Sharing resources in different courses

Sharing resources in different courses

by Bill Parsons -
Number of replies: 10
I need to create 2 courses that can use the resources from a 3rd course rather than having to duplicate the files in each course. Can this be done? Meta Courses don't seem to offer this. I read that someone used a "symbolic link" to do this but I don't know how to create one. I don't have control over my web host (commercial).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Parsons

Re: Sharing resources in different courses

by Elaine Batiste -
This sounds like a meta course which is what I am trying to figure out. The meta course contains other courses and acts as a conduit to share resources between them. That's as far as I got. I'm going onto the meta courses thread
In reply to Elaine Batiste

by Bill Parsons -
Actually, the way I've accomplished this is to create ONE course and put all of the students into it. Then I've used the "Groupings" to group students into 2 groups; one for each class. Using this is perfect because both groups see all of the assignments and resources but they only see "participants" of their own groups. Also, I can design specific activities for only one group if needed. It works great.

The new "groupings" function; part of Groups; is a fantastic addition to Moodle. I'm not sure when it was added but it works great in 1.9.2 and I plan to continue using it.
In reply to Elaine Batiste

by Bill Parsons -
Meta Courses do not share resources. They only share enrollments. That is, when you create a Meta Course and add child courses to it the enrollments for the child courses are added to the Meta Course. That's it.
In reply to Bill Parsons

by Robert Brenstein -
Metacourses don't share resources in the sense of copying them between courses. However, due to propagation of enrollments, they allow you to share resources -- regardless of the course students are enrolled in, they can get to the common resources. It is also possible to put a link to those resources into individual courses (a normal url link not physical symbolic link). Groups and groupings are another way of handling this. Yet another way is to use a repository add-on. Each approach has its pros and cons.
In reply to Bill Parsons

Ang: Sharing resources in different courses

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Recently MDL-7662 were resolved. That means that it from now (or next time your Moodle is updated) should be possible to have a course in a hidden category from which you can share resources. See the tracker.
In reply to Bill Parsons

by Michael Penney -
End of October we'll be releasing a nice tool designed just for this use, shoot me a message if you'd like a previewsmile.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Brian Morris -
Did you ever release the tool to share resources across courses?
In reply to Brian Morris

by Paula Clough -

Yes, I would be interested in knowing also... I have some courses that need to share resources ...

Thanks,

Paula C

In reply to Paula Clough

by David Challoner -
I would also like to do this, please let us know how far you have got if at all.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Kaysha Garber -

I am also very interested in this tool. Please let us know how to obtain it and its features. Can you tell us what it is called?