Assigning roles to users

Assigning roles to users

by Paula Edmiston -
Number of replies: 2
(boy, I sure like the edit option! I hit return after the subject line and posted a blank message!)

I understand that a user can be entered into the system on the admin page but I'm not clear on when and where users should be entered.

It seems to me that students are NOT entered via the "Add a User" option on the admin page; they should register for an account via the home page login. Right? It's teachers and admins who get added via the admin page?

That doesn't seem right either. I am confused about what the admin page "add a user" is for and when it should be used instead of creating an account via the 'login' option on the home page.

I did initially try to register a teacher via the home page login/register on the home page and she ended up as a student.

I guess I'm not seeing a distinction between teachers and students in the system. For example, when I go to the page to assign teachers to classes, student names on the potential list as well as the people I intend to be teachers.

I may be trying to make moodle too broad. I'm trying to cover classes I teach as well as classes taught at a Pennsylvania university (so I can demonstrate to them how moodle can be useful to them)

I hope this is not too muddled!! I should go and get some sleep. (but this is so cool I can't stop!)

thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paula Edmiston

Re: Assigning roles to users

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
OK, the overall idea here is to reduce the maintenance work for admins and teachers as much as possible.

A typical scenario:

The admin creates a few user accounts for teachers, and assigns them to courses. The admin may choose to delegate this role by creating more admins or course creators.

Each teacher sets up their own course, which may include an enrolment key.

Each student sets up their own user account, and enrols themselves in their own courses. To get the enrolment key they correspond with the teacher outside of Moodle (eg private email, phone, face-to-face class etc).

There isn't a clear-cut distinction between teachers and students at the user level because a single user might be a student in one course and a teacher in another.

Is that clearer?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Assigning roles to users

by Paula Edmiston -
Oh yes, that clarifies a great deal. I'd already grasped it in fact, but just dind't trust my own understanding of the situation. And yes,I definitely like the concept of a person being both a student in one class and a teacher in another class!

Thanks for all your patience!