audio files in moodle 1.9

audio files in moodle 1.9

by Antonella Veccia -
Number of replies: 17
Hi,
does anyone know how to insert an audio file in the quiz module?
thanks a lot
Antonella
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Antonella Veccia

Re: audio files in moodle 1.9

by Gyorgy Szentgyorgyi -
Hi Antonella,

I think your question is how to put an audio file in a question. Here it is how you can do it.
  1. Prepare your audio file in mp3 format on your machine.
  2. Start editing your question the usual way.
    text1
  3. In this text the audio player will replace the word "put".

4. Select the word "put" putand press the link button.
  5. When the insert window comes up locate the mp3 file on your computer, upload and choose it .
  6. The "put" word will turn into a link. put2
  7. You won't see the player here but don't panic.
  8. You have to delete the "put" link. For this change the editor into HTML mode clicking on the html button.
  9. And now this is the worst part if you don't write HTML code. Locate in the text in the link that consists of the word "put". It looks like this:

The player is <a title="mp3" href="http://ceptap.com/pictures/0000704.mp3"">put </a>here.

10. Delete the word "put". The rest is:

The player is here.

11. Go back to the normal editor window pressing again the <> button.
  12. Your sentence now is:

The player is here.

It's really there but cannot be seen.
  13. Finish your question, and close the editor window. Your question will look like this:

This is the question which consists of an audio file.
    The player is here.

That's how it can be done. One more important thing. I guess you want to ask more than one question using the same audio file. The only way you can do it to choose the Embedded Answers (Cloze) type question.

Have fun: Gyorgy
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gyorgy Szentgyorgyi

by Marc Grober -
Or are you asking about embedding the audio file so it plays onLoad?

by Michelle Moore -
You can bypass the need to go into the code if you link to spaces instead of words. smile

For example, instead of typing "put," I'll just hit the space bar two or three times. You can select and link to the space just as you can a word and you eliminate the extra step of deleting the text.

To cover all of the bases for Antonella though, I will add that if you would like to embed audio in the choices of the multiple choice question, that is possible too. You are not limited to audio in just the question itself.

To add audio or images to the answer choices, you have to enter the HTML code into the text field since there is no HTML editor there. Since I don't know HTML well enough to enter the code from memory, I will use the process Gyorgy described above in one of the feedback boxes (or somewhere with the HTML editor) and then at step 8, where you toggle to the source code, the difference will be that you just want to copy (and then delete) the code that is there and paste it into the answer field. Again, the same process works for adding images or video. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michelle Moore

by Gyorgy Szentgyorgyi -
Hi Michelle,

One word to your solution of using spaces instead of deleting the link completely. The problem is if you use spaces the link is still on the page it just cannot be seen. But if somebody accidentally moves the mouse cursor over the spaces the arrow turns into hand cursor and clicking the left button the file can be downloaded. So it is not safe if you want to prevent your students from downloading the files.

Gyorgy

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gyorgy, your remark is technically correct. However, pedagogically, I do not see why you would want to prevent the students from downloading an audio file.
Joseph
PS.- I use Moodle quizzes for teaching/learning purposes, not for testing.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gyorgy Szentgyorgyi -
Hi Joseph,

Of course you are right, but in my opinion the tests are not the places to download files. Simply the consistency of the questions and the look and feel that I bear in mind when I'm talking about the unnecessary links. For example I use an HTML block along my course where all downloadable materials are summed up.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Michelle Moore -
Good point Gyorgy. I had wondered if you would mention that by using the spaces, the link could still be found. smile

My primary objective in using the spaces is to simplify things for the learner--so all they see is the player for the audio. I've found that if I link to text, learners will often click on that as well--not realizing that it is the same file in the player.

I do occasionally run into users who want to limit the ability to download proprietary audio, so knowing how to eliminate that link will likely be useful to some as well.

by shailendra pratap -
thank so muc for ur answer .....kindly tel me the way to add video on moodle...
In reply to Antonella Veccia

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
See this old post (oct. 2005), still valid!
Joseph

Απάντηση: Re: audio files in moodle 1.9

by Eleni Konidari -
Hello all , i managed to insert mp3 files but i still have a problem.
Next to the player , there is always the phrase (mp3 audio) .
Do you know any way to remove it ?
And also how can you choose the type of the icon(player that appears)?
Thanks in advance.

In reply to Eleni Konidari

Re: Απάντηση: Re: audio files in moodle 1.9

by Joseph Rézeau -
Eleni:

Next to the player , there is always the phrase (mp3 audio) .
Do you know any way to remove it ?

1.- Can you post a screenshot please?
2.- That is the standard moodle mp3 flash player. If you want to use another player, there are plenty available on the Web.
Joseph

by Bhargava S -

Hi All,

I followed the procedure mentioned by Gyogy. It was fine earlier i think. But now two audio players come up sad . One the black small one and another big blue one.

Please somebody guide on this sad

In reply to Bhargava S

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sounds like you have both the Multimedia filter and the PoodLL filter setup to play mp3's. Turn one of them off. If you are using Moodle 2.9, you can turn individual filters on/off for the quiz instead of for the whole Moodle site.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Bhargava S -

Hi Al,

Yes, that was the issue. Now i get only 1 audio player. Thanks.

In reply to Eleni Konidari

by Carlos Gomez -

I'm having the same problem.  I can't get rid of the "mp3 audio" text that appears in front of the player.

The audio player works just fine but the problem is that if a students happens to click on the "mp3 audio" link, it opens up a new window and I don't want the user to navigate away from the course.  

I have tried to install other media players but haven't been successful.  Any recommendations?