Beam Me Up Moodle!

Beam Me Up Moodle!

by Chris U -
Number of replies: 2

Ok, here goes... its a tough one I think...

• Server A sits in American Samoa
  • Server B sits in O'ahu
  • Server A & B are connected through a satellite transmission - minimum latency is >= 500 ms.

At this time I am able to replicate files in realtime using rsync. However... I would like Server A & Server B to have the same database information processed in realtime, basically a mysql ring replication like topology. The problems I run into include... lag and serious auto increment misses because of network latency.

Goal: Both sites in O'ahu & American Samoa have local copies of moodle database theorectically providing "fast" local access to each island.

Any ideas on how to approach this problem and reach my intended goal?

I was thinking about running a wide area cluster and having the load balancer direct traffic to specific servers. Thoughts please... approve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris U

Re: Beam Me Up Moodle!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm no expert and (I'm sorry) this sounds like a heap of trouble, but are you using MySql 4 or newer? Replication was completely overhauled and is allegedly much more tolerant of high latency situations.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Beam Me Up Moodle!

by Chris U -

Hrmmm. Yes you are right... Replication was completely overhauled and its good... however bidirectional replication over large network latency causes some problems...

I'm looking into constantdata.com will report back results... Has anyone else tried 3rd party replication software? My choice for constantdata.com > Write Ordering Fidelity.