Having one course show up in several categories

Having one course show up in several categories

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 2

I would like to propose a modification to Moodle that allows us to have some courses show up in several categories in the course listings. Each course would of course still belong to one specific category, but one could have "symbolic links" to the course from other categories, very similar to how one can have symbolic links to files in different folders.

Because this would only affect the course listings and no other Moodle functionality it wouldn't be a big change and wouldn't have much effect on efficiency. It just takes some thought about what is the best user interface for creating and managing these symbolic links. It would be some extension of cvs:/moodle/course/category.php.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Having one course show up in several categories

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ahhhh.... that's a cool idea smile

I'm thinking that if category == faculty or school then there may be general or tutorial courses in each - it would be useful to only have one copy.

BUT.... may there be some sort of intelligent linking to groups or similar. So your group is defined by the category you cam from. It's early in the morning - am I going too far?? big grin
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Having one course show up in several categories

by Gustav W Delius -

Good morning Howard,

also for us the desire to have courses show up in several categories arose when thinking about using one category for each Department. There are some courses that are shared between Departments.

I don't think the intelligent linking to groups that you suggest is necessary. If a course is used by students from several faculties then they may well be in different groups, but which group a student is in should have nothing to do with which link they used to reach the course page.