best way to empty a database or partially empty a database and start again

best way to empty a database or partially empty a database and start again

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 2

I uploaded the highly risky and unstable "1.4 development" version of Moodle recently (out of greed for some of the very newest functions, particularly quiz timing). It looked as if the installation was working but something went wrong on the way - a few error messages during installation. Whether this was the cause or not I am not sure but, an important function is not functioning on my installation, even though the same function it is functioning perfectly in other installations of 1.4 development.

I have tried re-uploading a fresh copy of 1.4 but I gained no joy, so I think that the problem must be some corruption of the database. The site is a trial site, with only a couple of trial courses, so I think I should empty the database.

I do not have CPANEL access to the server but I do have phpMyAdmin. If I click the name of the database, click on cheque everything, and then select "empty" from the drow down box, then will I be able to repopulate my Moodle just by going to the database again?
Will the fact that for instance I have user and course files on the site prevent the database from being rebuilt or clash in some way? Do I need to wipe them clean first?

Will it be okay to uncheck the "moodle_user_admins" ?

Or to uncheck a few other table rows (such as the forum related rows) that are not related to the function that does not work (the quiz)?

Has anyone done this?

Tim
Takemoto

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: best way to empty a database or partially empty a database and start again

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can't just pick and choose.

You can wipe out whole modules at a time using the Moodle GUI  Admin >> Configuration >> Modules and selecting Delete.

You can also wipe out everything using phpmyadmin, but use "Drop" rather than "Empty".
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: best way to empty a database or partially empty a database and start again

by Timothy Takemoto -
Ah, I am so picky. Thanks for the advice.
I will "drop" the whole lot in while if there are no other takers for my "not for me" would-be "bug".  
Tim