Teacher Feedback not visible after 1.9 upgrade

Teacher Feedback not visible after 1.9 upgrade

by Jason Stone -
Number of replies: 12
Hello.

A failed harddrive forced me to set up a new Moodle server over the weekend, so I installed version 1.9. We had originally been using version 1.7.

I moved over an English course to the new server by using the 'Restore' feature from a backup. All the users and info seem to be there, but I now notice a problem in one of the course's Assignments.

The Assignment is an 'online text' type with resubmitting allowed and 'comment inline' enabled. Before the upgrade to 1.9, students could see the teacher's most recent comment underneath their own post. However, that 'teacher comment' area is no longer visible to students after the upgrade.

Any thoughts? I've poked through the roles/permissions but see nothing related directly to teacher feedback. If the feedback isn't visible, it makes the module less useful.

Thanks in advance. If I've missed some important piece of information or setup info that you need to help troubleshoot, please post back and I'll try to be more thorough.

-Jason

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Stone

Re: Teacher Feedback not visible after 1.9 upgrade

by Mosa W -
Hey Jason.

I wish I had some advice for you. I am having the same problem with a fresh install of 1.9, trying to migrate from using the journal module as well. It's driving me crazy, I have gone through all settings and role permissions a million times.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or a solution?

Mosa
In reply to Mosa W

by Mosa W -
Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions as to why students can't see teacher's feedback in the assigment module? Would this have something to do with grading permissions? Any ideas would help.

This is the major problem I am running into when I am trying to work around the deprication of the Journal module, and it's huge since most activities we do are based on being able to have one-on-one ungraded feedback from teachers.

I tried just going back to the journal module again, and now facilitator's can't see participant's journal entries or give feedback on them. It seems like we have no options anymore with the new Moodle.

I am really stuck here, I really need some help! Please, if anyone has any ideas, I am getting into my second week of trying to make 1.9 work for us, and it's really critical that I find some way for students and teachers to interact in the way Journals used to work. Thanks so much, in advance, for even giving this a read.

Take care
In reply to Mosa W

by Attila Paksi -
Unfortunately I have the same problem sad
A upgraded from Moodle 1.7 without any error. Everything is working fine, except this error.
A friend of mine told me, maybe there are some extra modules enabled, which are not perfect for version 1.9... I dont know. I have about 10 extra blocks and modules and dont want to try to delete them.

But If your Moodle is a fresh installation, and you dont have any extra modules than the problem is maybe "global" for version 1.9.

Any idea?

In reply to Mosa W

by Attila Paksi -
See this post:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12515
I hope it helps us - I will try it as soon as I can.

In reply to Attila Paksi

by Mosa W -
Attila! Thanks! I will give this a shot too and post back, hope this is the problemo! Let me know how it goes.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mosa W

by Mosa W -
Okay, an update and some good news finally! smile

I tried this patch, and it didn't work at first!

After a little more work at fooling around with lib.php, I decided to enable grades for that assigment, since it looked like the problem was that grades were tied into feedback, as the patch was trying to address. I confirmed that enabling grades for that assigment did make the teacher's comments visible to students.

When I disabled the grades, the comments were unavailable again.

So, I dowloaded the most recent stable version of Moodle again, and reinstalled only the core Assigment module, and then updated the database. Then I applied the patch above to the new lib.php, and now comments appear with grades disabled! Thanks! What a relief!

The step that I didn't think was necessary was to get new files for the assigment module from core, because I had just installed the most recent 1.9 stable a couple of weeks ago. something must've changed, since I made no modifications to the module until I tried this patch the first time. I didn't do a comapare of the files to see the difference, so I am not sure, but this worked for me.

good luck, this saved my life!
In reply to Mosa W

by Attila Paksi -

Hello mosa!

I tried what You did, but nothing sad
I downloaded the latest moodle, and installed the assignment module. Nothing changed.
After that I used the patch to the lib.php, but still "no teachers feedback"...

Any idea?

In reply to Mosa W

by Attila Paksi -
The students see the feedback only when I enable grades sad Any idea?
I tried to figure out how the old version did it, but no solution yet.
Attila
In reply to Mosa W

by Anne Thorp -
What is the patch you used? One of my Moodles is having this same issue but I don't see the patch you used.
Thanks so much,
Anne
In reply to Jason Stone

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Jason & others
I have also had this happen on our 1.9. The temporary fix I found was to provide a grade on the assignment then immediately remove the grade again.
With this done the Assignment activity is registered in the Gradebook and any feedback is displayed in the Grades screen for the students.
It is then a matter of explaining to the students to go to the grades page to view feedback (which, if large, will mean a lot of scrolling but at least they can see it).

Good luck with this until you install the patch smile
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Mosa W -
The patch that is here:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12515
...Still doesn't totally work.

Students can see the teacher's initial feedback, but when the facilitator adds to that feedback at a later time, the new feedback is not available. Also, the date for the initial feedback is "Wednesday, 31 December 1969, 04:00 PM".

I have tried the most recent version of the Assignment module today to see if anyone has fixed this, and it's still broken.

This is the only thing that is keeping us from going live now, and it's been like this for a month and a half. If anyone has any ideas that don't involved the grading workaround mentioned above (to assign a grade and then remove it) please respond! We don't want to go this route because our facilitators are minimally technical and we don't want to use work-arounds that don't make sense to them.

I have another thread that is out there with a bigger decription of the problem: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=96426

Thanks a million, hope there's some ideas.