Adding static pages between questions in a lession

Adding static pages between questions in a lession

by Prem Shankar -
Number of replies: 9
Hello All:

I am trying to create a workflow using Lesson module. There will a number of questions in the lesson interspersed with static pages. The purpose of adding the page is to display useful information to the students that would help them in solving the subsequent questions. Is there a way to achieve this?

Thank you.

Prem
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Prem Shankar

Re: Adding static pages between questions in a lession

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Prem

There are two possibilities to achieve what you want.

Option 1- Add a Question page
  1. from the tabs, select Multiple choice
  2. enter the text of your "static page" in the Page contents box
  3. do not enter any text in any question or response box
  4. leave Jump1 set to "next page"
  5. Click the save page button
Option 2- Add a Branch table
  1. enter the text of your "static page" in the Page contents box
  2. in the Description 1 box, enter "Continue" or "Next Page" (or any similar message which will be displayed on a button at the bottom of your static page).
  3. leave Jump1 set to "next page"
  4. click the Add a Branch table button

Joseph

PS.- Chris, as maintainer of the Lesson documentation, would you please add these instructions in the documentation? It's a pity though that there is no "Description" tab in the Edit Question Page tabs list, it would make things much easier!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Prem Shankar -
Thanks, Joseph, for solving my problem. A bit embarrassing though, that I did not think of at least Option 1.
In reply to Prem Shankar

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No need to be embarrased, the solution was far from obvious. The Moodle Lesson module has been needing a complete overhaul of its user interface for ... years.
Joseph

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Prem and Joseph,
I will figure out a place (s) and anybody else is always welcome to jump into MoodleDocs. New perspectives are good.

Prem, where were the first 2 or 3 places that you looked? This will help us (or just me) look at things differently. For example, I like your use of the word "static". It is a different way of describing the least challenging or least interactive or perhaps what I might call a "simple page" in Lesson. I liked your question.

Joseph, I at first I was a little confused about a "Description" tab but I am a little thick this morning. You want it as a question type. As you know, I don't like the name "Branch table", I want to call it a "Branch page" or a "Choice page" which allows the teacher to form branches. And personally, I still have not figured out why teacher would use a question page when they are not asking a question smile For me a description page or a static page or a simple page is a branch table. Thus I conclude that a renamed "branch table" page belongs on the "Edit Page" tab list as you have suggested.

Then there is the use of the word "page" which includes those special navigation direction nodes in the logical order called "end of branch", "start cluster", "end cluster". From a student perspective, these are not pages because these things are never seen (I think I am right in saying that). So from an interface perspective we have 7 basic page types.

That would get rid of a lot of clutter on the expanded view interface. Add a page, import pages, add a "special node". Then in the collapsed view the words "Add a page" could read "Insert" and the pull down remains the same.

Do those concepts work from an interface point of view? I sort of remember a discussion of having the ability to build a custom page by adding elements to it. But I agree with you Joseph, Lesson needs a face lift (similar to the collapsed and expanded views) with the interface and some resources devoted to function improvements (imports come to mind).

So Prem, please do not be embarrassed by thinking you overlooked something. It has led to a discussion about page types in Lesson and what we call them and how we present them. This in turn will help the development of future improvements to Lesson.

Best to all, Chris

for Static is another word for non-interactive. What ever we call it,
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Collman

by Joseph Rézeau -
Chris > Joseph, I at first I was a little confused about a "Description" tab... You want it as a question type.

Exactly, I was actually referring to the terminology used in the Quiz activity, with which I am more familiar than the Lesson activity (see attached).

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg

by Chris Collman -
I see. Thanks for the picture, very effective.

Naming things is important when (forever optimistic) Question Bank becomes available in Lesson. "Description" is too long for me, but I will admit it is better than my "Grade neutral page". "Content" might be better but will we confuse it with the content area of each page? "Branch" will not work in Quiz because that is not a function of a quiz.

You and Prem inspired me to spend some time this morning looking at the lesson module page. Guess I am going to put a North American English stamp on it. smile I noticed that Lesson ranks in the top 10 in terms of "longest" pages in MoodleDocs and I think it is to complicated for an overview. I am trying to reduce the words and also trying to remember the wide range of language skills of our Moodle Community.

For example, I looked at the logical and navigational order section. Humm. Chris says to himself, don't you think you could call "logical order", "edit order" for a simpler translation. I think I created that section because existing documentation referred to the logical order. But the section itself is really about Jumps, the order sets the stage. So while I am patching, I am wondering about reorganizing major parts of Lesson Module Doc in a different "logical" way. big grin

Sigh, well I had best be getting back to my two other jobs.

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Prem Shankar -
Hello Chris and Joseph:

I am glad I started evaulating moodle for my needs, as this is one of the most responsive communities I have been associated with. Thanks to both of you for your detailed emails.

>>Prem, where were the first 2 or 3 places that you looked? This will help us (or just me) look at things differently. For example, I like your use of the word "static". It is a different way of describing the least challenging or least interactive or perhaps what I might call a "simple page" in Lesson. I liked your question.
I looked at the "Chapter 9 - Lessons" in the book "Using Moodle". Then I was just playing with the User Interface of the Lesson module by trying to create one. If this helps in putting the discussion in perspective, I have a 3 days experience with Moodle, although many years with Software Development.

Another wish I had with lesson was a reduced number of page loads. If the number of times one presses "Submit" or similar action while taking a lesson can be reduced by using Javascript/Ajax, that would be just fabulous. My target users would typically have slow internet speeds, so, this will be a great feature for them.

Best regards.

Prem
In reply to Prem Shankar

by Prem Shankar -
More specifically, I was hoping to find this feature at the following two places:

1. Page 149 in the pdf book "Using Moodle" - "Add a Question Page" - I thought it would be more intuitive(for me) if it had "Add a Page".

2. At Page 150, I was hoping to find "Add a Static Page" where the other options like "Add a Cluster" etc are described . In Moodle GUI, I thought, a good place could be under "Actions" dropdown. There could be an option "Add a static page" or some such option.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Prem
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Prem Shankar

by Chris Collman -
Hi Prem,
I am glad you are using that book and more importantly getting answers to your questions in a forum.

I spend a lot of time in MoodleDocs, which is a wiki put up by moodle.org. Helen Foster is the MoodleDoc administrator and also helped Jason Cole with the writing of the latest PDF book on Moodle. I will point out your comment to her.

"A rose by any other name is..." hard to find in Moodle. You saw how both "static" and "description" pages in this thread had me rubbing my bald head. However, now when someone does a search on "static" in MoodleDocs, they might end up on the Lesson Pages Tips & suggestions section. One of the tips should look familiar.

I definitely like to encourage people to look at MoodleDocs - the wiki.

Thanks for your two replies. Chris