Separating front page

Separating front page

by Mark Cornwell -
Number of replies: 2

I have just posted a query about legacy roles. I don't know if this question is related to it or not.

My original plan for the site that I am creating is to lock down all permissions on GUEST to "prohibit". I didn't want them in the site at all. I wanted to set manual authentication,  set forcelogin on, hide the guest login button.

The more I read the more I wondered if guest was just a "legacy role" that I shouldn't be using anyway. Then, reading through the permissions and roles documentation I wondered if the "demo teacher" type role might be more appropriate.

Rather than blocking everything to guests I wondered if I could show them, not so much a "subset" of the site but a different version.

What I mean by this is that I might have a front page that shows one forum (a 'demo' one) for one type of user (un-authenticated guests) but would show the 'real' site forum for authenticated guests.

I am sure that I can allow them to see a "subset" of courses. I don't know if I can show them "just what they can access" or if they see all the titles and only access what they have permission for. But if I can show them "just what they have permission for" then I rationalise that I could create a separate front page forum, separate front page block, and allow guests to see these extra ones... and not let anyone else see them... and vice-versa.

Is that at all possible? Is it something done via roles/permissions or can it be done another way?

(if it looks complicated I shall stay with plan A and keep guests outside the gates rather than let them in and keep them on a short lead).

Thanks.

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Cornwell

Re: Separating front page

by John Isner -
Keep the guests out. Once you allow them in, they see the same things everybody else sees.
In reply to John Isner

Re: Separating front page

by Mark Cornwell -

John, we think the same. My description for guests was changed back in 1.7 to "keep 'em out".

Unless I can put a firewall between them and my real users I'd rather have a separate demo site which has a button saying "if you like this... please click here to sign up for the real one".