Some students cannot assess

Some students cannot assess

by Stacy Peters-Walters -
Number of replies: 3

I am using version 1.8.1+. The instructor has set up a workshop that allows students to assess up to three other students' work. Two of the students can only see their own files. The other students can see and assess the other files. The end date for assessing submissions is still a day out, but they can't see anyone to assess. Any ideas on what is happening and how to help this student? Thanks - Stacy Peters-Walters

Kilian Community College

Sioux Falls, SD

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stacy Peters-Walters

Re: Some students cannot assess

by Karen Parsons -

I have had the same problems with this and put up a discussion - but got no response. Sorry I still do not have the answer

In reply to Stacy Peters-Walters

by John Isner -
I have not used the Workshop much, but I think your problem may have to do with the Over allocation setting. If the setting is zero (the default), it means that you want every work to be peer-assessed the same number of times, i.e., the peer assessments should be "balanced." The help file for this setting says "Ideally all peer assessments should be balanced. However, the disadvantage is that some students will not have their full quota of submissions to assess until AFTER the last student has submitted their work."

Have all the students submitted their own work? Or are submissions still coming in? Obviously, a submission cannot be peer-assessed until its submission is complete. I assume submission is complete when either (1) the End of submissions date/time is reached or (2) the work is submitted and Allow resubmission = No.

These are simply some ideas to think about. As I said, I'm no expert.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to John Isner

by Stacy Peters-Walters -
Thank you John. The Over Allocation setting was the problem. Because it is a small class, I had to switch the Over Allocation to 2 so that some submissions could be assessed more than once. Thanks for your help. Stacy