General help

Picture of Cory Bueckers
Windows server: Upload issues / errors

We are running into some uploading issues.

Started with this error initially: The uploaded file may exceed max_post_size in php.ini

To resolve this I increase the field names post_max_size to a value of 64Mb and restarted the Moodle services.

Verified we could upload small files no problem but now large files (still under 64Mb) fail with a new error: Invalid JSON string Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\Moodle\server\moodle\repository\repository_ajax.php on line 27

Checked repository_ajax.php = no limits set here that I can tell
I did try increasing the execution time in php.ini: max_execution_time from 30 to 120 with no change.

So often if we just try again later it works but then next time you need to upload you often get the error. This is the same thing we had issue with on the old server and we are on the newest version of the simple windows prebundled Moodle server (2.3.x)

If I move the files over to the server then upload them on it directly it uploads fine every time so it looks to be timing out. We are upload from a remote office (with about 5mb upload bandwidth) to the server at one of our datacenters.

Any thought or ideas would be helpful while I continue to troubleshoot out the issue.

Regards

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jean-Daniel Descoteaux
Re: Windows server: Upload issues / errors

You should check, if you can, the Connection Time-out value in IIS.

Picture of Cory Bueckers

Using "prebundled XAMPP" version which uses Apache not IIS so maybe there is a timeout value in Apache I can check though.

Sketch...
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Increasing the requestLimits setting in IIS 7 helped solve that error on one of my servers (UrlScan [RequestLimits] in IIS 6). I'm not sure if Apache has an equivalent setting.

<rant>XAMPP packages should not be used for Moodle production sites...</rant>

Picture of Scott Karren
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Cory

Can you provide a few more details about your setup, webserver used, database engine used, moodle version, hosting environment?  Giving this information would help community members understand more of what may be happening and they will be better able to help you.

Scott

Picture of Cory Bueckers

Moodle version is in the original post. Also says it is the pre-bundled version so that kinda tells you what version of Apache, PHP and MySQL is used.

Also says enough about how it is access to diagnose problem.

Here is where I obtained http://download.moodle.org/windows

Picture of Tim Geiger

Was there a solution to this error? I am experiencing that same problem.