html vs. php

html vs. php

by Birdie Newborn -
Number of replies: 2
I'm quite used to dealing with html. I also read a PHP book cover to cover. But I really don't know the relation between the two. Are Moodle pages in PHP with a smattering of HTML, or HTML with embedded PHP? How careful do I need to be to alter or add materials, particularly text materials?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Birdie Newborn

Re: html vs. php

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Most Moodle pages are HTML pages that are dynamically generated by PHP scripts.

Your content is quite separate and all stored either in the database or in the "data" directory that you specified during setup.  Your content can be anything you like - it won't interfere with the Moodle scripts in any way.
In reply to Birdie Newborn

Re: html vs. php

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Birdie,
    When you talk about "text material", are you meaning "course content"?  web pages designed for students to see and read?.

If this is the case, Moodle lets you create and introduce those materials without knowing HTML or PHP at all.  Moodle will allow any teacher who knows how to use a browser to create quite efficient "virtual  courses" and use them in actual teaching. No need to be a computer geek.

In fact, embeded scripts are stripped off from text introduced though Moodle editor. I think Moodle won't execute scripts in loaded HTML pages for security.  Maybe Martin can correct me  if I am wrong. Pages linked from external servers  will execute embeded scripts (in the remote server)

You only need to know PHP if you want to mess with Moodle's source code (hacking or customizing it to fit your needs)

- Enrique Castro -