How to enable student uploads when using HTML editor.

How to enable student uploads when using HTML editor.

by Frank Fulchiero -
Number of replies: 8
From posts in another area, I learned it is impossible for students to upload and use images using the HTML editor in NWiki, with the default Moodle and NWiki installs.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=103418

I asked if there is any way to enable students to upload and use image files in NWiki, using the HTML editor, and allow them to see the Insert Image dialog box, with the Browse/Upload buttons, but not exposing the entire File Browser.

We would much prefer using the HTML editor for some projects, but students not being able to upload images is a deal-killer. If anyone has any solutions or workarounds I would like to hear about them in either forum area.
Sorry for the cross-post, the subject straddled two topics.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Fulchiero

Re: How to enable student uploads when using HTML editor.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As a workaround have you thought of getting them to upload their images to an account such as Flickr (assuming it's not banned at your place) and then they can right click on their flickr image get its properties and insert that into the insert image dialog box?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Fulchiero -
Thanks for the tip. Decided to move the discussion here, as it seems more of a general HTML editor issue.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daphne Gonzalvez -

Flickr is a workaround. I can understand why students should not be given access to all Files in Moodle, but surely there can be an area in Files that is accessible to students. What is the point of the link generated [internal.....]? This is a bug that needs to be fixed urgently. Students need to be able to upload images and other files.

Wiki is a great activity, butits use is limited without the upload feature.

In reply to Daphne Gonzalvez

by Sally Mack -

I think I figured out a couple of work arounds for this in Firefox. A bit clunky, but it seemed to work when I changed my role to student.

1. Set up a Datbase to receive images. Students canupload to it. You can limit the upload size so they have to care about file size.Then upload their file to the data base, and right click on the link and choose copy link location then paste the link into the imageURL in the addImage dialogue box.

Alternatively put a link on the wiki inside a pair of square brackets, like so:[]

That only makes a link though.

2. Alternatively, allow attachments, and have the students upload the image file there, and use the procedure above.

If you have a bunch of students researching the same topic, and most likely finding the same pictures, the database option will allow to create a communal image repository, and reduce the load on your storage capacity.

I'd be interested to know if this works.

Sally Mack

In reply to Sally Mack

by Daphne Gonzalvez -

If Assignments, databases and glossaries allow students to upload images, why can't a Wiki. Moddata creates files for the three mentioned activities. A teacher or administrator can upload images into a Wiki, but not students. Does not make sense.

In reply to Daphne Gonzalvez

by Sally Mack -
My understanding is that you can have students upload files to a wiki using the little box that comes up in edit mode, but that the file size allowed is quite small. You thne use the [Internal ] link thing that comes up next.
But it would be nice to be able to do things simply.
In reply to Sally Mack

by Kim Sihota -
I'm really getting frustrated trying to allow students to include images in their WIkis. I have finally deleted the Wiki that was intalled in Moodle 1.9 and uploaded the latest NWiki.
Using the HTML editor students can upload images but they can not place them in the wiki. I don't know if this makes any difference but my uploaddata folder is outside my public_html and the files are being uploaded to uploaddata/users/usernumber
The link provided by the HTML editor displays http://MySite/user/file.php?file=/usernumber/image.name but no image displays.
I don't understand the relationship between /user/file.php and uploaddata/users . I thought the difference between user and users might be important but rplacing user with users in the path makes no difference.
When a teacher uploads an image the link provided by the HTML editor is
http://mySite/file.php?file=%2F2%2Fwiki%2FImage.name and the actual image appears to be stored in a course folder within the uploaddata folder, specifically uploaddata/2/wiki/image.name
Not only does the image appear in the Wiki but it also appears in the preview which it does not do for students.
I have tried changing the path to the image files uploaded by a student but I still can't get the images to display. I have altered permissions and ownership of the uploaddata folder but nothing seems to allow the images to display. I have also confirmed that the images are uploaded by the student.

Another annoyance that may or may not be related is that using firefox, the insert Image dialog always drops behind the main screen requiring me to manually bring it to the front before I can upload or insert images. Are these issues related to the Wiki or are they problems with the HTML editor? I am needing to use this feature with younger students so I really need a clear and simple method for uploading images.

Kim
In reply to Sally Mack

by Daphne Gonzalvez -

Thanks Sally

Did try this, but it does not work. It is a bug. As I said before, students can upload images in other activities, but not in a Wiki. Perhaps we'll get this feature working in version 2. Here's hoping smile