Backing up with CPanel

Backing up with CPanel

by James Marshall -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

Can somoene explain how to backup the Moodle database in CPanel?

I dont have command line access and only have a limited amount of knowkledge with cron jobs. I have access to a basic and unix style cron manager but only have 2 entries - 1 of which is used.

Could someone explain how to do this?

Thanks,
JameZ
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Marshall

Re: Backing up with CPanel

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear JameZ

You can save the whole mysql database in CPanel but you only need one cron firing on moodle to get moodle to do everything. And if you do not use even one cron on Moodle then not only will you not have any backups, you won't have any notifications from the forums either. So if I were you I would set up the cron and use Moodle's backup facility.

It is a good idea to save the database when moving moodles or updatiing though.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by James Marshall -
I need to know what to type in to create the backups though.

I dont know how to set up a cron job...i just know the basic features.

What should I type in to get it to backup once a week?

Thanks,
J

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear James Marshall

Once you have set up the cron job then it is not a question of "typing in" -- you can use the Moodle adminstration screen. From the main Moodle site administration page there is a link saying backups and you can set moodle to save backups to the course folders once a week. It is as easy as pie.

As I said above, your Moodle will need a cron any way. It will need the cron for forum notifications, for subscription mails and autolinking to glossary entries. Without subscription emails noone will become a member of your moodle (unless you are using an external password database.)

I do not know how to set up a cron on your system. I have a linux computer so it is easy to set up a cron just by typing in the instruction on the installation page. I suggest you get in touch with your Internet services provider to ask them how to set up a cron.

You can use CPANEL to create database backups but not automatically, once a week (you need Moodle to do that, or more control over your system than you have at present). To make a manual backup just click on the word "backup" and an icon looking like this backup in CPANEL and the rest is pretty self-explanitory. You can download and upload copies of your database.

If you want to make manual backups that is just as easy using moodle too.

Tim
Timothy Takemoto

I write people's names at the top of responses since I find it so difficult to know when a response is addressed to me.

by Jeff Wood -

Hi JameZ,

I currently do NOT use the moodle backup feature.

I use CPanel and use its backup feature to

1. back up my moodle database

2. Backup entire site

Both these can be easily done through the CPanel by clicking on

1. Backup

2. Download a MySQL Database Backup

3.Generate/Download a Full Backup to create the backup (will take time) then  download once complete

Hope this helps

J