question about guest and authenticated user roles

question about guest and authenticated user roles

by sofia torrão -
Number of replies: 1
hi,

we have a problem with guest and authenticated user roles.

i explain:

#1 we have a 80 to 90% courses closed just for students and teachers of those courses. this meaning that no one can access those courses unless they are teachers, students (automatically enrolled with information from faculty information system) or someone the teacher has authorized to access (manually).
> this is not a problem and is simple to do in every situation/configuration

the 10 to 20% left we have 2 different needs:

#2 teachers want to allow access (viewers!) to all faculty community, without having to enroll on the course. this permits them to have their regular students (those automatically enrolled) and at the same time others can see their course without having to be enrolled on the course (they do not show in grades and do not confuse the teacher)

#3 teachers want to allow access to the world. this means that they set their courses to allow guest without key and they want the course to be freely available.

for all that i've read in these forums, docs and book i think it's a question of having something like a "allow authenticated users" option in the course availability settings.
but there isn't one so i started exploring different combination of roles and authentication settings.

the result:
if i hide the guest login button in administration > users >authentication i cannot answer #3, but i can answer #2 if courses set "allow guest login"

if i enable show guest login button then anyone can enter on the #2 situation, because they have allowed guest login
if, in this scenario, i change #2 course to "do not allow guests in" no one will be able to see the course without being enrolled (bad for course management, specially grades)

is there anything i'm missing?
can this be done?

thank you

regards,

sofia
Average of ratings: -
In reply to sofia torrão

Re: question about guest and authenticated user roles

by Antonio Crespo -
Hi Sofia,

For #2 situation you in "guests access" you can set to "allow guests who have the key" and set (type) a text string on "Enrollment key" to be used as a password. This way only those who have the enrollment key will be able to log in as guests.

My two cents.