Topic Section Corrupted??

Topic Section Corrupted??

by Gavin Mckay -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, I've lost my topic section on the front page!!

Basically, I was editing some HTML in the front page topic section which sits above my Course Catagories etc only I wasn't happy with it. I ran out of time, deleted everything in the editor and saved changes.
When I came back the topic section had disappeared and all my course catagories had pushed up to the top of the middle column. So I went into the Site Administration > Front Page Settings and enabled Include a topic section. When I do this a single line topic section appears but all my catagories / courses disappear. Also there is no way of configuring the topic line as the Turn Editing On button does not appear. Has anyone seen this before / know a solution? See images attached

Thanks
Gavin

Attachment topic.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gavin Mckay

Re: Topic Section Corrupted??

by Mauno Korpelainen -

1. Try another browser to edit the corrupted field...
2. If you have phpmyadmin look at table

mdl_course_sections

and edit that field with phpmyadmin.

3. Turn editor off (choose web forms instead of html editor from your profile) and go to

http://yourserveraddress/course/editsection.php?id=2 (or sometimes 1)

4. If 1-3 do not help check if you have some custom javascripts (you may turn javascript off from your browser) and check if you have some non-standard activities installed

5. Turn debugging to ALL from administration menu to get some more info.

6. Repair tables of database with phpmyadmin...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Gavin Mckay -

Thanks Mauno, edited mdl_course_sections and this solved everything

Thanks

In reply to Gavin Mckay

by Arek Jaskolski -
Hello
I would like to know, what did you edit at mdl_course_sections ?

Regards, Arek
www.letslearnenglish.info
In reply to Arek Jaskolski

by Mauno Korpelainen -
That topic section of front page is usually the second or the first row in table md_course_sections - try first to edit topic section from front page with or without editor (with Firefox or IE or Safari or Opera...) and to clean the section. If you have tried to add for example some javascript to topic section ("top middle box") it may have broken the html of your page...
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Robert Klein -
I am having the same problem, however it is within one courses of the site only. the main section at the top is blank except for an image and all the other sections have disappeared. There is no longer an icon for "edit summary". I too had tried to edit the html from a browser but deleted the html. Then it all went. I have since tried in firefox, safari, and netscape. After looking at the source it is all there but somehow invisible. I do not really know code at all.
I do not seem to be getting anywhere with the instructions above, although I did not try step three because a different page comes up to edit Test 1 or 2....Please help.
In reply to Robert Klein

by Robert Klein -
I fixed my own problem, so I am writing for those who may encounter the same situation. Each section of each course has an ID number, so it would be good to know those numbers ahead of time. Through a lot of trial and error, (and admin access) I found out the number of the section I was unable to edit.
In your browser address bar make sure the following is written.

http://yourwebsite/moodle/course/editsection.php?id=46

I had to keep changing the number in blue to find the correct section that I had originally messed up by fiddling with the html (numbers can go into the thousands). I then toggled the html and deleted the section in question. Lesson learned: if you really don't know html (that is me. I have almost no clue) don't fool around on your main class site. Try a hidden course and make your mistakes there where it doesn't count.