Is there a download with only the upgrade changed files

Is there a download with only the upgrade changed files

by Jesús Jacir -
Number of replies: 6

I installed version 1.3.2 two days before 1.3.3 was made available and was wondering if there´s a way of not having to upload to the server all the files again to make the upgrade.

Is there a place where I can get the changed files only.  My first guess would be CVS but haven´t used it for a long time and don´t remember if there´s a way of downloading only the changed files.  Anyway since 1.3.2 wasn´t downloaded with CVS most likely the chaged files option wouldn´t work, or so I think.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jesús Jacir

Re: Is there a download with only the upgrade changed files

by Andrea Bicciolo -

A possibility could be the use of  a synchornize utility. Program such as Ipswitch WSFTP Pro can do this (you can download a free 30 day trial). You only need to configure the synch, then the utility analyze local file against remote file and upload changed ones only .

Of course you need to download Moodle 1.3.3 on your local computer. If you need only to download changed files, CVS is the solution but you need a previous CVS-downloaded copy on your local computer. Hope this help.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Jesús Jacir -

Thanks Andrea, I´ll give it a shot with WSFTP Por for this upgrade and, since I didn´t download 1.3.2 with CVS, will get a 1.3.3 CVS download to keep up with future changes.

In reply to Jesús Jacir

by Paul Evans -
The most common util under *nix systems for this is rsync, but unison also works well and is cross-platform. Both are free.

Here is a snippet from the unison page:

"Unison runs on both Windows (95, 98, NT, and 2k) and Unix (Solaris, Linux, etc.) systems. Moreover, Unison works across platforms, allowing you to synchronize a Windows laptop with a Unix server, for example. "

I use rsync between servers because it's always installed already, but I have been using unison between my pc and zaurus for a couple of years and it works very well. Very resilient to broken connections too.

Use the same overall plan suggested by Andrea.

You can read about it/grab it here:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

These utils also provide on-the-fly compression as needed and only transfer the actual changes to the files rather than the whole file, so you'll have even lower bandwidth.

Hope this is useful to you.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jesús Jacir

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Once you are using CVS then it only downloads changed files.  In fact it does better than that - it only downloads changed LINES, and it compresses them to boot.

CVS makes a lot of maintenance very easy.
In reply to Jesús Jacir

by Marc Dastous -

I'm giving this a shot.  I'm trying to setup WinCVS, but once I hit enter at the login screen I get an error:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle init

cvs [server aborted]: "init" requires write access to the repository

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

I have zipped together a couple of images.  Are these settings correct?

Marc