Bulk Course Upload tool question

Re: Bulk Course Upload and Deletion Summary

by Jeff Church -
Number of replies: 19
Marc thanks for the summary I think you got everything right on. Our programmers created a bulk course creation and a bulk course deletion tool. I will post the zip files for these with this post.

The bulk upload tool has a 1.7 and 1.8 version. To use it you have to create the teacher accounts before creating to courses. The role for the teacher in the csv is the role short name. So for teacher use 'editingteacher' and Non-editing teachers use 'teacher' and so on.

The bulk course delete tool uses a txt file with the course short names. One course per line.

I hope to post 1.9 versions of these soon and I hope they have helped.

On a related note our programmers have produced several add ons for Appalachian State University and we (the Instructional Technology Consultants at ASU that manage the student programers. Greg Simmons, Mary Beth McKee, and me) would like to share them. What is the best place and method to do this? These were posted by me just because someone had a problem that I happen to see.
In reply to Jeff Church

by A. T. Wyatt -
Hi, Jeff!

I think you should start by contacting Anthony Borrow to get these in contrib. And then put links into the modules and plugins database. There is a place in each entry to reference discussion, download location, versioning, etc.

These are tools that many people really need, so it would be great to have them available and easy to find!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
ATW - Thanks for the good suggestion. I would be happy to work with Jeff on getting his code into CONTRIB. Just let me know how I can be of help. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Jeff Church

by Bruce Webster -
I'd like to have the 1.9.x version! Where can I find it?
In reply to Bruce Webster

by Marc Grober -
Bruce,

What you can search the forums on the terms "bulk course upload 1.9" which will return this http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=91850&parent=427786 which has a link to here http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1536 which states: "This has been tested and is working on both 1.8+ and 1.9+." Voila ;=}

As far as the deletion tool, Jeff or Robert, are you ready/willing to put this in the M&P library yet?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Jeff Church -
Here is the delete course that works in 1.7 and 1.8. It takes a txt file with course short name. Be careful I have found with large list > 500 course that it times out the script run time. So if it hangs try upping your script run time or doing the delete in smaller batches.
I have not tested this or the course upload in 1.9 yet. It is on my list to do as we are moving to in in a month.

Good luck
In reply to Jeff Church

by Marc Grober -
Jeff,

Please refresh my recollection; what did you do to get the upload script added to M&P and will you do the same for this or did someone just take care of that for you?

I did a quick test of the upload script on 1.9 and it appeared to work save that one must use editingteacher as the role, but I assumed that someone else did some testing too as the module and plugin page indicates that it works with 1.9. I wonder whether we need a QA process for M&P ;=}

Still have not seen the delete course script mentioned by Robert Russo.

Thanks

Marc
In reply to Marc Grober

by Robert Russo -
Here is our backup and delete application.

It now includes a delete only function that is populated by uploaded files.

We are adding mtrace to delete functionality as well as delete from query functionality as well. Support for mtrace is added to the delete tool, adding to backup and delete now.

Only site admins can use the block. I would love this to get into contrib Anthony.
In reply to Jeff Church

by Michael Street -
Any luck with testing this delete script in 1.9? Mine just shows me a blank page, with my course headers, but no content. No box asking me to upload the text file. sad

The bulk upload worked well though. Very fast. We were able to do 11K courses in short time.
In reply to Michael Street

by noemi flores -

We have not been able to get it to work either. I do have another question on the bulk uploads? We have subsites on our primary site, we have been able to bulk upload successfully on the subsites and the primary site. However, the enroll feature is only working on 1 of the sites. Is there some configuration setting that needs to be set within Moodle. We have not been able to figure it out.

In reply to Jeff Church

by Alan Zaitchik -
Jeff,
Do you have a version of course upload (or course delete) that could work as an independent script, say with the filename passed in? We need to run this in an automated, unattended way, whether from a cron job or through some other way without any UI.
Alan
In reply to Alan Zaitchik

by Jonathan Laurin -

Hi,

Do you have a solution for this?  I need to run the script in an automated way too.

thank you

In reply to Marc Grober

by Bruce Webster -
Thanks for that - I had searched and found. Jeff clearly lists his script as 1.8 only but this appears to be because he hasn't tested it in 1.9 rather than it not working - somebody who had tried it listed it as working. It's still no good for me yet as we use Postgres - maybe when I have some time I'll convert it.
In reply to Jeff Church

by Sean Abachi -

Dear Jeff:

Your code works fine with English characters, but does not work if the names of categories and courses are non-English, such as farsi. Is there a way to make it work with all characters?

Thanks,

Sean 

In reply to Sean Abachi

by Laura Laura -

Hello Sean, I am having the same problem as well. I need to use special characters (á, ó, ñ....)

Have you find out the solution?

Thanks!

Laura

In reply to Laura Laura

by Pedro Lopes -

Hello Laura,

I am having the same problem.

Have you find out the solution?

Thanks!

Pedro

In reply to Jeff Church

by John Jackson -

Is there a version of the upload tools available for version 1.9 plz ?

regards,

John J