Any known problems with JMatch giving incorrect answers

Any known problems with JMatch giving incorrect answers

by Adam Turner -
Number of replies: 4

I dont see any problems with my question input but in the output of JMatch to my moodle site, students are getting incorrect responses.

This does not seem to be the case when I do the quiz without uploading it to moodle.

Any ideas. Image screenshot attached below. The problem is "first name" showing incorrect.

(Korean students have difficulty with the order of English names at times.)

Attachment incorrect_Jmatch.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Turner

Re: Any known problems with JMatch giving incorrect answers

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Probably the HotPot module is confused by the duplicate items on the RHS.

Please could you upload the quiz (both the jmt file and the htm file) to my server so I can check what is happening:

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Adam,
thanks for sending the quizzes. I have uploaded them to my Moodle 1.8 site, and I was able to replicate what you found.

The htm files seem to work OK when administered via Moodle. Is that right? In which case, the quizk workaround for you, is to use the html files in cases such as this when there are duplicate items on the RHS.

To fix the problem when the quiz is administered from the jmt files, I will probably have to change the templates, update the script that merges the templates and the jmt file, or both.

I will let you know if and when I am able to do that.

all the best
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Adam,
I have fixed the script which creates JMatch HotPots from jmt files, so that it can cope with duplicate items on the right-hand side.

I will commit the fixes to Moodle CVS repository later today, and you will be able to download them next week.

cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I have just committed the fix for the HotPot module to allow for duplicates and distractors in the RHS of a JMatch when generating browser output from a jmt file.

This will fix the problem you had in your "names" quiz Adam.

While I was at it, I submitted some fixes for JCloze (jcl file) and JQuiz (jqz file) so that the size of text boxes depends on the length of the longest answer. Additionally, for JQuiz hybrid and shortanswer questions, if the answer is longer than 29 chars, a (multi-line) textarea will be shown instead of a (one-line) text box.

I made the above fixes to the HotPot module in Moodle 1.6 - 1.9, and the CVS HEAD branch which will one day become Moodle 2.0.

The modified scripts will be probably be available from CVS and the Moodle downloads page sometime soon after next Wednesday.

Adam, thanks again for reporting this problem approve

regards
Gordon