debian installer offers choice of apache2, apache, apache-ssl, apache-perl

debian installer offers choice of apache2, apache, apache-ssl, apache-perl

by Ben Crowell -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all, I'm a total newbie on moodle. I'm installing it on debian stable using apt-get. The installer offers me a choice of apache2, apache, apache-ssl, or apache-perl. I'm not sure which to pick. I'm currently running apache 1.3, and don't want to upgrade to apache 2, so I think that eliminates that one. I have perl installed, and I have SSL libraries installed, but I don't have a signed certificate for https on my domain. Thanks in advance! Ben
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Crowell

Re: debian installer offers choice of apache2, apache, apache-ssl, apache-perl

by Ben Crowell -
Hmm...I went ahead and tried apache-perl. The result was a failed install, because it wanted apache 2 installed, but what I have installed is apache 1.3. It seems like there are some documentation and/or packaging problems with moodle on debian stable.
In reply to Ben Crowell

by Ben Crowell -
Another packaging bug in debian stable: after intalling and then removing moodle using apt, I'm left with a /var/www/apache2-default/ directory, which shouldn't be there. If moodle requires apache 2, then it shouldn't consent to installing itself unless apache 2 is installed. It's good that it didn't just upgrade to apache 2 automatically, since that's a huge upgrade and would break a lot of things on most servers. If moodle *can* be run with apache 1.3, then it shouldn't present the user with configuration options that won't work wit apache 1.3. I chose the config option "apache-perl." If, out of those 4, there are some that require apache 2 and some that don't, then it shouldn't offer the ones that won't work on a system that has apache 1.3. Apt-get install and apt-get remove should always put you back to the same state, which it didn't do here. In the curses dialog that comes up when you install apache via apt, the four options referred to in the subject line should be explained. (They should also be documented somewhere on moodle.org. If they are documented here, I couldn't find that info.)
In reply to Ben Crowell

by Richard Enison -
BC,

Moodle absolutely does not require Apache 2. I have seen lots of posts in these forums from Moodlers using it wil 1.3. The Requirements section of the installation doc page says the same thing.

I don't know who wrote the Debian installer. Maybe it's like Fantastico, a piece of junk that some web hosts provide to automatically install Moodle for their clients but it does a very messy job and I have been highly unrecommending it for some time. Just don't blame Moodle for it.

EDIT: I just took a look at the instructions in the Moodle docs for Ubuntu, which is supposed to apply to Debian. It does suggest installing Apache 2, but it doesn't say you have to use that version. More to the point, it doesn't suggest using the apt-get installer for Moodle itself. It does give a list of Linux commands (like sudo wget) that will download and install the latest stable version of Moodle.

RLE