Grades -> General Settings -> No overview report?

Grades -> General Settings -> No overview report?

by Steven van de Graaf -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to Moodle though would like to think that I have learned one or two things about it, in the past two weeks, as I've been modifying our company's Moodle installation in terms of graphics. Now they've also asked me to enable the option "Overview Report" under Grades -> General Settings -> User Profile Report. Having read the Moodle documentation (for both 1.9 and 1.8.* -> I've got a 1.9 test version running as localhost on my laptop, as well as the company's 1.8.* version) I've attempted to get the option Overview Report enabled. So far, however, I haven't managed to do so.

So my question is, quite simply; what have I missed? Now, that there are a few more steps involved on getting the Overview Report option enabled under the 1.8.* version I can understand, but, following documentation, I couldn't get it enabled either under my clean 1.9 Moodle installation, which is was puzzles me the most.

I've read and applied all of the following documentation (linkage at the end of this post), and still don't have any Overview Report enabled. I'd like to be more specific, but I don't know what kind of information you guys need, so I'll await a response for more info. (To prevent me sprouting out 3 pages of stuff no one wants to read.)

Documentation used;

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Overview_report

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Grades_FAQ

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Grades

In reply to Steven van de Graaf

Re: Grades -> General Settings -> No overview report?

by Steven van de Graaf -
I'm just bumping this thread in a hope someone will know how to solve this one; anyone? No one here makes use of the overview reports??
In reply to Steven van de Graaf

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steven,

Thanks for posting about the overview report and apologies for the insufficient/confusing documentation. I have edited Overview report and the section on the user profile report in General grade settings, so hopefully it is clearer now. Please say so if not!

Basically, overview reports are always available, so there's no need to enable them. You just need to know where to look for them. wink

Ideally though, all aspects of the overview report should be easily understandable without the need for documentation, so if you have any usability suggestions for the overview report (or any other area of the 1.9 gradebook), they would be much appreciated. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Steven van de Graaf -

Hello Helen,

First off, thanks for the improved documentation; it did clear up a thing or two for me! It cleared even more up, when I decided to ring up the person who requested the change. (For the overview report option.) It turns out that the overview report is, indeed, already available to students (in correspondence with the Moodle documentation) but they also want teachers to be able to view the student overview reports without first having to log in as the student. Having browsed the forum a bit more, it seems to be a thing more people would like to see. Is this something that will be implemented in later versions? (That's quite handy for me to know, because if it isn't, then I'll attempt to use the suggestion posted in this thread.)

Secondly, I could give some usability suggestions regarding Moodle, but if I want to do it properly, then I'd have to sit down for it and take the required time to write up something proper, instead of throwing some random suggestions and then quickly running away. (Which would be more useful for the Moodle developers, in my opinion.) But seeing as I don't have the time right now, I'll just leave that blank for now. ;)