Students Receiving More Than Maximum Possible Points

Students Receiving More Than Maximum Possible Points

by Jim Murray -
Number of replies: 3
We have a teacher who wishes to give what she calls a "bonus question" in their quiz. This "bonus question" would be worth 5 points (as an example) IF it is answered correctly, but worth 0 points if answered incorrectly.

There are 50 questions on the MC quiz, so the maximum possible points would be 50. However, when she adds the bonus question, she wants to make it possible for students who answer the bonus question correctly to receive 55 points. So, if a student answers all 50 questions correct PLUS the bonus question, the student receives 55 out of a possible 50. If the student answers all 50 questions correctly, but MISSES the bonus question, she wants the student to receive 50 out of a possible 50. In effect, she wants a type of question in her quiz that counts if answered correctly, but doesn't count if answered incorrectly!

Has anyone figured out how this can be done in 1.9.2? CAN it be done? I've tried several ways to fool the Quiz module into thinking this way, but with no luck so far.

Thanks for Moodle! And thanks for any suggestions to this bizarre request.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Murray

Re: Students Receiving More Than Maximum Possible Points

by Itamar Tzadok -
I haven't tried any of that yet so this is just a thought experiment.

The gradebook allows you to assign a formula to a grade item. So you create a grade item and assign the quiz to it. Now, in this quiz the 50 questions are 1 point each to a total of 50 points. The bonus question should be 51 points. The grade item formula should check the score:

if score==101 then the student answered all question+bonus correctly and you return 55.

else if score>=51 then the student answered some question+bonus correctly in which case I presume the student should be awarded only the standard points which would be score-51.

else if score<51 then the student answered all or some questions correctly but not the bonus in which case the actual score is what the student should be awarded.

As I said I haven't played with the grade items formulae yet but from a quick glance at it the above should be doable.

Hope that helps. smile
In reply to Jim Murray

by Itamar Tzadok -
Here is a possible formula although I haven't tried it in the gradebook:

=SUM((INT(score/101)*5),MOD(score,51))

I'm not sure that the gradebook calculator has the INT function but even if not it should be fairly easy to emulate with other functions.

The left parameter of the sum calculates the bonus points which should be awarded only if all questions + the bonus question were answered correctly. So the score is divided by 101 and multiplied by 5 and that should yield 5 points if the score is the max 101 or 0 points for any other score.

The right parameter of the sum calculates the standard points by modulus 51.

So,

Correct standard questions
Bonus question
raw score calculated score
V
V 100
X
X
V

and so on.

Hope that helps. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Jim Murray -
Itamar - many thanks for the thought you have put into my problem! I'll look closely at your ideas, and see if I can duplicate them in my 1.9.2 install.

Again, thanks!