GradebookplusV2 (GBPv2) for Moodle 18STABLE

GradebookplusV2 (GBPv2) for Moodle 18STABLE

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 118
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is a new discussion topic about maintaining GBPv2 for Moodle 1.8. It appears that I will be maintaining the GBPv2 code for use with Moodle 1.8 until it becomes obsolete. My goal is to keep the code patched with changes made to the 18STABLE branch in CVS for all related files. While I am open to suggestions and improvements, the idea is to keep GBPv2 as functional as possible until the greatly anticipated gradebook improvements in Moodle 1.9.

The beta version I put out earlier had a couple of flaws. The major flaw was the lack of ability to properly export data to ODS. I have fixed this as well as come to understand why my Excel downloads were being corrupted (related to MDL-5722). I now feel much more comfortable with the data being exported. The only flaw I see now is that groups are not properly enforced. Currently, the names, email, etc. is exported for all participants regardless of the group selected. I want this enforced so that separate text files/spreadsheets can be created for each group. The grades are exported only for the students in the group and when I get a chance to go back in and look at the foreach loops I will figure out what is happening and get it fixed. Then I will go ahead and update things in CVS for the 18STABLE branch.

Thanks to Wen for agreeing to help test the code. If others would like to test the updated GBPv2 for 1.8 code just let me know. Please report any bugs, questions, etc. about GBPv2 for Moodle 1.8 in this discussion thread as the other one for GBPv2 has become rather lengthy.

Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: GradebookplusV2 (GBPv2) for Moodle 18STABLE

by Anthony Borrow -
OK - I am now reasonably pleased with how the exports are working. They are now respecting the group settings. I think this should include all CVS bug fixes; however, I ask for a little more testing before I commit these changes to the 18STABLE branch of GBPv2. In particular, it would be helpful if Wen could confirm that all of the fixes he has provided are working. Thanks again for all your help with testing. Peace - Anthony

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Anthony!
I am working on testing this. So far I find a formatting problem with respect to the first column generated by the "view" grades tab.

In previous versions, the first column and the last column were formatted the same way--regular text, left aligned. As you see in screen capture below, now the first column is bold (takes up too much room) and centered (makes it harder to read). Can we get both columns formatted as the last column shows here?

Thanks,
atw
Attachment formatting_problem.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
ATW - It appears that this was a change in CVS since GBPv2 was first released. From what I can tell it has to do with the change from being a <td> tag to a <th> tag. Feel free to check out the details of the fix in Moodle core at:

http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/moodle/grade/lib.php?r1=1.52&r2=1.53&pathrev=MOODLE_18_STABLE

My initial inclination is to leave it as it is since that is what is currently in Moodle core (see attached screenshot). I am not sure how changing it would effect XHTML compatibility or accessibility. You may want to search around and see if you can find where in the theme's css file it sets a table header to be bold and center since it sounds like you would prefer that they be left justified and not bold. To be honest, I agree that it is somewhat cleaner and easier to read.

If there are strong opinions that GBPv2 should be different in this respect to Moodle core then let me know; however, my goal is to keep them as closely compatible as possible as it will make it easier to maintain.

Peace - Anthony

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thank you for this response, but you are way over my head with this link to sourceforge. I will be happy to change the tag back to TD, because I think it odd that the first column does not match the last column. But I haven't a clue which line I am supposed to work on!

Could you give me a little hint?thoughtful

I agree that you should keep it close to what is developing for 1.9, but to me the important part is data structure and functionality. Formatting will likely continue to change, and I would like our production instance to be the best for our users. So if 1.9 hasn't gotten around to fixing those kinds of little details, I would like to go ahead and tweak my own code.

Thanks for your help. If this is hard, then I will just subside. It displays properly in edit grades view, just not in the initial "view grades" tab. So I tend to think this is a bug!

atw

by A. T. Wyatt -
Now I looked at a course with forced groups on. I find that the excel export works very well! Only that group is exported.

Do you think the "download in X format" should really say "export in X format"? Just wondering.

I will report if I find anything else, but so far it looks like it is working very well.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
Thanks for the testing. I agree with you that export in X format is probably more accurate; however, as much as possible I am trying to keep the customizations or derivations from Moodle core as minimal as possible and Download in X format is what is currently in core. Of course anyone can change their language file easily enough. Peace - Anthony

by James Rudd -
Found some small bugs:
Line 2771 in lib.php
$header1 .= '<th> scope="col"'.get_string('percent','grades').'</th>';
should be
$header1 .= '<th scope="col">'.get_string('percent','grades').'</th>';

In View Grades
Also following warnings:
Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 1264

Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 1278

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 314

In Edit Grades
Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 2384

Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 2265
In reply to James Rudd

by A. T. Wyatt -
I second this bug in line 2771! I have already corrected mine. Thanks for the heads up!

I did not get the other error messages when I viewed or editing grades.

atw
In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
James - Good catch on the header - it is fixed in CVS. I will look into the cause of the other errors. Thanks for your help. Peace - Anthony

by James Rudd -
Hi Anthony,
Where can I find the most recent version of the GBPv2 that you are working on?
I have looked in Moodle CVS and could only find the original version.
Thanks,
James
In reply to James Rudd

by Julian Ridden -
In reply to Julian Ridden

by James Rudd -
Thanks Julian. I'd checked CVS before but only saw the old files. When I changed the tag all was revealed.

Hi Anthony,
I have downloaded the latest CVS to my test site, which has Debug set to ALL.
I am getting the following Notice error messages. In most cases the code still works if references to group in URL are removed, but I'm not sure about all of them:

Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 1264

Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 1278

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 314

Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 2384

Notice: Undefined variable: group in /srv/www/sites/studentmoodle/htdocs/moodtest/grade/lib.php on line 2265

In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
Ray - I've removed in CVS the $group variables in lines 1264, 1278, 2384 and 2265. From what I can tell it does not change or impact any of the group functionality. I will have to look more into what is happening with line 314. Thanks for bringing these to my attention. Peace - Anthony

by David Fountain -

I think taking out the $group variables has broken the edit grades by group/category. I cannot now choose a group and a category to edit as changing one reverts the other.

I think the undefined group variable may be one that I suggested a fix for, James could you try the change I suggested higher in this forum and see if it addresses the issue for you?

In reply to David Fountain

by Anthony Borrow -
David - Could you let me know how I can reproduce the broken edit grades by group/category or send me a screenshot. A step by step of what to click on would be helpful as that will help me to track it down and see what is happening. I just want to make sure we are looking and talking about the same thing before I go code diving. Thanks - Anthony

by David Fountain -

Group category

When I select either red circled category or group I don't get the combination of both.

For example, this has group 'a' showing. If I now choose to change the category to 'P2' I will get all of the students not just those in group 'a'.

Additionally if I change this group to group 'b' I get results only from the 'top-most' category...so there is no way to view category 'P2' results for group 'b'...I'll message you my test site details so you can have a go.

by Anthony Borrow -
OK - now that I am somewhat settled in Berkeley, California I can start looking at the code again and get this fixed up to work. Then I will be moving on to look at what we need to do to migrate things to 1.9. Thanks for your patience. I have not ruled out the possibility of leaving the group variables in or simply defining them; however, I wanted to give a crack at making the code a little cleaner. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
David - Just to get us on the same page for testing and resolving this issue, I'm using visible rather than separate groups but I think the behavior should be the same. If I select a group and then select the category I can see what all of the grades for that category for that group of students (see attached screenshot). I do notice a second group dropdown box that I think should be gotten rid of. The behavior I would like to see is that if while editing the grades, the user selects a different group that it remembers the current category and gets the new group. Similarly, if the user selects a different category I would want the current category to be remembered. Is this the desired behavior that folks are expecting?
Attachment gbpv2.jpg

by David Fountain -
Anthony - Thanks for this.

Yes I think visible and separate use the same code and I absolutely expect the category and group to persist through changes to the other.

I have just got a copy from contrib and I don't see the extra group dropdown box on my system.

Do you have a patch you want me to test?

by Anthony Borrow -
Hmmm... that is what I am trying to figure out. I'm using /grade/lib.php,v 1.3.2.4 and /grade/index.php, v 1.1.8.2. Are you sure you used the 18STABLE branch and not head? I downloaded Moodle18STABLE and then copied GBPv2 18STABLE over the grade files. I believe that HEAD is still the old code as I wanted to leave a place for folks to get the older code in case I mungled things up. Peace - Anthony

by David Fountain -
lib.php,v 1.3.2.5 and index.php, v 1.10.2.2

I have now put this version on and had a look. Functionality is working with respect to groups and categories, I also see that you have removed one of the group drop-down boxes. The group now persists throughout every tab, I am not sure that we need to *see* the group chosen for anything other than the view and edit tabs. My personal preference would be to have the group and category drop down boxes next to each other across the page (as in your screenshot previously) as it takes up less screen space and I find it more usable as I often flick between groups and categories and this reduces the mouse travel.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Dave

by Anthony Borrow -
David - I agree that the selection boxes should be together. My intention was to keep the behavior as close to what one would expect from a 18STABLE vanilla install which has the groups up top. We could move the category selection up so that it would be next to the group select but I think it would be best to keep the group select box up top where it is. Does that sound OK? Peace - Anthony
Attachment 18gb_vanilla.jpg

by David Fountain -
Anthony,
I think that sounds good. I do think, however, that they should be hidden on the tabs where they have no relevance.
Dave

by Anthony Borrow -
David - Thanks for your continued feedback on GBPv2. The only place I think being able to switch between categories is relevant would be on the edit grades page when categories exist. I think if we simply check for the use of advanced mode that would cover it. I think technically I would like it more if it displayed even if there were no other categories (other than Uncategorised) to indicate that there could be a drop down box but that it only displays in advanced mode. This may be an opportunity too to look at how to handle going when a teacher tries to go from advanced mode to turning it off and gets the blank page. I have asked Wen to take the lead on maintaining GBPv2 but I figure between the 3 of us we can tighten things up pretty nicely just in time for Moodle 1.9. If you want to take a crack at the code that would be great! Peace - Anthony
In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
James - I think we removed all of the group variables. I am not getting the property of non-object error beginning on line 745 so it is something related to $mod - I will be looking into that now. In the meantime, if you could test what is in CVS (18STABLE branch) that would help. Peace - Anthony

by James Rudd -
Hi Anthony,
Great job you are doing the GBPv2.

I've just tried the latest files from CVS. All the errors have gone except for :

This error occurs on both the View and Edit grade pages.

Thanks for all your work on this project.
-James
In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
James - I get a similar error around 715 - also mod related. The code looks fine but it leads me to think that somehow a variable is being passed that probably should not be. What is happening is that the module name is being looked up (things like assignment, forum, etc.) and the function is returning false so that the name property is not set. To really get at this we need to test what is failing by perhaps inserting (on a test server) something like:

if ($modname == false) {
echo 'Could not find modid: '.$cur_mod;
}

after line 313:

$modname = get_record('modules','id',$cur_mod);

The real question is how is it that in your database there are modids that do not correspond to a record in your mdl_modules table? Somehow we are getting incomplete data and we can either test for that and avoid it in the code or search out and destroy the bad data. Does that makes sense?

Peace - Anthony
In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
James - I patched /grade/lib.php to get rid of a similar error I was experiencing; however, I believe yours is due to some bad data. Could you do a var_dump($modname); before 314 and send me the results. That will help to figure out what is happening. Peace - Anthony

by James Rudd -
Hi Anthony,
I looked in the DB, and found in mdl_course_modules a few entries with a mod id of 0, this did not correspond to any entries in mdl_modules.

I deleted the entries and got your 745 error, then I updated to your new lib.php you put up 30 min ago and now I have no errors.

It seems it was all caused by some rogue mod id 0 entries, but I have no idea where they came from.

Thanks for your help,
James

UPDATE: i just checked and it appears the mod id 0 entries are created by GBP graded events.
In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
James - Thanks for the feedback - that definitely will help us to track it down and will explain why I was not seeing it on the courses I was looking at because I had not created any of the GBP graded events. I'll see if I have some time today to test for that and work around that error. Peace - Anthony
In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
James - I've just checked in a change to /grade/lib.php in response to CONTRIB-84 which was the problem you were experiencing with line 314. If you could test it then I will go ahead and update all of the changes in GBPv2 HEAD. I think the changes make the code a little more solid. I have also started mapping out a path from GBPv2 to Moodle 1.9. I'm hoping to try playing with some old production data today. Peace - Anthony
In reply to James Rudd

by Anthony Borrow -
The undefined $group variables were removed from core. I will test taking them out of GBPv2 and if I do not notice a difference then I will remove them from CVS. An initial look at the code indicates that this should be a pretty easy fix.

I am more reluctant to fix the line 314 error as that is what is currently in core. I will have to look in more detail about what is causing it and if needed file an issue in the tracker.

Peace - Anthony

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Anthony!
I think I found a missing string. Or maybe not, but hopefully you can tell! I saw this when I was importing content into another course. Is this a gradebook string, or a string from somewhere else?

atw
Attachment missing_string_gradebook_im.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
ATW - Looks like a language string oversight and typo in /backup/restorelib.php. MDL-6017 was already filed by Chardelle to address this issue. Eventually the strings will get added to /lang/en_utf8/grades.php. Peace - Anthony

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thank you for explaining. I could go add them myself now!
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
ATW - I didn't look very closely but I would be curious as to what you think the responses should say. I would be willing to add them to the GBPv2 grades.php language file if you have a suggestion for what they should be (at least until Eloy is able to fix it in CVS). Peace - Anthony

by A. T. Wyatt -
I have to guess at what is actually happening. I think maybe something like: "preparing gradebook data"? storing? preserving? copying?

If I knew more about how to read the code, I could probably do a better job of suggesting a string! Sorry!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Anthony Borrow -
That's OK - I did not feel like digging too deeply into the code either. In any case Eloy has patched the files in CVS. The strings are listed as:

$string['backupwithoutgradebook'] = 'Backup does not contain Gradebook configuration';
$string['respectingcurrentdata'] = 'leaving current configuration unmodified';

I have updated the GBPv2 language files to include the strings.

Peace - Anthony

by David Fountain -
Hi Anthony,
Did you catch the bug in the other discussion solved by Greg Lyon:

Hi Anil,
I think I've solved the issue you're seeing (and I was too) with gradebook v2_1.7 in Moodle 1.8...

go to /grade/lib.php and change the following line ( line 3682 in lib.php v1.3):
$configvar = get_config('', 'gradebookroles');
to
$configvar->value = get_config('', 'gradebookroles');

Hope it helps...don't know if there are other issues yet!
Greg.

Dave

by Anthony Borrow -
David - Thanks for that reminder. I replied to that patch and actually recommended against it. I think they should all be $configvar and no $configvar->values. The behavior/error should be fixed. Could you double check it is working. Peace - Anthony

by David Fountain -
Anthony, yes it's working - thanks.

One other. On the "Edit Grades" tab. The category and groups drop downs. Selecting a group gives you a group, selecting a category gives you that groups results for the category, but choose a different category to view and you get all of the students not just those in the group previously selected.

I fixed it on my system by putting in a hidden field around line 21xx in the lib.php file:

if ($action == 'edit') {
print '<table align="center" class="grade_edit">';
print '<tr><td><form name="cat_form">';
print '<input type="hidden" name="id" value="'.$course->id.'" />';
print '<input type="hidden" name="action" value="edit" />';
print '<input type="hidden" name="group" value="'.$group.'" />';
if ($preferences->use_advanced != 0) {
// Get other cat info and display category select if more than one category present

by David Fountain -
Anthony,

I also have a hack that allows me to upload a series of grade descriptions from a csv that I stuck onto this, would you like it - or is this going to be superseded by 1.9?

by Anthony Borrow -
My hope is that 1.9 will make the GBPv2 completely obsolete. I would be wiling to look at the code and even include it if others are interested in it. Peace - Anthony

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hopefully, yes. Certainly the infrastructure will be better. To get all the same user interface features, you may need to make some extra plugins to the new gradebook, but if they are popular GBP features, then perhaps they can go into Moodle core for 2.0.

by Anthony Borrow -
My hope is that 1.9 will make the GBPv2 completely obsolete. I would be wiling to look at the code and even include it if others are interested in it. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
I think I have the categories and groups working correctly now for editing grades. I have committed the patches to the 18STABLE branch of CVS (/contrib/patches/gradebookplus_17). Please not that HEAD does not reflect these changes or any of the updates that I have made as I wanted to maintain in HEAD the unchanged version until we had tested it and were sure that it works. Your help in testing it is greatly appreciated and I think we may be ready to update HEAD by the end of the week. Then I will be looking at what and how we will be migrating the GBPv2 data (namely events) to Moodle 1.9. Peace - Anthony

by Jason Hardin -
Has anyone been able to back up and restore graded events in Moodle 1.8 with Gradebook Plus v2?

I know for 1.5.4 Jeff had a patch to back up and restore that woudl allow processing of graded events but I can't find that he created any patched for 1.8.

Is there such a patch?

If not I am willing to look into porting the 1.5.4 patch to 1.8 but would rather avoid the extra work if possible.
In reply to Jason Hardin

by Jason Hardin -
Never mind I applied Jeff's 1.5.4 patch to backuplib.php and restorelib.php in 1.8 and it seems to work just fine.
In reply to Jason Hardin

by Anthony Borrow -
Jason - If you find the patch in 1.5 let me know and send me a URL. My next project with GBPv2 is to get a migration path worked out to 1.9; however, I was not aware that there were backup and restore issues. Could you detail the steps to create the problem and give me a little more information about what you are noticing so that I can reproduce and begin looking into more. Thanks - Anthony

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Anthony sorry that it took a while for us to post our testing results, super busy here! sad

OK, we found some issues with this gradebook plus v2.1.8 beta, actually one of the major issues were not caused by the gradebook plus v2 hack, but cause by the moodle assignment module.

The gradebook plus allows users to EDIT a grade to whatever they want. However, assignment uses dropdown menus for grading.
That infinite to finite relationship causes problems when a user enters a grade of 1000 when assignment only allows up to 100.

To fix that we changed the grading in assignment to use text fields. However, because we are not using text fields, we must now do error checking. So grading in assignments is limited to 0 - 999. If assignment uses scales, then the scales dropdown will appear.

Also we changed the behavior of each of the buttons available in the popup menu.

Previous - New button that saves changes and moves to the previous student to grade
Save Changes - Used to save and close the window. Now just saves the data and refreshes the window with feedback
Cancel - Closes the window
Next - Saves changes and moves to the next student to grade

I have attached the new /mod/assignment/lib.php file here (if people prefer I could supply a diff later), and will attach some screenshots and our new GBPv2 version later (we also changed the layout for student view a little bit)... feedback/comments welcome! smile

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Wen Hao Chuang -
OK here are the before and after screenshot to illustrate the problematic area:
Before:
Attachment gbp_v2_before.png

by Wen Hao Chuang -
After:
Notice that now for "scales" you will have a pull-down menu to select, instead of a text area to input. We thought that this make better sense.
Attachment gbp_v2_after.png

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Here is a slightly modified version of our GBP v2 after merging with Anthony's GBP v2.1.8. I think we changed the student view a little bit as well as other small customizations. Please help us test it and feedback/comments are appreciated, thanks! smile

by Anthony Borrow -
Wen - I'd appreciate it if you would look at the changes I made today in CVS to help with group and category navigation when editing grades. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Let me know if you need help merging in the latest changes that I made to resolve CONTRIB-84 and the other GBPv2 issues (i.e. undefined group variables, etc.). Thanks - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Wen - It is a significant improvement. I might be tempted after all. It would just mean maintaining one more file and keeping it updated with 18STABLE. Let me continue thinking about it as I work toward getting caught up on my "to do list". If other GBPv2 users would really like to see this included I am open to it but I think I will need a little encouragement to do it. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Wen - Thanks for posting a patched version for the /mod/assignment/lib.php that may avoid some issues with editing the grades. At this point, and I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, for the sake of simplicity, I would prefer to keep that as a separate patch and not "officially"part of the GBPv2 patch. With the goal of making GBPv2 obsolete by Moodle 1.9, I am willing to live with a few limitations in the GBPv2 code and I would consider editing the grades of assignments to be one of them. You have done well in documenting the issue and even providing a patch should folks desire it. By the way, now that I am in the Bay area (Berkeley) I would love to get together with you and the other Moodlers at SFSU. Peace - Anthony

by Stephanie D'Silva -

Hi,

Forgive me if this has been asked previously...

I'm trying to install and I've put the folder into the mod folder and have gone to the admin page this is where I receive an error about not finding a 'version.php' file...help? If I go back to the home page, it read's something about not having folder permissions...I've been able to add other modules without any problems.

Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

In reply to Stephanie D'Silva

by Anthony Borrow -
Stephanie - Technically the GBPv2 code is a patch (not a module). As such, it is meant to overwrite the code in the /grade folder. For that reason, I try to keep the code as patched as I can with what is in Moodle core. So instead of copying the files to /mod/ copy them /grade and overwrite what is there. Please test on a test server first. Let me know if you have any questions or problems. Peace - Anthony

by Stephanie D'Silva -

Thanks for your help Anthony...however now I'm not too sure what's meant to happen. The first time I went to a grades page, it said, "Success Success" but everything looks the same...am I missing something again?

Thanks again,
Stephanie

by Anthony Borrow -
Stephanie - That is exactly what you should have seen. The two successes indicate that both of the tables for the grade events have been created and are ready to use. It sounds like you have GBPv2 working fine. Congratulations - Anthony

by Stephanie D'Silva -

Oh ok....Excellent!!! big grin

Thanks for all your help Anthony!

by Simon Walker -

Hi all,

I have a similar problem,

I have installed gradebookplus_v2_1.7 into moodle\mod folder, then copied the

the 'grade folder' from gbpv2_18_beta_20070722 into the moodle\grade folder. Still Im getting the error
"Module gradebookplus_v2_1.7: C:\moodle\moodle/mod/gradebookplus_v2_1.7/version.php was not readable"
I have installed modules before, but never any problems.
Can some one help please, and reply to simon.walker@yahoo.co.uk
Kind Regards
Simon
In reply to Simon Walker

by David Fountain -

Hi Simon

Hope I can help. Gradebook plus is not a module and so should not be in the mod folder.

It is a 'hack', the files in the grade folder should be placed in the grade folder in the moodle root - you might want to make a back-up copy of your original grade folder first, as they overwrite some of the originals.

Regards

Dave

How can I change tables to allow decimal grades

by Richard Webb -
It was posted in the former BGPv2 forum that GBPv2 is written to allow the use of decimal scores on assignments (e.g., a score of 24.5/25 for a homework assignment) but some MySQL tables would need to be changed from int to decimal (or something to that effect) for this to be possible. I tried to figure out which fields to change in my test installation of Moodle but ended up destroying my database completely with the change I made. Still, the teachers really would like the ability to use decimal grades so I am at it again. So I have some questions which I think will have general interest to other users of GBPv2.

1. Is it possible to have any assignments use decimal grades? If so, which types (e.g., those entered using "Manage Graded Events", online assignments, offline assignments, et al.)?

2. If it is possible to use decimal grades, which fields in which tables need to be changed and what specification should be used for the new field type (e.g., decimal, float, double and once these are chosen, are there other parameters that need to be specified such as length or decimals)?

by Colin Leslie -
We have been running into the same issue with teachers wanting to enter decimals in the Gradebook for Assignments. We have several teachers using Assignments to create off line quizzes, necessitating that they enter in the grades manually once the students submit the Assignment.

Decimals in the Gradebook are however allowed for both Quizzes (assuming you have set the quiz preferences to allow them) as well as for Graded Events generated manually within the grade book itself.

1st - Being as Assignment grades need to be entered manually upon completion by the student, generating a Graded Event manually for that assignment within the Gradbook will allow the teacher to give partial credit. There are a couple of issues that will have to be addressed with this work around.
- The event in the Gradebook generated by the Assignment will need to be placed into a catagory set to a weight of 0 so it does not interfere with the final grade tally.
- Alternately the off line assignment can be written up in something other than the assignment module.

2nd - Another solution is to use the quiz module and create an online assignment with essay questions, which will be graded manually. This will allow the teacher to assign partial credit for questions, as well as edit the grades within the Gradebook afterwards if the quiz setting is specified to use decimal points in the grades.

Obviously the ideal solution is to allow Events generated by the Assignment module to allow decimals, but for the moment homework is being assigned and classes are carrying on. So to everyone working on the db, keep up the hard work, it's much appreciated. But I hope this offers some temporary solutions.
In reply to Colin Leslie

Decimal Grades

by Richard Webb -
I found a reference to a bug report about decimal grades that included instructions for converting to using decimal grades. I just made the change today but it seems to be working fine. I had to make just one change on my "test server" but had to make three on our working server. I believe the difference relates to newer versions of GBP create managed events so they will be in decimal format. At any rate, here are the MySQL database entries I had to change:

1. Table: mdl_assignment_submissions
    Field: grade
  • Change from type int(11) to float(11,2)
    • This will make regular assignments take decimal values with two decimal places
Table: mdl_grade_events
  • Change from type int(11) to float(11,2) if necessary
    • This and the next change will make "Manage Graded Events" assignments take decimal values with two decimal places
Table: mdl_grade_events_grades
  • Change from type int(11) to float(11,2) if necessary
    • Combined with previous change will make "Manage Graded Events" assignments take decimal values with two decimal places

I used the phpmyadmin that is installed and accessible from the Database section of the Administration Block to make the changes. If you use phpmyadmin, select the appropriate database and then table. Click the pencil in the line of the grade field to edit the field. You will change the type to float by choosing float from the pulldown menu under type (that initially says int) and then putting (without the quotes) "11,2" in the Length/Values box.

Richard

In reply to Richard Webb

Re: Decimal Grades

by Anthony Borrow -
Thanks Richard for posting this information. I had done something similar with our production server (especially for the assignments). The idea of doing the same thing for the GBPv2 graded events is a good one. Peace - Anthony

More String Problems - Easy Fix?

by Thomas Wensink -

Greetings!

I love the mod!  However, there seems to be a problem with ALL my strings.  They all show up as editgrades, newevent, etc.  Is there an easy fix for this?

Cheers!

-Thomas Wensink

In reply to Thomas Wensink

Re: More String Problems - Easy Fix?

by David Fountain -

Hi Thomas

Yes, this is an easy one...any time you get the xxx... it means a file is missing from the lang directory.

In the zip file you should find a folder called 'lang' copy this to the moodle root where it will deposit its folders into the folder with the same name and hopefully all will be well. smile

Dave

Re: More String Problems - Easy Fix?

by Anthony Borrow -
Thomas - Actually for this patch - you should have a folder /grade/lang in which the language files are there. In fact the file you want is /grade/lang/en_utf8/grades.php (version 1.1.8.2) is the current one in CVS. Peace - Anthony

by Marcos Buarque de Hollanda -

HI, first of all, I would like to say thanks for the great patch. I have installed it and it runs smoothly... except for a script error that is thrown in Internet Explorer (not in Firefox). This script error is shown only in "Edit grades" page. The script error is in line 193 and it says "Unterminated string constant". I went to the source code and found out the script error is thrown because it seems there is a problem with the onclick="return openpopup(...)" part of the code. I am not skilled in PHP, but I found the line that originated that javascript window open error to be line 2395 of lib.php. In the code you can find the text...

onclick="return openpopup(\'"./course/mod.php?update=

This quotation mark appears in the source code and it causes this problem in Internet Explorer. I deleted the quotation mark and my Internet Explorer stopped throwing the errors, but the application behaves differently because the URL changes. The popup to each activity should show its frontpage, but after deleting the quotation mark, the link is different and the administrator is forwarded to the activity's edit page, which doesn't seem to be the correct thing.

What would be the right solution for this?

I am running the 1.8 version of the patch over an 1.8.2 Moodle install. Thanks and sorry if this thing has already been posted or addressed in this forum. I searched and did not find anything about this. Thank you in advance.

In reply to Marcos Buarque de Hollanda

by Anthony Borrow -
Marcos - My apologies for not responding sooner to your excellent post. I appreciate the detail and precision of your post. The most effective way of sharing a bug is through the tracker. I think the line number is now 2409. In any case, could you create an issue in the tracker to document this and then we can look at it and get it patched up. I try to make sure that I have a tracker issue for any changes I make to the code so that the documentation and my rationale for the change is clear. Peace - Anthony

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi, i'm quite new to Moodle and have finally got it all working..  I was wondering if and when their might be a GradeBook for 1.9?  I thought i might get lucky and tried installing this version of GradeBook to my Moodle 1.9 install.. but i just get a blank screen when i click on the Grades button...  Any info would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks,
  Tony

In reply to Tony Spedaliere

by Anthony Borrow -
Tony - AFAIK, all of the functionality that was in the GBPv2 for Moodle 1.8 should be natively in the Moodle 1.9 gradebook (managed grade items, editing directly, etc.). In fact, my hope is that the GBPv2 patch will be considered obsolete in Moodle 1.9. I would switch the code back to the original 1.9 code and play around. Let me know if there is something I have overlooked. Peace - Anthony

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi,

Does Gradebook Plus v2 work with SQL Server 2005?

I copied the contents of the zipped gradebook plus v2 into my grade folder of my moodle and i get an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when i try to access my "Grades".  Any ideas?

Thanks
  Tony

by Anthony Borrow -
Tony - I'm not aware of it not working but I have never tried it. I'm not sure what caused the 500 error but that seems to be an issue with the web server (as opposed to the database server). I would make sure that the files are owned and have the same privileges as the other files in your Moodle installation to eliminate the possibility that it is a permissions issue. What are your system specs (PHP version, IIS or Apache, Windows or Linux)? Peace - Anthony

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Anthony,

I'm running the following..

• Windows 2003 Server (SP2)
  • SQL Server 2005
  • PHP 5.2.4
  • Moodle 1.8

All the files and folders have the same permissions as my Moodle Installation..

Thanks,
  Tony

by Anthony Borrow -

by Tony Spedaliere -
sorry about that... IIS 6.0

by Anthony Borrow -
You may want to start researching here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/64e30660-d2f0-4e90-98cc-1652214a2b93.mspx?mfr=true

The challenge is to determine what the error is and why it is happening but I would focus on IIS and why it is not recognizing the files. If you replace the gradebook files with the old ones (i.e. the ones from core) does it work?

by Tony Spedaliere -

i'll search through that page you mentioned...

if i replace it with my original gradebook files... everything returns as normal and works just fine.

Thanks!

by Anthony Borrow -
Interesting - I wonder if it has anything to do with setting up the grade_events tables. Are you able to create tables manually somehow with MSSQL. If so try to create the tables defined in /grade/db/mysql.php. Then try to install the gbpv2 files and see what happens. It could be getting hung up there because there is no mssql.php. If you could let me know what the table definitions look like in MSSQL and I'll do what I can to get it working for others who might be in a similar situation. Peace - Anthony

p.s. - Another option is to upgrade to 1.9 in which case you should have all of the functionality of GBPv2. Which feature of GBPv2 are you looking to use?

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Anthony,

We're basically looking for something that would display the answer selected by the student and display their grade for that test/quiz/survey/etc...

Below is a sample of a table definition from mssql..

CREATE

I can create tables using SQL Management Studios... i'll try to work through the mysql.php for all the table columns and properties to see if i can get the table created.

For the upgrade to 1.9... I had read on a post in the forum that 1.9 should not be installed for production use until the final release is made avaliable. 

Thanks,
  Tony

TABLE `prefix_completion_assignments` (
`id` bigint(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
`userid` bigint(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`assignmentid` bigint(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`intAssignmentGrade` bigint(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
)
ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COMMENT='Stores assignment grades ';

by Tony Spedaliere -

Sorry about the last post... i posted the wrong table definition..

CREATE

TABLE [dbo].[MyImages] (
[ID] [int] NOT NULL ,
[Description] [nvarchar]
(50) NULL ,
[ImgField] [image] NULL
)

by Anthony Borrow -
That sounds more like what I would see in the quiz attempt reports or assignment submission reports. Let me know how it goes with getting the two tables created and if you are able to get GBPv2 working under MSSQL. However, if I understand your post about what you are looking for, I'm not sure you are going to find that functionality in GBPv2 but it could be that I just didn't understand. Peace - Anthony

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Anthony, 

I was able to create the 2 tables manually in SQL Server using SQL Management Studio.   I installed GBPv2 and got it working! smile 

Just to elaborate abit on what I'm looking for...  a student would login and take a test or survey that might be assigned to them.  They complete it and they are shown their mark for it.   Now for the teacher's side, if it's possible, i would like them to see what the student answered for each question plus show the teacher what the student got for that test or survey.   I hope that clarified it abit...

If GBPv2 might now show what the student answered for each questions.. is there another module that might do it or is it even possible to do?

Thanks,
  Tony

by Anthony Borrow -
Tony,

Great news on getting GBPv2 to work - nice work. Could you send me the table create statements you used to make the tables and I'll see if we can create a mssql.php file with that information. I may ask your help of doing a test install to see if we are able to get it working seemlessly for mssql.

The quiz module does what you are looking for. After a student completes a quiz attempt the student (unless prohibited by the teacher - not recommended in my pedagogical opinion) and the teacher can go back and review the attempt to see which questions the student missed. One of my favorite features was the item analysis report which allows the teacher to see the most frequently missed questions. I would review the quizzes with the students before the comprehensive final or before a unit test and specifically go in order of most missed because that meant that for whatever reason there was confusion about the question. In some cases, I had simply entered the wrong answer and I could correct it and regrade the attempts giving the students credit or in other cases I opted to give partial credit for an answer if they were able to articulate clearly why it should receive credit. You do not need GBPv2 for this functionality - it is part of the standard quiz module.

Happy Moodling! Anthony

by Tony Spedaliere -

Hi Anthony,

I have attached the mssql script that i used to create the 2 tables in mssql.  I wouldn't mind testing it once you have the php version of it. 

For the quix module, are you referring to the one that is already installed with Moodle or is it an extra one that i would need to download?  

Is it possible to uploaed a quiz and use the module to grade it or do  you have to use Moodle to create the quiz for the module to work?

Thanks,
  Tony

by Anthony Borrow -
Tony - I have created issue CONTRIB-198 where you can get the zip file with the attempted MSSQL patch for the GBPv2 patch. Simply copy the files over and give it a try on a fresh database (i.e. one that does not already have the mdl_grade_events table. Thanks for your help in reporting this and for your help in testing the patch. If it works we can go ahead and add it to CVS so other MSSQL users will not have this problem. Please post your comments in the tracker where we can effectively communicate about this particular issue. Peace - Anthony

by Marty Gilbert -
Picture of Core developers
I have a question about the installation of this patch.

I'm running Moodle 1.8.2+ on a CentOS 5 server.

I unpack the gradebookplus_v2_1.7.zip file, copy the contents into the $MOODLEROOT/grade folder, overwriting what's there.

Am I missing a 'next step'?

The next thing I do to see if it works is go to a course and click on grades. I get a blank page, with no source.

I'm using a Firefox browser.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

--Marty
In reply to Marty Gilbert

by Anthony Borrow -
Marty - Try turning on debugging and see what error message you get. Also, where did you download the file from? If from the Modules and Plugins page, which zip file did you download (the one for Moodle 1.8 or the latest)? Peace - Anthony

p.s. - To answer your question - it sounds like you did things right on the install.

by Marty Gilbert -
Thanks for the response, Anthony.

I downloaded it from the Modules and Plugins page, the one for Moodle 1.8.

Should I have downloaded a different one?

--Marty

by Marty Gilbert -
Here's the debugging info I get from the httpd logs:

PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /path/to/moodle/grade/lib.php on line 719, referer: http://myMoodleSite/course/view.php?id=92

Does that help any?

--Marty

by Anthony Borrow -
Marty - It helps a little bit but I would need to know the version at the top of the /grade/lib.php file to make sure I'm looking at the right line. It would also help me to know where and when you downloaded the GBPv2 code. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Marty (and others affected by this) - When I had attempted to do a simple merge, I had missed including a closing bracket for an else statement (around line 404) . In my haste, I did not notice the syntax error it produced. My apologies and many thanks for reporting it. I have now corrected it in CVS. The revised lib.php file (version 1.3.2.19) can downloaded by going to the CVS page for the lib.php, dragging the mouse over the download button for the 1.3.2.19 version, right-clicking and selecting save link as. Copy the downloaded file to your Moodle site's grade folder and you should be good to go. This should only effect revision 1.3.2.18, Sun Jan 6 07:35:37 2008 WST of the lib.php file. Do not use version 1.3.2.18 because it has a syntax error - it will not work. Instead try using the revised 1.3.2.19, Wed Jan 9 04:17:25 2008 WST or later. Again, my apologies for any inconvenience. Peace - Anthony

by Dr. Moodlearner -
On the editgrades page i don't see the input boxes to set the grade. What could be causing that? Please help

I downloaded the gradebook plus for 1.8. Moved the old /grade files to folder grade_old and copied files from gradebookplus_v2_1.7 to /grade.

I am using Moodle 1.8.2+ (2007021520)
Apache and php 4.4.7
In reply to Dr. Moodlearner

by Dr. Moodlearner -
Anyone here with idea on how to trouble shoot the above mentioned issue?
In reply to Dr. Moodlearner

by Anthony Borrow -
A screenshot might be helpful in getting a better idea of what is happening. Peace - Anthony

by Ms. Letha Sanders -

Hi Anthony,

You have helped me before when I was first gettng started with Moodle 1.8.3 and its installation.  I'm hoping you can instruct me on this area as well.  I'm very excited for my teachers to begin using the Gradebook Plus V2 hack.  However, I've run into this problem and don't know how to fix it.

If you'll instruct me on which tables to delete or which code to change, I'll do my best to make it work.

I've attached two pictures because two tabs "editgrades" and "addgrades" do not look just right.  They appear to be internal coding instead of English spelling. 

Please help Sir.  Thanks so much.  Ms. Letha  smile

Attachment gradebook-editgrades.JPG
In reply to Ms. Letha Sanders

by David Fountain -
Ms Letha,

The ??? indicate language strings that cannot be found. In the zip you should have a folder called lang\en_utf8\ inside which is a file called grades.php, if you put this into your moodle lang folder (same path) it should pick up the strings. If you are nervous about this then go into your moodle root:

moodle\lang\en_utf8

and make a backup of the file called grades.php that is already there just in case. The new gradebook plus language file has the extra strings required to correct your display.

Dave
In reply to Ms. Letha Sanders

by Anthony Borrow -
My first inclination would be to encourage you to upgrade to Moodle 1.9 and skip the GBPv2. All of the functionality that was in Moodle 1.8 with GBPv2 is
now included in Moodle core version 1.9. I think that is the better solution. I will try to support as best as I can those who are still making use of the GBPv2; however, my hope is that 1.9 will make it obsolete. The brackets is just a matter of the language files not being copied to the language folder. If memory serves me correctly, simply copy /grade/lang/en_utf8/grades.php to /lang/en_utf8/grades.php and you should then have the missing language strings. As I said, I would encourage upgrading to Moodle 1.9 but if you have reasons for not wanting to upgrade that should take care of things for you. Peace - Anthony

p.s. I did receive your email indicating that you are hesitant to upgrade to 1.9 because of some 3rd party code you are using and that is good reason to pause and at least do some testing to see if the contrib code you are using is working in 1.9.

by Dirk Koudstaal -
Hi Anthony,
Are there any help files (en_utf8/help) for the GPPv2_1.7 available?
Cheers, Dirk
In reply to Dirk Koudstaal

by Anthony Borrow -
Dirk - Currently there are no special help files for the GBPv2 patch. You are welcome to modify the ones that exist for the standard gradebook and I would be happy to include them. Feel free to share your ideas here or create a tracker issue to improve help/documentation and we can work on it together. As contributed code, there are obviously fewer users. As a result, I think documentation has been somewhat lacking. Feel free to help improve the documentation located at: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Gradebookplus.

by Jamie Tinley -
Hi Anthony and other users,

Does GBPv2 work yet with moodle 1.9? I tried installing it into the grade folder overwriting without success. I installed 1.8, no; then tried latest, no, then tried latest and went to the page for 1.9 updates for lib.php and overwrote that file and had still a blank page when trying to view grades. Then I tried to install the "all my grades" add in which is predicated on GBPv2 and it did not work either.

I really want a way for BOTH parents and students to see all their grades when logging in (I use my moodle and mentees). Any help would be appreciated. (moodle 1.9)

James
In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Anthony Borrow -
James - Good question, actually an important question. My hope is that folks that were using the GBPv2 patch in Moodle 1.8 will upgrade to Moodle 1.9 and use the 1.9 gradebook in core. AFAIK, all of the advantages and functionality of the GBPv2 gradebook were incorporated into the 1.9 core gradebook. The challenge is migrating the data from the GBPv2 (namely the graded events that were not associated with any activity) into 1.9 grade items. I will happily help folks work on getting their sites migrated as my hope is that the GBPv2 patch will be obsolete with 1.9 (IMO it is obsolete). So my advice is to start with your production data on a test server and upgrade it to 1.9 and then work at moving in any grade events from GBPv2 to the new installation. You should be able to use the core Moodle 1.9 code to accomplish what you need. Let me know if you have questions or need some help. Peace - Anthony

by Brian Pool -
Anthony,

I am still playing with 1.9.1 in test and have to think I am doing something wrong.

I don't see the ability to add graded events (like GBPV2), I don't see how to add grades directly into the gradebook(like GBPV2), I see all the hidden categories and graded items, and it is a mess.

Brian

In reply to Brian Pool

by Anthony Borrow -
Brian - Let's try attacking these one issue at a time. I know that when I first looked at the new gradebook, it was not intuitive to me that I would have to turn editing on in order to directly enter grades. As for adding grade items, it is under Edit - Categories and items (not on the grader report). I'd be interested in what happened to make hidden categories and grade items visible and in what context. I think we will have to look at a particular example of that. In any case, one step at a time. Thanks for your patience. Peace - Anthony
Attachment additem.jpg
In reply to Brian Pool

by David Fountain -
Brian,
The add graded events is in the drop down at the top left: "Choose an action"
  • Edit
    • Categories and Items
To add grades directly you need to 'turn editing on'...I've stuck a vid at the following address showing me doing this:

http://www.mrfountain.me.uk/moodle/gb19.swf

by Samantha Ashton -
Hi,

I am new to adding patches in to Moodle

I have downloaded the zip file, could someone explain what the next step is, do I need to put the new gradebook somewhere in particular.

Any help will be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Sam
In reply to Samantha Ashton

by David Banach -
Hi Samantha,

I remember being confused with this too, since these files go to two different places. You may find this link helpful in installing plugins in general;
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_contributed_modules_or_plugins

In this case

1. Extract the zip file
you will get some files and three folders: db lang and backup

1a. It is always wise to make backup copies of your installation files and database before adding major updates in case anything goes wrong.

2. Copy the individual files and the db folder into the the grade folder of your moodle directory.

3. The lang folder and the backup folder can be copied directly into your moodle directory. (where there are already instances of these folders)

That should do it in this case.

I hope this helps.

David
In reply to David Banach

by Samantha Ashton -
Hi David,

There is 2 folders, these are db & lang & then 4 PHP files which are addgraded, exceptions, index & lib, then there is 3 HTML pages, which are addgraded, exceptions & viewgraded.

There is no backup folder.

by David Banach -
The latest version at http://download.moodle.org/download.php/patches/gradebookplus_v2_1.7.zip also has the backup folder.

I don't know if it is necessary or not.

At any rate, the same instructions apply, just without the backup folder.

The files and the db folder go in the grade directory of your moodle directory.
The lang folder goes in the main moodle directory.

Good Luck!

David
In reply to David Banach

by Anthony Borrow -
David - I would recommend having the backup folder. It was added in response to CONTRIB-174 which recognized that grade items were not being included in the course backups. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Sam - I would just add that I think the better choice is to make use of Moodle 1.9. All of the functionality in GBPv2 is included in Moodle 1.9; however, the user interface has been received somewhat critically as not being very user friendly. So if you have a production site running Moodle 1.8 and you do not want any big changes to the gradebook but some added functionality then a case could be made for installing the GBPv2 patch. If you are starting up a new site or new semester/year then you may want to consider 1.9. A number of improvements are being worked on for Moodle 1.9.5 to begin addressing the user interface issues. Let me know if you have any questions. Peace - Anthony

by ben caple -
ok ok i'm still an rookie but i would like to install this cool feature but you guys all talk like everybody knows where everything goes... I'm still learning... SO i have Moodle 1.8.2+... SO does this work or do i have to all that stuff above to make it work and if so how do you install it??? Sorry guys. I not being rude just.