Media filter does not work for rm files

Media filter does not work for rm files

by Norbert Berger -
Number of replies: 13

HI,

Since I upgraded to 1.8, Firefox browers have not displayed rm video properly any more. There is a prompt to download or upgrade Realplayer.

In IE7, the filter still works to display but does not start the video automatically as before. Also an error message is reported on the page.

For comparison, I'll provide a link here: http://media.ngberger.com:8080/ramgen/real8video.rm.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Norbert Berger

Re: Media filter does not work for rm files

by Norbert Berger -

I reported this as a bug when I first found it. A workaround was suggested, but that then displayed two player interfaces in Firefox and nothing at all in IE7.
Please, please, please, pretty please! Will somebody fix this?

Norbert G. Berger

by Christophe Naud -
Hello, I might be wrong but remember one thing first : this is not moodle which is responsible for the fact Real media (rm) or Windows... media or... files work or not with your navigators. The media filter in Moodle is just a set of autorisations to start automatically audios or videos with different formats (rm, wmv, flv, swf, etc.) However the only formats which are completely ok with moodle, need nothing at all are mp3 and flv.
For rm, your problem is rather a "plugin" one. You should install or reinstall Real Player which will probably propose you to install the appropriate plugins for Firefox and IE. If Real Player is set up correctly, you should see the correct Real Player appears so as to read your doc. Working for sure with Firefox ; about IE, ask a Windows expert...
Regards,
xophe
x
In reply to Christophe Naud

by Norbert Berger -
Hi Christophe,

Does this page work for you? You are not saying it does.

Reinstalling Realplayer? Tried but keeping getting the same error messages.

If anyone tells me this page displays properly on their browser, then I agree it's nothing to do with the media filters on the server, but with something on my machine, and hundreds of others here.

Everything here is as the doc suggests, so why does it not work?

frustrated
Norbert

by Christophe Naud -
the link to your rm doc is read without problem by my real player v.11 (as an external link). However the embedded player doesn't appear and firefox still ask me to download 10.5 version (check the version it proposes you to download). If you have an older version of Real... desinstall everthing and try with it. It must be a Real player version problem. See another post I send before this one.

by Norbert Berger -

Hi again,

As you say, the links work fine, regardless from the browser used. So with links, the Realplayer software or compatible players, e.g. Mediaplayer Classic are launched and playback is no problem.

This leads me to think it's not really an issue with the player software, but with how the browsers interpret the media filter code: Firefox reports that regardless of which RealPlayer version is installed a plugin is missing, and it wants 10.5, which then fails to install. Manual installation, reinstallation, clean installation: nothing makes this work.

IE shows a player interface on the page and will actually play it when the playback button is pressed.

There is, however, an error message saying: Done but with errors on page:

Line: 42

Char: 11

Error: No such interface supported

Code: 0

URL: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=95174

So my conclusion: there might be something in the php code that has changed since version 1.7.4. that does not work with Realplayer interfaces as before.

Any more thoughts?

by Christophe Naud -
I add that the problem might be Real Player latest version (11). Indeed Firefox asks me to download only 10.5 one when the latest is installed on my computer...
xophe
PS: might sound you must use an old and unsecure... version of Real Player to watch or listen to your documents which is potential danger. Always a problem, these proprietary drivers or plugins... And Real is one of the worst close sources. Or maybe reencode into flv /mp3 your files.
I can suggest you (work fine for me and with series... of doc to reencode :
- XviD4PSP
- Riva FLV encoder
- maybe Media Convert too
With FLV and mp3 documents, your moodle thanks to the media filter plugin and its integrated flash player will read everything !

by Norbert Berger -
Hi Christophe,

I have had this Realnetworks media server for 10 years, and it doesn't stream flash. As I said it all used to work until I upgraded Moodle to 1.8. from 1.7. Then the prompts started appearing, and the page code shows an error. I cannot afford a new media server and transcode 300GB of video footage to flash.

Now if everybody confirms the problems lies with Realplayer what has changed in the media filters to suddenly cause this new behaviour? It doesn't quite make sense, does it?

Norbert

by Ger Tielemans -

Christophe, you are wrong: the multimedia filter works independent from the installed players.
It brings it's own: even on a machine without multimedia players the filters run their content. (I tested that.)

Realplayer was also working. Suddenly it stopped working (change in the external server of realplayer where the player was grabbed by the filter?)

In version 1.9 the player is working again, see this example code:

Attachment logo010.png
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Media filter

by Ger Tielemans -

and the .ram example, embedded in the newest book module, where the embedded movie even survives in the IMS/CP export:

Attachment logo011b.gif

by Norbert Berger -

Hi Ger,

Thanks for clarifying this. The server has not changed though, and I still have a moodle 1.7.4 installation running that does the player interface just fine for the same file, just as usual. Even On this Moodle server here, we can observe the same error messages.

by Norbert Berger -
Does this work?
http://www.kinonews.de:8080/ramgen/g2/2007/3-raeuber.rm

This is the same syntax as from my own server. Yet I see the same error messages with Firefox saying it needs to reinstall Realplayer, and IE7 saying there are errors on the page.

Something's wrong, and I don't know what.

by Ger Tielemans -

I see the movie..

just a question: did you add other filters which could interfere?

by Norbert Berger -

There's the multimovie filter for YouTube videos, and Speex filter for audio. But browser behaviour is identical on the Moodle server and mine.

black eye