re: gradebook 1.9 questions

re: gradebook 1.9 questions

د David Wong لخوا -
د ځوابونو شمیر: 2
I'm working with one our teachers who is using an overall weighted scheme with categories that make use of simple weighted means, dropping the X lowest score, and include only non-empty grades.

So here's my question or questions?

If a teacher makes use of a quiz or a hot potatoes and the quizzes in a category and the quiz is either available or the student did not complete it, e.g, open, in-progress, or abandoned, the CATEGORY total is grayed out.

As a result, it seems that the students TOTAL scores for the course will be inflated until the teacher deletes the abandoned attempts or enters a ZERO for the quiz since it is open with no final grade.

Am I misunderstanding how the category totals work or is there some problem with using simple weighted means for categories and an overall weighted mean?
In reply to David Wong

Re: re: gradebook 1.9 questions

د Gary Anderson لخوا -
David:

That is correct. The teacher must put in a zero to have missing items factored into the grade.

Of course, you could always set the category to count non-empty items as zero if you want that process to be automatic, but that has the much larger disadvantage (from my perspective) that grades would always be deflated and that new items added would lower ones score, which is seldom what a teacher would want.

With the above settings, your grades are only of items that have been graded.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

Re: re: gradebook 1.9 questions

د David Wong لخوا -
Gary,

Just to confirm my suspicion...

If a you use an overall weighted scheme with simple weighted categories and there are NO grades in a category and your category is set to only consider non-empty grades, is the category itself excluded at least temporarily from the total points/course grade?