Cannot edit or delete a label in the topic section of a frontpage.

Cannot edit or delete a label in the topic section of a frontpage.

by Colin Wheelhouse -
Number of replies: 9
Please help! I had a very nice label on my frontpage with 3 buttons hyperlinked to other sites. Upon trying to edit the html for the butons to add a mouseover effect, I have lost the ability to edit the label. In fact only the edit button for the label is now visible and has somehow become part of one of the images so when I try and select it it opens the link to the webpage not the edit function.

Is there anywhere I can find the hardcode html I wrote and delete it? I can add new labels underneath and delete them, or even not show the topic on the frontpage but this is not really what I want to do.

Cheers
Colin.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Wheelhouse

Re: Cannot edit or delete a label in the topic section of a frontpage.

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Colin!

I am thinking that you might have to actually remove the offending text in the database table.

Take a look at this discussion and see if it helps you at all:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=89083

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Thanks, went to modules-activities and deletd the label activity, howver it only deleted my second label that I had added under the corrupt one. I still have the same problem and have no idea where to find the info in a database to delete it. Still stuck! Any more ideas anyone?

Colin

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Colin,

if you have not deleted files from folder mod/label click link Notifications from administration menu to install that module back. There is no reason to delete the activity itself - you just need to edit the corrupt field.

If the reason is some javascript like in http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9963

you should be able to edit topic section either by different browser (press <> in editor and clean code & save) or just select your Name (link) - edit your profile and from row "When editing text" select "Use standard web forms". Then no editor is used and you can usually edit textarea with no problems.

If it does not work you might use some tool like phpMyadmin to find and edit the correct field in database (table mdl_course_sections)

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Armando Duran -
Hi All,

I am in a similar situation as Colin, what I tried to do was emulate the link for web page resource that opens up on a pop up, what I want is to have a link right on my text and not on a separate line as it would normally be with the resource.

So in order to do my work around, I opened firebug, copied the code from the link to that web page resource and pasted on my label html.

Since that link includes a javascript (for the pop up functionality) I got into the same situation.

Does anybody know how I can link to a resource without having the actual resource in a separate line?

At least is good to know about http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9963 in regard of javascript in the html.

Thanks!

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Ok problem solved after much headbanging and generally feeling foolish with myself.

The solution.

• In IE7 I viewed and then copied the source html into MS frontpage.
  • Then using the code view in MS frontpage I located the html which pertained to the labels (icons) that I could not edit/delete in Moodle.
  • I deleted the rogue code (I say rogue as I'm sure the text was wrong which caused the lack of edit function)
  • I was then able to view the edit label in the design view without it acting as a hyperlink. When I held my mouse over the edit icon the following link was displayed....
  • http://www.mysitename.com/course/editsection.php?id=24
  • I then copied and paste the link into a new browser window and hey presto, I could edit the label.

I hope this helps anybody else who experiences a similar problem.

Colin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thanks for posting back with your solution! I am sure it *will* help someone else one day! I especially like the fact that you did not seem to need to edit the tables to solve the problem.

atw

by Jaron Flickinger -
This was great. We have one course where several of the edit icons were not working. I did as you suggested and I got them to work again. The only thing I would mention was if you move the sections around, the ids won't be in numeric order. Obvious I guess, but I didn't think of it right away!

Thank you! Thank you!

by Mohammad Makki -
your solution was great thanks very much

by Paloma Inés -

Thank you very much, I had a similar problem which prevented me to erase or edit a label with a corrupted iframe, and it did not even let me see the Configuration panel, so you saved my life.

In case it helps, my URL was slightly different:

http://www.YOUR_SITE_NAME/course/modedit.php?update=ID_NUMBER&return=0

Cheers, 

Paloma