New (staff) users log on as existing students!!!!!!

New (staff) users log on as existing students!!!!!!

by Darren Smith -
Number of replies: 6

Authenticating moodle users using LDAP on win 2003 server. This is a strange one and happens frequently! I will provide an example to help me describe what is going on.

Teachers usernames are comprised of first initial, last initial - so I would be ds. If I were a student I would be smithd or smithd04.

I have just tried to get one of our teachers logged on to our moodle install (her username is jr) and when we entered her username and her password we were taken to an exiting students my moodle courses front page. Let's pretend the student is called something like joanne rowling, so the students username would be rowlingj.

This doesn't make sense to me! The only thing I can work out is that whenever this happens it is a member of staff and an existing student with the same initials. When they log onto windows they always pick up their own profiles - no problems.

Thoughts?

Darren

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: New (staff) users log on as existing students!!!!!!

by Petri Asikainen -
It would be usefull to know what moodle version are you using?

In reply to Petri Asikainen

by Darren Smith -

I thought that after I had posted blush

We are using 1.4.2 but were also experiencing the same problems under 1.4.1

Darren

by Darren Smith -

I take it it wasn't useful wink

A solution we have found is to delete the student account on moodle, get the teacher to log in and they pick up their details as expected, then the student can create a new moodle account. Obviously not ideal.

A second solution is to create a second windows account for the teacher but this can be kinda confusing to some of them surprise

My biggest concern is if it happens the other way and a student logs on and our moodle installation thinks they are a teacher with the same initials. This could abviously have very serious consequences.

Has nobody experienced this?  Any thoughts thoughtful ? Please shy

In reply to Darren Smith

by Petri Asikainen -
Usefull, maybe, but I also have life without computers. At least some times.. smile So there could be delays on posting.

Is is happening only on same shared machine or between multiple machines?

by Darren Smith -

Hello - thanks for getting back to me. I do appreciate all the free support available from the experts approve

It happens on any machine on the network - always the same result. I think (although will have to check) it happens over the internet also.

It may be important to note it does not effect every member of staff - but I can't see a pattern.

Darren

In reply to Darren Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There are two possibilities here:

1) It's a bug in the LDAP interaction.  I don't know much about this, Petri does.

2) It's a bug in PHP sessions that we haven't fully identified yet.  There is a workaround for this in Moodle 1.5 ($CFG->tracksessionip) that I was intending to backport to 1.4 but haven't yet.