Lesson Percent in the Gradebook?

Lesson Percent in the Gradebook?

by Tim Prost -
Number of replies: 15
I have a question regarding how the lesson grades appear in the student user report in the gradebook.

The "Grade" column displays correctly but the "Percent" column is not displaying the correct percentage.

For example, one of my lessons was worth 9 points. Let's assume a student earned 8.5 out of 9. In the user report, the "Grade" column correctly displays 8.5 but the "Percent" column displays 8.5% which is clearly wrong. It should be 94%. Whatever a student earns as the raw grade, the gradebook is simply displaying that value as their percentage as well (apparently without dividing by the total points for the lesson to get the true percentage). I've had worried students emailing me regarding this situation. This also effects the calculation of their course total percent.

This only effects the lesson grades as far as I can tell. The percents for quizzes, etc. are displaying correctly.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known bug?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Prost

Re: Lesson Percent in the Gradebook?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Which version of Moodle are you using?
In reply to Tim Prost

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators
Same issue here. I'm using Moodle 1.9 too. It seems Lesson is using always a maximum grade of 100 regardless of the "Maximum grade" setting in "Updating: Lesson" page.

Also, you can note that if you "show ranges" in the "Grader report" page, the range of all lessons is always 0-100, regardless of the "Maximum grade" setting.

As a workaround, you can either set a maximum grade of 100 in your lessons or, alternatively, group all lessons in one (or several) grading categories and set a specific formula to calculate the category grading correctly.
In reply to Tim Prost

by Garret Brady -
Hi Tim,
did you ever find a solution to the problem of percents calculated wrongly in the user report?

Each of my assignments is worth 2 marks.
I mark my assignments out of 100%, so 100% -> 2 marks.
I find it most convenient to enter marks out of 100 in the assignment grades page, as setting the maximum grade to 2 means that I can only enter 0, 1 or 2 as a grade for the assignment.

I set a multiplicator of 0.02 for the assignments, so 100% appears as 2 marks in the grader report and user report, and all assignment marks are added up correctly.

However, the percent column in the user report calculates the % wrong.
A student getting 95% for an assignment will get 1.9 marks out of 2. This appears in the Grade column correctly. But the corresponding percent column gives just 1.95%!

Any help on this would be warmly appreciated.
Thanks
Garret.
In reply to Garret Brady

by Márcio Benedito -
Hi All!

I have this problem too, in a 1.9.2 version. I hope a solution to the problem of percents calculated wrongly in the user report too!!!
In reply to Tim Prost

by Bill Parsons -
I think the deal is that you must set the "Maximum Grade" in the lesson setup to 100% if you want the points given for each question to be calculated out of 100%. You must also set the "Custom Scoring" to YES so that you can assign a single point to each correct answer. I think the 2 settings work together.

If you set the Maximum grade to the same as the total points you simply get whatever points the student gets right for your final grade.

In reply to Bill Parsons

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
I have my settings as you describe and now the assignment is worth 100pts and 100% in my gradebook, even though I have 3 questions, each worth 1 pt each. This was working just fine in 1.8 and earlier versions. Any other ideas????
In reply to Bill Parsons

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Bill (and Debra),

There is obviously a bug in the way Lesson grades are transmitted to the Gradebook in Moodle 1.9+ (I am using moodle 1.9.4 latest version).

The only way for Lesson grades to be correctly entered in the Gradebook is to set the Lesson Maximum Grade value to 100%.

Any other Maximum Grade value will result in that Maximum Grade value being entered in the Gradebook as the student's grade.sad

This means that - as things stand at the moment - the Lesson Maximum Grade is useless and it is not possible to give to Lesson results a weight other than 100%.

See attached screenshot.

Please vote for bug report MDL-17101 if you want the bug fixed...

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thank you. I just posted to bug tracker as well. I will remove mine and vote for yours. This is HORRIBLE. I can not have every lesson worth 100pts. It has totally disabled our ability to use our lessons for grades. EEEEEK. Hope hope is on the way or I will be hung!!!

Lesson maximum set to 100 workaround

by Vicki Walter -

Thank you so much Joseph. We just upgraded to 1.9 and I have spent the last 4 hours tryng different settings to get this to work correctly. While I am not happy about making lessons worth 100%, I think that I can use a lesson category and a weighting formula to work around it for now. Of course this means that I will need to weight everything in my course to get the course grades to come out right. If anyone has a better solution, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Lesson maximum set to 100 workaround

by Vicki Walter -

Thank you so much Joseph. We just upgraded to 1.9 and I have spent the last 4 hours tryng different settings to get this to work correctly. While I am not happy about making lessons worth 100%, I think that I can use a lesson category and a weighting formula to work around it for now. Of course this means that I will need to weight everything in my course to get the course grades to come out right. If anyone has a better solution, please let me know.

Thanks again.

In reply to Vicki Walter

Re: Lesson maximum set to 100 workaround

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
This problem still has not been resolved. We tested out a recent patch with no luck. Back to the drawing board sad
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Michael Penney -
HI Debra, the patch is for 1.9.4 - are you having problems on 1.9.4?

1.9.2 - no one should be running it as Petr mentioned in the ticket - but if you've installed activity locking and backported the critical 1.9.4 security patches, then you know how to add in custom code, so it should be easy enough to backport the patch to your codebase.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Yes I am running v1.9.2+ due to activity locking. Remote Learner is working on making this patch work for us. Thanks for the post. Keeping my fingers crossed.