smile

Tomaz
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tomaz Lasic

by Rena P -
Ahoj Tomaz and díky moc smile

Again, lots of good ideas - the challenge will be to see how many of them I can implement in a course without a moderator to interact with, or other students for them to bounce ideas off/compare stuff with. I'm often a little dubious of using things like wikis etc. if there is a risk of them simply becoming a "silent graveyard", where no-one leaves anything at all! sad Maybe I'm just being paranoid! wink

It was interesting to read the article at http://staffdevelop.org/softwaretrap.html - it's something we've been trying to convey to our teachers and teaching centre managers for several years now, but it seems that sometimes it takes a long time for messages to get through. Good to know there's plenty of people saying it though! smile Your comment about "get them to solve problems rather than learn about software" is equally relevant in the context of a self-access course - even though I'll be focusing mainly on the "online moderation" side of things, it's always good to be reminded of the potential to head off into "let's talk tech"! sad I can see that I may end up using http://human.edublogs.org/2008/10/09/top-5-myths-about-teaching-with-moodle/ as an article to read as well! wink

Many thanks for your input, hope the school emergency wasn't too serious,

Rena smile

In reply to Rena P

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Rena,

I agree with Tomaz having read much of his amazing work. However, I would like to add a small insight. In my situation I'm evangelist/chief Moodler/trainer etc. in a group of 1 and it's very difficult to get people on board! The situation must be practically focussed but I wonder if a single approach works. I've found that there are two types (at least) and maybe you need to try focussing your course in different ways. For the already tech competent then a software focus is good because it shows them how to use their strengths to help others. For the less competent then a teaching focus is preferable.

Two other insights I found recently. The obvious one is that you need strong support from the top. Principals need to be visibly supportive (but apparently research shows they don't need to be geeks). The second one suggests that we develop alongside students e.g. from teacher to e-teacher to e-mentor (where most Moodle is at the moment I guess) to e-collaborator (staff and students work together to solve problems. I'm not sure how it would work in your situation but its certainly something to think about.

Hope it helps,

Paul
In reply to Paul Ganderton

by Rena P -
Hi Paul

Thanks for your comments. I think the "management on board" issue should be fairly okay, as (dare I be this cynical!!!) evil there's money to be made by training people in online moderation!!! big grin

Re: single approach, you may have a point - I'll try to incorporate a variety of different approaches and techniques, and just hope that I don't "fall between 2 stools"!

I've really not had much luck finding any apps to offer "pre-coursework & post-coursework" test comparisons, so if anyone does know of any, please let me know ...

All the best,

Rena