Embedding a hotpot exercise into a lesson

Embedding a hotpot exercise into a lesson

by James Phillips -
Number of replies: 10
Hello all,

Is there any way to embed a hotpot exercise into a page of a lesson? I used coursegenie to do this before but would much rather use the lesson module itself with some hotpot exercises embedded in lesson pages themselves. I thought there might be some way of writing code directly in using the text editor so as to link to the hotpot file and then specify the size of the frame it appears in but I am not sure if I am barking up the wrong tree and have no idea how to actually do this.

Best regards,

James Phillips
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Phillips

Re: Embedding a hotpot exercise into a lesson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi James,

I'm afraid there's no way to do this at the moment, but the new HotPot module, coming out later this month (Aug 2007), will be able to build a seqence of pages, including HotPot quizzes, into "units", which will be a little like the "lessons" of the "Lesson" module. Perhaps that would suit your needs.

Anyway, if you keep an eye out on the HotPot forum, you'll get news of when the new HotPot module is available.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by James Phillips -
Hi Gordon,

That does indeed sound perfect. I need it about two months ago! Let me know if you need anyone to beta-test it until it breaks. Am I correct in interpreting you answer to mean that I will be able to have a lesson page, then a hot-pot quiz, then another lesson page? That would be excellent because I would really like to combine the use of regular expressions with hot potatoes quizzes. That would be just about perfect.

Best regards,

James Phillips

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> Am I correct in interpreting you answer to mean that
> I will be able to have a lesson page, then a hot-pot quiz,
> then another lesson page?

Not quite. A single HotPot activity for the new HotPot module will be a series of pages created by external HTML and quiz editors. A page can be static HTML or a quiz created with some external editor, such as Hot Potatoes. You will be able to create static pages and quiz pages and define the order in which they are to be displayed. You can lock certain pages until certain conditions have been passed, and you can define automatic or manual branching at the end of a quiz depending on the score of the quiz and what the student wants to do next.

However, you will not be able to flip-flop between the Lesson module and the HotPot module and keep track of what the student did. At the moment, the modules in Moodle are too independant for that to happen elegantly.
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by James Phillips -
Just to resume this conversation, I notice that if you have a lesson that you then put into edit mode, you now get an "import questions" option. One of the options on the list is now "hot potatoes format". However, when I try to import a hot potatoes question I get a message that the file is "not recognized as a hot potatoes XML file. Which leads me to my question. How do you create a hot potatoes XML file? I can't see any export or save as option that gives an XML file as an option in the hot potatoes program.

I am still battling with the problem of how to insert a hot potatoes exercise into the middle of a lesson. It would save me an awful lot of trouble if it were possible.

Best regards,

James Phillips

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Would it not be acceptable to make the hotpotato activity separately from the lesson and then hyperlink to it within the lesson page?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi James,
Please note that the only stage where you can indeed import questions (from various formats) into the Lesson is immediately after creating a new lesson. You cannot import questions into a Lesson which already contains questions.
You do not import "a hot potatoes question" into the Lesson, you import a whole Hot Potatoes exercise, consisting of usually more than one question.
When you create a HP exercise on your computer, using the HP software, you save it under 2 different types of files: a) the original HP format, which is e.g. for the JQuiz exercises a *.jqz file and b) an HTML file.
The HP original files are in fact XML files, there is nothing more to do about them.
I have just tested importing HP files into a new Lesson on my moodle 1.9.4 installation. I can report success with the following HP types: JQuiz (OK), JMatch (not quite right).
Please note that you will lose all image & audio links in the import process.
This import process will not really answer your query to " insert a hot potatoes exercise into the middle of a lesson". There are other ways to do it, but you'll have to accept the fact that the HP grades will not be transmitted to the gradebook.
Hope that helps.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This import process will not really answer your query to " insert a hot potatoes exercise into the middle of a lesson". There are other ways to do it, but you'll have to accept the fact that the HP grades will not be transmitted to the gradebook.

Agreed, which is why it might be a workaround to do it as I suggested?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Phillips -
Hi Mary and Joseph (no pun intended!),
I don't want a pop-up because this is for a business course and users seem to have problems with anything that is not as straightforward as possible. If it is a pop-up then when the exercise is closed it will introduce another course window which will then have to be closed and this introduces lots of potential problems with regards to the flow of the lesson. I had a system where they popped up in the middle of the exercises that I made using course genie but this was a nightmare to administer. I do not need the HP grades transmitted to the grade book, so what other ways might there be to do it? I also tried simply pasting the code into the text editor in text mode but there seems to be some java-related code that doesn't get across if this approach is used. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
James, here we go...
  1. Create a HP exercise on your local computer.
  2. Export as HTML
  3. Upload the HTML HP exercise to your moodle course files
  4. In moodle, create a lesson (or use an already created lesson)
  5. create a Branch Table (funny terminologywink)
  6. on the Branch Table edit page, in the Page contents HTML editor, click on the Toggle HTML source button
  7. in the HTML source, write this code: <iframe height="400" width="100%" src="http:/moodle/file.php/9/choices.htm"></iframe>
  8. of course replace the URL in red with the actual URL address of your HP exercise in your course files
  9. you may have to customize the height and width parameters according to your HP exercise "size"; experiment
  10. save
See result on attached screenshot. Your HP exercise is "embedded" inside your Lesson page. Please note that the scores obtained by the students in that HP embedded exercise will not be passed on to either the HP activity nor the Lesson activity and therefore will not be passed on to the gradebook.
Hope this will help,
Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by James Phillips -
Hi Joseph!
Thank you! That is exactly what I've been after!
Best regards,

James