Students can't upload files using HTML editor

Students can't upload files using HTML editor

by Frank Fulchiero -
Number of replies: 9
We are running Moodle 1.9.1.
I notice that as a teacher I can upload files, using the HTML editor, but as a student in both Forums and NWIki, I can't upload files, I get the dialog box below, without the Browse-Upload buttons.

When the student creates a page using the NWiki/DFwiki editor, files can be uploaded, as they go to a separate area, so this may be an HTML editor or general permissions issue, not an NWiki one.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Attachment InsertImage.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Fulchiero

Re: Students can't upload files using HTML editor

by Frank Fulchiero -
Wondering if someone could run a test for me.
Try to upload an image using the HTML editor in NWiki, when logged in as a student. I am wondering if this just does not work, or is a problem with our server. This is on Moodle 1.9.1.

Thanking anyone for assistance.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Students have never been able to upload images with htmlarea image plugin (by default) because of this code in lib/editor/htmlarea/htmlarea.php:

<?php if(!empty($id) and has_capability('moodle/course:managefiles', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $id))) {
echo "insert_image.php?id=$id";
} else {
echo "insert_image_std.php?id=$id";
}?>

It's connected to capability to manage files (course files) - students use different popup than teachers and you can of course change the previous code or change roles and allow students to manage files but it is a "tiny" security risk. For example in forums students can upload one assignment with each post but they don't have direct access to course files.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Frank Fulchiero -
Mauno, thanks for the prompt response.
Is there any way to enable students to upload and use image files in NWiki, using the HTML editor, and allow them to see the Insert Image dialog box, with the Browse/Upload buttons, but not being able to see the entire File Browser?

After teaching "wikitalk" to 10 classes, I was looking forward to just going with a visual editor. I dislike cross-posts, but will also ask in the NWiki area...sorry for the duplication.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well I just posted there but I'll copy and paste here too (for once only ,despite cross posting!)
As a workaround have you thought of getting them to upload their images to an account such as Flickr (assuming it's not banned at your place) and then they can right click on their flickr image get its properties and insert that into the insert image dialog box?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Fulchiero -
Thanks for the tip. That is another option, allow them to upload to another file sharing area, and link to it. Though with Flickr and similar services you could get into privacy, copyright and account issues.

Right, we need to decide where to keep this thread going. I think it's more of an HTML editor issue than an NWiki one though it obviously affects the use of it.

by Kim Sihota -
This sounds like the same issue I have. I just installed the Storytelling module and on trying it out, noticed that as Admin I could upoad and place images but students were not presented with the browse (upload) link.
I figured I had not set permissions properly somewhere and have been hunting around for a solution when I came across this post.

I had hoped that students would be able to upload images for use in their stories as this is an important aspect of the task. Being younger students, I was hoping the insertion of images would be simple and easy. I don't see it being practical for young children to first upload to a third party image gallery and then copy and paste links. It will be hard enough to have them upload from a local drive and then place the uploaded image into the story.

I had hoped that students would have access to a personal folder where the could store and retrieve their own images and possibly another folder where images could be shared. Or, possibly that images could be stored in the database where they could be shared or kept private. Obviously this would have to work in conjunction with the HTML editor(s) in order for the images to be used easily by users.

Does anyone know if this exists or am I out of luck when it comes to using images with the HTML editors?

Thanks for any help.

Kim
In reply to Kim Sihota

by Frank Fulchiero -
Student uploading of images from the HTML editor is a missing feature that Moodle sorely needs. The best approach might be to automatically have a separate upload directory created for every student account in each course. Then, if there are "problem" files the teacher could immediately see where to go.

By default files would be uploaded here, but could not be deleted by students. Though this could be set course-by-course by the teacher. You would of course need the appropriate file type/file size filters.

The upload/link interface can be a subset of the one currently available to teachers, but students would only see the contents of their own upload folder.

As the HTML editor is used in several activities a global solution, that is, not specific to say NWiki, would be best.

I also like your idea of having an additional common student file sharing folder, then a student can decide whether to upload to their private folder, or the public one, and from which to use an image.

by Rob Johnson -
We are using the Exabis ePortfolio block in Mods and Plugins for student file upload/sharing. We have renamed the block "My Files/ePortfolio. That might be an option.

Rob
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Adam Greene -
A workaround to this issue (that you may already be aware of) is that students can, when posting, include an attachment. The option is below the HTML editor and above the "Post to Forum" button. If they attach a JPG, for example, it will be displayed within their post, at the end. Less flexible, but easy to use.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)