Activity titles

Activity titles

by David Scotson -
Number of replies: 0

I notice that some Activities, Glossaries for example, reuse their given titles when they are displayed. Others, Resources to give one example, do not and only feature the title in the breadcrumb navigation.

I find myself wanting to repeat this information as a heading within my resources. This presents me with two problems.

• It breaks the DRY principle (Don't Repeat Yourself), one of the key pieces of advice proposed by the authors of my favourite computing book, The Pragmatic Programmer, which therefore makes this duplication appear inelegant and error prone to my programmer's mind.

• Resource autolinking is unaware that the title has special significance and so links it to itself as if it were any ordinary text.

Was this a positive design decision or did the inconsistency between Activities simply occur as development advanced?

Is there any occasion when displaying the title prominantly at the top of an Activity/Resource would be considered inappropriate? (other than for people who, like me, have already manually duplicated the title).

Average of ratings: -