1and1 Moodle Installation Instructions

by Billy Ristuccia -
Number of replies: 21

1. Upload moodle 1.8 zip file to your website via ftp.
  2. Use Putty to unzip the file. This will make a moodle folder. Move that folder to where you want your url to point to. Change the name of the moodle folder to what ever you want.
  3. You MUST make a .htaccess file with this as its contents inside your moodle folder: AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
  4. You MUST make a php.ini with the following contents inside your moodle folder:
magic_quotes_gpc = 1
magic_quotes_runtime = 0
file_uploads = 1
session.auto_start = 0
session.bug_compat_warn = 0
upload_max_filesize = 128M
max_execution_time = 2400
memory_limit = 128M
post_max_size = 128M
SMTP = localhost

5. Your config.php file must have this layout. There is one extra line moodle makes which can be deleted from the config.php file.
$CFG->dbtype = 'mysql'; // mysql or postgres7 (for now)
$CFG->dbhost = 'db123.yourdomain.net'; // eg localhost or db.isp.com
$CFG->dbname = 'db123456789'; // database name, eg moodle
$CFG->dbuser = 'dbo123456789'; // your database username
$CFG->dbpass = 'yourpassword'; // your database password
$CFG->prefix = 'mdl_'; // Prefix to use for all table names

Other variables must be defined as follows:

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://www.yourdomain.com';
$CFG->dirroot = '/homepages/12/d123456789/htdocs/yourdirectory';
$CFG->dataroot = '/homepages/12/d123456789/htdocs/moodledata';

MY MOODLE IS NOW INSTALLED PERFECT!!!

ENJOY!
Yotsume

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Billy Ristuccia

Re: 1and1 Moodle Installation Instructions

by Richard Enison -

BR,

I have only one major problem with your instructions (there are a couple of minor ones): putting the Moodle data folder under htdocs makes it look like it is web accessible. This is not recommended, as it is a security problem. If you must put it there, you should put an .htaccess file in the data folder containing the directive

deny from all

(See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle#Creating_the_data_directory_.28moodledata.29, second paragraph.)

RLE

by gerardo castro -
HI, i have some problems with moodle and 1&1 linux server, the thing here is that  i all ready config the Db and the system ( moodle), make the config.php then i acept the agreement, and procede to the install of tables, it goes fine trough the first one and a continue button apears, then it moves to the next page and it stops at lesson tables, i dont know if it is the last one but the thing is that no continue button apears then, and it get stuck at that page can some one help me?. my e-mail is: gerardo@datumtechno.com hope can help me
In reply to gerardo castro

by Andy Hoang -
I got this far and it hung after the lesson tables too. Then I changed the config and added php.ini and .htaccess as instructed and now I can't get that far any more, it now searches for admin/index.php and can't find it. What am I doing!?

by Andy Hoang -
BR

Thanks for this info - I'm still very stuck. When the config.php file is created I press next and the whole thing goes through to admin/index.php and this file is not found.

Before this the install was hanging after installing some tables.

AAAARGH!

Andy

by Scott van Niekerk -

I am a novice at this sorry!

You write that I hould modify config file to have:

'mysql'; // mysql or postgres7 (for now)
$CFG->dbhost = 'db123.yourdomain.net'; // eg localhost or db.isp.com
$CFG->dbname = 'db123456789'; // database name, eg moodle
$CFG->dbuser = 'dbo123456789'; // your database username
$CFG->dbpass = 'yourpassword'; // your database password

So I assume yoru typing to the right of // is not included in the text of the config file?!

the db123 do I replace that with the database hostname, as provided by 1and1?

db123456789 do I replace with my database name?

etc?

In reply to Scott van Niekerk

by Richard Enison -
SvN,
  1. I don't think BR heard you; he is no longer enrolled.
  2. "//" is the code for comments in PHP (actually, one of three such codes). So whatever you type after // on a line is ignored by PHP.
  3. As to your other questions, I believe the answers are yes to both. But you might want to check with 1and1's tech support, especially about the database hostname.
  4. Essentially the same instructions, and a little bit more, are in the Moodle docs at 1and1 MySQL installation.
See also:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46400#p218563
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=102178#p451307

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Scott van Niekerk -

RLE,

I have received a lot of help and value thusfar, but am still unable to get through a 403 permissions error, depsite setting each folder to 777

I have uploaded the moodle folder to my server. I have added the .htaccess and php.ini files.

I have configured config.php with my correct database info.

Anything come to mind that I may have missed?

I get:

The document name you requested (/Moodle/install.php) could not be found on this server. However, we found documents with names similar to the one you requested. Available documents: /Moodle/install (common basename)

But then the 403 error when I click on this install file

by Scott van Niekerk -

I wonder, is there any chance the problem could be that I installed the version for windows to test on my laptop, and tried to upload that to server via FTP. Server is a lunix hosting, maybe I should have used a different version to install?!

Any feedback from anyone?

by Richard Enison -
SvN,

I don't think it's a Windows vs. Linux thing. But if you have the Windows Complete Moodle Package installed on your laptop and uploaded that, that's not a good thing for security reasons. In particular, some of the options that the install script (install.php) normally gives, such as database type and database user, are hard-coded and grayed-out on the screen so you can't make a choice. However, you could override them by editing config.php later.

I'm somewhat concerned that it couldn't find install.php. I'm sure you have that file on your laptop, so apparently it didn't make it when you uploaded. Also, do I understand you correctly: it said there was a file in the Moodle directory called install with no extension? And when you tried to select it in your browser you got a 403. Well that's strange. There shouldn't be a file by that name. Can you get into File Manager or Shell Mode or whatever facility 1and1 has to look at your files and see if the size of that file in bytes is the same as install.php on your laptop? Can you look at it in a text editor and see if its content is the same as install.php? If it is, try renaming it install.php. But more to the point, what is the permission for that file? The folder may be 777, but what about the file?

Finally, there are two reasons a 403 can happen. One is because of the file and folder permissions in the OS (Linux) file system. That's the tree you've been barking up. The other is the browsing permissions set in the web server configuration (Apache). Now the main Apache configuration file, usually called httpd.conf, is totally in 1and1's control, and I'm sure they wouldn't put anything in there that would prevent their clients' PHP scripts from running. But you can, to some extent, override Apache settings for your site with .htaccess files. The one in your data directory has the "deny from all" line in it to prevent people from browsing that directory, and that's good. Now you don't have a line like that in the .htaccess file in your Moodle directory, do you? That would explain the 403. Take it out! The same applies to the "AllowOverride none" line, and "order deny,allow".

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Scott van Niekerk -

RLE, I have gone back to square one. Installed a generic package and uploaded that onto 1and1 server which runs Linux and MySQL 5.0

When it runs server checks during early installation it gives me an alert about a php.extension problem with xmlrpc.

I looked at http://docs.moodle.org/en/admin/environment/php_extension/xmlrpc

and it says to restart apache. This instruction is unclear to me. What exactly do I need to do, somebody, please?! smile

Thanks,

Scott

by Richard Enison -
SvN,

Whenever one makes changes to PHP and/or web server (Apache) settings, they don't take effect until the web server is restarted. In your case, since you are on a commercial web host (1and1), Apache is in their control, not yours. I would suggest asking tech. support what you need to do to make your settings changes effective since you can't restart Apache. They will probably say there's nothing you can do, they will have to do it (whatever it is). Hopefully they will notify when it is done.

Again, since you are on a shared host, it is up to 1and1 to determine what PHP extensions are available. Ask them about xmlrpc. I'm sure they have it. Otherwise, Moodle would not work on their host at all (I believe); and we know it does. Show them the alert. They should be able to take care of it.

RLE

by Lindley Bailey -

I have used this on my local Ubuntu machine to restart apache:

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

I don't believe you need the sudo command for a 1and1 server. (I got this command from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP Which I also used to help me understand the administration of apache better.

What really comes to my mind is what type of server did you get from 1and1, a shared virtual host, or a dedicated server.

If you have a dedicatied server, then (if I read their support docs right) anything you install after the OS is up to you to support. But it also gives you the permissions to do restarts of Apache.

If you have the virtual server package, their tech support says that Moodle requires their Linux server, that it won't run on their Windows VM. So my company had to switch to their Linux variant. Then another complication, because php, apache, and mysql are all administered by them in the background, installing moodle via uploading the zipped/tar file, or simply copying and pasting, does not put the proper hooks/references into php/apache/mysql.

SO.. 1and1 solved this by putting an installation wizard in their Click-n-build section of CPanel. Using this install method automatically puts in all the correct links between all the various software.

We did the complete install in less than 30 minutes, with no custimization needed. All we did was made selections via the menus as the install screens came up.

The down sides of their VM: They control what versions of Moodle/php/apache/mysql are used. (Currently moodle 1.9.5) But the upside is that they support it end to end.

Sincerely,

Lin Bailey

In reply to Lindley Bailey

by James Shuker -

Hi, You mention an installation wizard that 1and1 have put in their control panel, can't find it anywhere any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Jim 

In reply to James Shuker

by Peter Loesche -

Hi,
they call it 1&1 Click & Build-Applications. You find some more information here http://faq.1and1.com/applications/click_n_build_applications/index.html and a list (in german language) here : http://www.1und1.info/xml/order/FeatureClickNBuild;jsessionid=0BEB2C33DB65CA99B2B1ADB07CF15ACC.TCpfix155a .
But there are some limitations with most of this preconfigured installs by any provider: it's normally not the newest version, you can't upgrade by yourself , you can't even install a modified theme (or plugins), you can't backup the database, and no, I never received any information to update the installed version. So better install Moodle by yourself following the instructions in Moodle docs. But ask if your server supports the PHP-Version needed for Moodle 2.1.x.. If not you are limited to Moodle 2.0.x, and this version lacks some new interesting features. It could be a long waiting time till the newest PHP version is available (as it was with MySQL 5). 

by Brent Forbes -

Hello,
I have the same issues with trying to install Moodle on a 1and1 Linux Server.

PHP 5
Moodle version 1.9.3+ (Build: 20081210)    

I followed all the instructions. I was having issues with the installation hanging until I placed a htaccess file in the Moodle folder with AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

That seemed to work as it went through several pages of creating the database tables (unattended). It was very fast but it said successful as it went through the pages.

It finally stopped at a blank page: http://www.mysite.com/moodle/admin/index.php

It goes to this blank page anytime I try to go to http://www.mysite.com/moodle or http://www.mysite.com/moodle/admin/index.php

What's next?

by Herli Joaquim de Menezes -
Hi,
I got a basic related problem. Im running Linux, distro Fedora 9, and I have installed mysql, php and apache (httpd, in the last version). When I upgraded my Fedora, i choose install Moodle. It was done automatically, in order to install a Moodle version at my pc.
  1. I went to documents page, and have read that moodle is to be installed at root/usr/moodle, but mine is at root/var/www/moodle folder, in the parent directory (root/var/www) is httpd (apache 2.0).
  2. I got another problem too: how can I make my web browser (Mozilla) recognize php files? I always got 404 error. I have made changes at httpd.config!!! sad

Well, I dont know how to begin installation, im completelly lost.

by analyn ulzame -
hi,!!!
with regards to ur instruction in installing moodle i cant really understamd...will you please expail further..
thank'z
hoping for a fast reply

In reply to analyn ulzame

by Carlos Silva -
analyn there doesn't appear to be anything like quick reply here.
I too an trying to get moodle going on 1an1 web hosting so I am not sure I can be of alot of help but I have got to the xmlrpc problem. Emailed 1and1 tech support to see what they can do since there are no click and build buttons that I can find.
If you still need some help I'll try with what little help I can provide.

by Eric Boehm -

i have changed the config-dist.php to the config.php as per the instructions above. I get an error were it shows the php file itself. This is at the end of the page: Error detected in configuration file

I have double checked the spacing at the end of the page. I have called 1and1 tech support and they were no help. "I can not run moodle on the server" When I had it running til tuesday night.

Can anyone help????

In reply to Eric Boehm

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Eric,

I think you would have been better starting a new thread for this installation problem as this thread is years old really, and has very little going for it. 1 and 1 can be problematic, however, I have read on these forums that Moodlers in general have been quite successful when installing Moodle on a 1 and 1 web site. There are a few issues with cPanel, in that I don't think people understand how they work.

If you could give me some background information:

Which Moodle version are you trying to install?
How did you upload the Moodle folder to your website? FTP or cPanel?
If cPanel did you upload the ZIP file to the server then EXTRACT it to the ROOT directory of your website or a subdirectory?
What Server type have you got on your web site with your 1 and 1 hosting package?
Does 1 and 1 hosting allow you to set up a database in MySQL using phpMyAdmin?

These are only a few things which will help towards diagnosing your problem.

Cheers

Mary