HotPot export format usage

Re: HotPot export format usage

by Gordon Bateson -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Marc

> As I understand it, the HotPot module only accepts htm files.

Actually that's not the whole story.

Moodle's HotPot module accepts
  • the html files created with JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix and JQuiz in Hot Potatoes 6
  • XML files (.jcl, .jcr, .jmt, .jmx, .jqz) created with JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix and JQuiz in Hot Potatoes 6
  • the html files created with Micheal Rottmeier modifications (DropDown, FindIt3a+b) to JCloze in Hot Potatoes 6
  • the html files created with WebRhubarb and WebSequitur in TexToys 3
> However, Hotpot outputs two versions of SCORM,
> Web CT, Blackboard not to mention its native format.
> Am I correct here?

By "Hotpot" in this sentence, I assume you mean "Hot Potatoes 6" and not "Moodle's HotPot module". On my version of Hot Potatoes 6, there are menu options for WebCT and SCORM 1.2. I don't see "two versions of SCORM" and I don't see Blackboard. Perhaps, I have misunderstood what you mean?

As you say, each Hot Potatoes 6 program (JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix and JQuiz) has its own "native format" which is actually just an XML file.

> I also understand that one could save a hotpot as
> SCORM for example, but would have to use another
> module to interface it.

Yes that sounds right. If you saved an exercise from JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix or JQuiz in SCORM 1.2 format, you could run that via Moodle's SCORM module.

> I am wondering if there is a matrix somewhere in Moodle
> that sets out the various formats one could use for
> quizzes/tests versus the modules one would use to use
> them in Moodle together with cost/benefit of each approach?

As far as I know, no-one has yet produced such a matrix. The current HotPot module is intended for the distribution of Hot Potatoes and TexToys exercises in which the students are guided to discover knowledge for themselves. It is not intended for testing, so for example the answers to the questions are include in the javascript that is sent to the browser, and the students usually have an unlimited number of chances to find the right answer.

> I understand that SCORM could provide more detail than hotpot,
> if the SCORM module could access that detail??

With respect, I understand differently. I think the SCORM module only gives the start time, finish time and score, whereas the HotPot module gives several reports of gradually increasing detail: overview, simple statistics, detailed statistics and even a "click trail report" if you enable it. The HotPot reports show individual answers to individual attempts at HotPot activities and they also show class-wide trends such as averages, common errors, distractors that were ignored.

hope that helps
Gordon

P.S. I do not use the SCORM module on a data to day basis though so my knowledge of what it can and can't do is patchy at best