POP3 Authentication

POP3 Authentication

by Rudy Scott -
Number of replies: 6

I spent some time trying to get POP3 authentication to work with no luck.  Finally I made the following change to the open call in auth/pop3/lib.php:

$connection = imap_open($host, $username, $password, OP_HALFOPEN);

was replaced with:

$connection = imap_open($host, $username, $password);

This change seemed to solve all my problems.  According to the PHP documentation OP_HALFOPEN is for IMAP and NNTP servers.  There is no mention of POP3.  And it appeared on my system at least (and with several different servers) that including the OP_HALFOPEN parameter in this function call caused it to always fail when connecting to POP3 servers.  The purpose of the parameter is to make it connect to a mail account only rather than connecting and opening a mailbox.   Has anyone else had any luck with using POP3 authentication with the existing code?

While I was in there, I added a parameter for configuring the mailbox to connect to (since removing the OP_HALFOPEN makes it require one) rather than hardcoding INBOX.  I also modified a few of the strings that I found confusing.  My modified files are attatched here.  File locations are as follows:

/auth/pop3/lib.php
/auth/pop3/config.html
/lang/en/auth.php

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rudy Scott

Re: POP3 Authentication

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Rudy! Somehow I missed this very helpful post before. I'll check it in right now.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Hi Martin,

Note that in my case, I also needed to add the /username=$username parameter to the $host variable.

Zig

In reply to Rudy Scott

by gem gem -
I meet the same problem to use authentification with a Lotus Notes POP3 server.
It's resolve with this correction.

Phil.

In reply to Rudy Scott

by Luis Botelho -

Hi!

I tried to use your files, but it didn't work again...

I use Exchange 5.5... and when I enter with the username and password, and click in the button to access, my page becomes in blank - nothing happens.

I updated Moodle today, but the problem persist.

Do you know something about it?

Thanks!

In reply to Luis Botelho

by Philip Norton -

This happened to me. Check that your IMAP extensions are enabled in PHP -- look in the php.ini file in the extensions section. Even though you are using POP3, the IMAP library is needed.

Hope this helps!

Philip

In reply to Philip Norton

by Miki Lewinger -
Hey Phillip, your advice was great. Who could guess that Mandrake's standard installation would leave several extensions out of the vanilla php ? After I added the php-imap extension (BLESS URPMI FOR THAT !!!), authentication worked fine.

Miki Lewinger
Ben-Gurion University