Print Quiz in PDF or in other format

Print Quiz in PDF or in other format

by Ramon Eixarch -
Number of replies: 32
We would like to generate a PDF file (pr similar) from an existing Quizz.
Is there any Plugin available? Has anyone got experience on that?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ramon Eixarch

Re: Print Quiz in PDF or in other format

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What information do you want in the PDF file?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sir Leo -

Hi!

I need to develop anything to export quiz to PDF.

Using the moodle 2.0  is already possible this functionality?

Does anyone have any solution?

Note: The quiz may have images.

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks

In reply to Sir Leo

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

We do this all the time in a Windows environment. It needs to print pictures and give the correct answer.

After every exam, I click on the exam link, Make an attempt (or review).  Immediately "Finish the Exam" (I do not answer a question), then in the review make sure I show all pages. 

I also dock or minimize all but the quiz navigation block before I print.

Then I use Cutepdf (free) or Adobe Acrobat as my  PDF creator, print it using either of them, it saves it to disk and Martin's your Uncle! 

I am looking for a handy print icon, which will run a script and do most of this for me using the internal Moodle PDF generator.  But then again, I am a dreamer.

Chris

by Lauren Keinath -
Hi Ramon:

Tim's question is a good one; what you want will make a difference as to how you will want to do this, I think.

If you have Adobe Acrobat (the full program, not just the free Reader), this is pretty easy to do.

Simply bring the quiz up, then use your browser's Print . . . command. When the print dialog box comes up, select the "Adobe PDF" printer rather than your normal hard-copy printer. It will 'print' to a file, and you'll be able to specify where you want that file saved -- that's all there is to it.

If you don't have Acrobat, it becomes a bit trickier. There are free pdf-creators out there; I have played around with a couple of them and they seem to do ok -- you might try that. CutePDF is one we reviewed, but there are others -- a quick Google search turns up several. smile
In reply to Lauren Keinath

by Kieran Maher -
Hi Ramon and Lauren,

Another approach is to:
. save the quiz webpage in webarchive format,
. edit the archive using e.g. MS Word,
. print the document or generate a pdf.

Saving in webarchive format is a feature of the Safari browser. I'm not sure if other browsers provide this...

hth,

Kieran
-=-
In reply to Kieran Maher

by Dakota Duff -
If you're saving from Safari I presume you're using a Mac (guess it's possible you're using Safari beta), so why edit using MS Word?!? tongueout

Did anyone ever come up with a good way to do this? I'm thinking I'll need to do the same thing and I might try building a script that converts a GIFT export into a printable HTML page.

by Hans B0s -

Think this feature is part of PHP. I do know that i.e. Joomla has a printbutton to print into a PDF file. But I don't know howmuch effort it takes to make something like this available in Moodle. I'm NOT a programmer. But, perhaps someone else knows if this is possible and how to do this.

Hans.

In reply to Hans B0s

by Matthew Leventi -
Hello,

I looked into this for the WeBWorK question type. I don't think that this is a simple feature. Ideally you want some process which converts the web page html into tex and then uses a server side pdf generator to create the pdf document.

I think the first step would be to create a hook for a button on the quiz start page.

-Matt

In reply to Matthew Leventi

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The way to do this is to use the FPDF library that is in /lib/fpdf. I have no idea how this works though. If I needed to learn, I would start by looking at the Certificate Module from contrib.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ramon Eixarch -
Thank you all for the fast and detailed answer.

We will to try to develop a good solution to be able to generate a printable version of a Quiz. We will come back to you if we succeed.

by Big Faced Boy -
Yes, please! I too would find this a very useful addition.
In reply to Big Faced Boy

by Jestin VanScoyoc -
I have a Mac so making an "ugly PDF" is as easy as using print from browser. I've also been using @media print specific CSS to try and clean up on screen elements. Its still a work in progress but I can share it if you'd like. One thing that'd help is to properly identify quiz elements - even using Firefox extensions this is a hard.

by Farzana Khandia -

I can see this being useful for students who are unable to complete the test online (accessibility reasons or other issues with taking the test online)

Also if the test is requested by an external examiner, this would be the easiest way of supplying it.

by Interactive Learning -

Ramon,

Could you please tell me if you ever found a way to do this in Moodle as I am currently in a similar situation?

Thank you

by Beat Z -
Hello Ramon

any progress in developing a pdf printable version of a Quiz??

by Douglas Machado -
Dear Ramon,

I know this is a very old topic, but I haven't found a solution.
Has this been developed in the latest versions?
I don't need to be a PDF, but it would be nice at least a printable version , without the site layout.

Thanks in advanced.

Kind regards,

Doug

by Kari Kelly -

I've been looking and looking for hours and hours for an answer to this question on this forum without success.  I've tried multiple ways to print a quiz onto paper without finding a satisfactory answer yet.  I apologize if this question has a solution somewhere that I cannot find.  Please direct me to the solution if one has been found. : [)

I would like to be able to print a Moodle quiz without all the unnecessary webpage formatting.  In other words, I would just like to see the question number, the question wording and the possible response choices. Something like examview allows instructors to do.  You know, a printer friendly version that doesn't have the admin side menus, "flag", next and submit web page options. 

I've seen multiple versions of this question on this forum going back many years with no discoverable satisfactory resolution. I've even downloaded two plugins tonight (worktable and offline quiz) that don't do what I and other instructors are asking for and I just can't believe this isn't possible. 

Exporting to xHTML would work, but I can only export from a question bank, not from a specific quiz that I've already created and the questions are out of numerical order and I can't edit the file to delete unwanted questions.  Exporting to PDF includes all the unnecessary web formatting  and takes up MOST of the printed page, so that a simple 10 question quiz ends up using 7 pieces of paper.  I've attached a partial screenshot of what I don't need below. Exporting to Word includes all the answers and is in a weird user unfriendly format. The offline quiz might be ok, except that  I have to recreate all my quizzes in that activity, and that is a big pain sad

Why do I need to do this?  Because my principal is asking that all teachers of the same subject at my school site give the same exact unit exams.  I use Moodle, the other teachers do not.  My tests are better than theirs. I want to print my test so that the other teachers can xerox it and give it to their students.  Period. No muss, no fuss.  Just a printer friendly export of the questions in my Moodle quizzes. Otherwise, I'll have to go back to using paper and pencil scantron tests and I just don't want to! mixed

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 1.48.22 AM.png
In reply to Kari Kelly

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I wonder what version of Moodle you are using in your organisation? The latest version, 2.9, allows you to print a quiz using your browser's print option. Here is a direct link to the Quiz FAQ : Is there a nice way to print a quiz?

(Suggestion - if your Moodle version is older and doesn't have this function, then you could get yourself a free Moodle site on Moodlecloud, upload your quizzes to there and print them off there, as MoodleCloud always uses the latest version.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kari Kelly -

My organization uses 1.9, so I use 2.6 on my own server as a direct result. I can upgrade to 2.9, but I'm nervous about big changes so close to the first day of school (the day after tomorrow).

It looks like that method only works with short word answers and multiple choice, which is fine, I guess. Just think it aught to be easier to make a Moodle quiz printable by automatically showing drop down menus and multiple calculated question varieties like just about every other test bank program does. This would give instructors on offline option, multiple versions for security, and save us a bunch of time reformatiing questions to make them printer friendly. Lots of people have asked for this with no success. Fingers crossed someone with the abilities will take the task upon themselves. smile

Thanks. 

In reply to Kari Kelly

by Tim Hunt -

Definitely do not upgrade just before the last day of this school year! Upgrade before the start of the next one.

So, you need to find some work-around for this year, but I am afraid I don't have any very good suggestions.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by William Peterson -

looks adobe has a service for creating pdf files, maybe you can have a try: http://createpdf.adobe.com/

the point is, "convert a url to pdf", which seems to be the best approach, i think.

william peterson
http://www.sameshow.com/blog/

In reply to William Peterson

by M J -

I am having the same situation. We decided to make some of our exams online on moodle but still there is a need for the print version.

I need a way to convert the quiz in printer friendly version..

Mazen

In reply to M J

CSS print style sheet

by Frank Ralf -
The most straightforward way would be to provide a special print CSS style sheet:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_ref_print.asp

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: CSS print style sheet

by William Richardson -

No... not so much.  Print CSS does NOT create a PDF; it simply specifies specific styling for the page when you print.

To print to PDF, you'll need to do some coding.  The MPDF lib may actually help...

In reply to M J

by Michael Tanczos -
I had a teacher ask for the very same thing. I was thinking of perhaps writing an export plugin to export PDF (or RTF or some such thing) versions of the test for written hardcopy tests.

- Michael Tanczos

by Beatriz Rojo -

Hi everyone,

I would like to explain here my solution to the issue of printing a quizz. I know this is not the best solution and it only works in my case, with placement tests consisting of short texts. The tests are also short.

I use Moodle 2.7 and I use the book module for this. First I click on each question on the icon "magnifying glass". You can see the appeareance of the questions but also the "pure text" of the question as well as the solution. I copy&paste this text in to the book module and make some layout modifications. With Atto editor you cannot do a lot so it makes it easier smile.  Then I export the book as pdf. The result is OK if you do not need an specific layout or heading of your institution.

For short tests and the type cloze and multiple choice it does not take a lot of time to do that. 

Regards,

Beatriz.

In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Ray Morris -

Binghampton has a module for rendering quizzes to PDF and also importing attempts from Scantron forms or similar.

https://github.com/bumoodle/moodle-quiz_papercopy/tree/WIP_BU_78_WEBKIT

I'm working on adjustments needed for compatibility with Moodle 2.7:

https://github.com/MorrisR2/moodle-quiz_papercopy/tree/update_for_moodle_27

BU has indicated they plan to do some further work on it this summer.

In reply to Ray Morris

by Nuwan Fernando -

Hi Morris,

First of all thank you for the module. My requirement is to download quiz as a question paper in pdf format by the student.

I tried to install your plugin in Moodle 2.7.3. But I was unable to do so.

So It would be very kind of you if you could give some little steps to install this module.