freemind filter

freemind filter

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 96
During a recent discussion in the Moodle Lounge, someone said that it would be nice to have a FreeMind filter for embedding mind maps in Moodle. I searched this forum and found this discussion from 2005. The discussion seemed to go in circles and then die. I then checked the third party modules and plugins database. Not finding one there, I decided to write it.

The filter is written from scratch, and hopefully efficient. If there people are interested, I will add it to the modules and plugins database. The filter should work with any version of Moodle and any browser having the Java plugin.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Isner

Re: freemind filter

by Pete Richardson -

I would be interested in trying it out too.

P

In reply to John Isner

by John Isner -
Hello everyone, and thank you for your interest in the freemind filter.

I am putting on the finishing touches and will make it available very soon. I will post a message to this forum and let you know how to get it (hopefully, the modules and plugins database).
In reply to John Isner

by John Isner -
The freemind filter now has an entry in the modules and plugins database. I will add documentation to the documentation wiki. Meanwhile, here is what you need to know to get started.

freemind filter

Displays "mindmaps" created by the FreeMind desktop app

Installing the filter

• create a new directory $CFG->dirroot/filters/freemind
  • upload freemind.zip to the directory and unzip it there
  • activate the filter (Site Administration -> Modules -> Filters)
freemind.zip contains four items
  • filter.php -- the filter code
  • freemindbrowser.jar -- the Java applet
  • my_novel.mm -- a sample mind map created by FreeMind
  • README -- basically repeats everything I'm saying here.

How the filter works

The filter searches for links to files with the '.mm' suffix and replaces them by an applet that displays the mind map. It replaces everything from the opening tag <a> to the closing tag </a>, inclusive.
  • Any text before the <a> will be placed above the applet
  • Any text following </a> will be placed below the applet
  • Any text between the tags will be discarded
For example, suppose the original text looks like this:

Here's the outline of my novel <a href=...>Hahaha</a>Wasn't that funny?

After filtering, the text will look like this:

Here's the outline of my novel<br/> <applet> .... </applet><br/>Wasn't that funny?

and will display like this:

Here's the outline of my novel
mind map created by FreeMind
How do you like it?

Adjusting the applet's size

By default, the applet's height and width are 100% of its parent element (the element in which the applet is embedded). As a result, one way of controlling the size of the mind map is by controlling the size of the parent element. A table cell in a 1 x 1 table can be used, but you must be sure to set the cell height and width properties to 100%. These properties can only be set through the Cell properties dialog, which is accessed from the Table toolbar of the Enlarged HTML editor.

Alternatively, you can specify the applet's size in pixels by appending a 'height' and/or 'width' parameter to the right of the file location. For example, to make a mindmap 300 pixels wide and 450 pixels high, type the following into the Location box when creating the link:

http://mysite/file.php/2/my_novel.mm width=300 height=450

The parameters may be written in any order, but must follow the URL.

The only disadvantage of using the height and width parameters is that you can only change them by toggling into html mode in the editor.

Interacting with the applet

The mind map displayed by the applet is dynamic. If you left click on a node, it will fold. Left click again and it will open. Left click and drag to move the map. Right click in a node, branch, or on the canvas for an appropriate context menu. Read the FreeMind applet FAQ to find out what else you can do. One thing you CAN'T do is modify the underlying structure of the map. That can only be done in the FreeMind desktop application.

Outstanding problems

I'd really like to eliminate the inner scrollbars, but I haven't figured out how to do it. Help anyone? There are lots of parameters that the applet exposes, but I don't know enough about FreeMind to know which ones are important. If you need something parameterized, let me know and I'll expose it.

Please use this discussion to report feedback (positive or negative) and any problems you encounter.
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear John

there is a error, see whats happend:

Bye Andy

Attachment freemind.gif
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by John Isner -
I had to move the file. It works now. Try again.
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi John

Murphys Law or whazz up ? wink

Youre file has really gone and i cant find it. I delete the cache of my browser, see the attched picture, it shows F like Freemind ...

Attachment freemind2.gif

by John Isner -
Freemind is below Forum Plus. Is that why it's not in your screenshot?

Interesting: When log out of moodle.org, I cannot see it. When I log back in, I can see it (see my screenshot). Are YOU logged in?

I don't understand why we see a different list depending on our loggin in status.
Attachment modules_and_plugins_db_showing_freemind.png
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear John

You can believe me, it was and it is not there, after Forum Plus was and is not your Filter. I didn´t see it with and without login wink

At the moment i´m not sure if i´m dreaming, my computer make a break or the tomatoes from my salat jumps on my eyes ...

LOL Andy

I will say John, we stay in touch and we will see what happend!

Attachment freemind3.gif

by John Isner -
Hi Andy,
You are not dreaming. I created a new user account and logged in, and I also could not see it!

A.T. Wyatt told me that the module was approved, and I assumed that meant I could announce it people could download it. However I guess it is not so simple. Maybe it needs approval from HQ? smile

Have some more tomatoes and I will let you know when it is truly available.
In reply to John Isner

by A. T. Wyatt -
Sorry, guys! When John changed the download link, the entry went back to "waiting for approval" status! I have approved it again, so you should be able to see it now.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by John Isner -
Thanks smile
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Anyway,

first John, thank you for sharing with us! This will be (i can test it in the next two weeks) a very interesting filter, because the schools work with exactly that freemind version.

Thanks too for your patience!
Andy
In reply to John Isner

by Henryk Szczudlik -
Hi John,

I'd like to ask for a little help with your filter. It downloaded fine. Also, I had no problems activating the filter in the administrative section of my Moodle. I don't know, however, how to use it.

I uploaded a FreeMind map to my resource area and wanted to link the uploaded map with a text field or website created within Moodle but got stuck there.

I can't understand the example yopu give in your post:

"For example, suppose the original text looks like this:

Here's the outline of my novel <a href=...>Hahaha</a>Wasn't that funny?

After filtering, the text will look like this:

Here's the outline of my novel<br/> <applet> .... </applet><br/>Wasn't that funny?"

Could you give a different one, of how to use the filter. In other words, I don't know what format should the link to the map be. It must be simple, but I can't seem to be able to figure it out on my own.

Thank you.
Henryk

In reply to Henryk Szczudlik

by John Isner -
Here's a series of screenshots showing how I like to insert a mind map. I use a one-celled table because it's easy to resize. It looks like a lot of steps, but it only takes a few seconds to do. Let me know if you have any questions.
twelve_steps_for_inserting_a_mind_map.png
In reply to John Isner

by Antônio Cordeiro -
Dear John,

What should I do to maintain the links as text or images, in ".mm" files uploaded to moodle?

Have you heard about FreeMind Flash Browser?

Thank You
Antônio Cordeiro
In reply to Antônio Cordeiro

by John Isner -
Hi Antonio,

What should I do to maintain the links as text or images, in ".mm" files uploaded to moodle?

It's a good question, and I don't have an answer. Have you tried uploading a .mm file that has images? If so, do the images display in Moodle? If so then I think the answer to your question is that you maintain them on your local disk. Keep the images and the .mm file in the same directory on your local disk. Be sure that image filenames don't contain any spaces. Make all changes using the FreeMind app. Then zip the contents of the directory, upload the zip file to a corresponding directory in course files, delete everything in that directory, and unzip. I know this is crude, but I know of no way to maintain links "in moodle."

Have you heard about FreeMind Flash Browser?

Yes, but that's about all.
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
I love this kind of threads, this question stands on my todo list! This was my idea too, that i contain all in a folder, zip them and load them up do extract in a new and empty folder.

I will try this the next days, anyway John, your filter is greatly!!! Thanks again for sahring with us, because all teachers work with freemind and the are really happy they can merge files from freemind.

Which version do you use? The teachers use 0.90 beta 9 - in the next days 0.90 beta 12.

Andy

by John Isner -
Andy,
Actually I don't use FreeMind myself, but I saw that many people were interested in it, so I provided it. I will watch for the new beta 12 and make sure to update the applet with the latest version.
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
John

There´s no trouble with the version 0.9.0 beta 9 and the filter - it works fantastic! I ask if someone has experience if in the beta 12 version some major changes! So if u will wait, i can give a feedback when they have install the new beta version.

Andy

by John Isner -
Andy,
Good idea. I will wait for your feedback.
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear John

It seems to work anything with the beta 12 version of freemind. One thing John, but i dont know has it someting to do with the filter. Sometimes - when they enlarge the editor - modify the cell properties, it works yes, but not as he should work. One user show me, he must go back to the enlarge editor and modifiy the table properties too. After he has do that, it works great!

Next point, sometimes and i can confirm, (i go back to that thread with your screenhots John) its not enough to tell the cell and or table properties 100 percent, the filter and or the file will, that the user modify the properties and and give the height and width size in pixels, first then the mindmap shows in a correct size format.

Next point, but this i must check again. One teacher tell me, the he has configure one link correct, but the ouput on this place shows online "noText". He said, his file is ok, but please wait to that point before i check it.

At the end of this month we make a little online workshop to freemind John, after the workshop i can tell you more, is there a little problem with the filter (it seems no) or sit the problem in front of the monitor wink

Andy

by John Isner -
Hi Andy. I promise to look into this tonight when I get home.

by John Isner -
Hi Andy,
I tried it again. You're right about using percent values for table width and height. The values seem to be ignored. Instead, set table width and height in pixels. You can use large numbers (e.g., 1000 x 1000) if you want a full-screen effect. Or, you can adjust the table manually using the handles. Then save. The mindmap will remember your table size this way. Let me know if it works for you.

Tell me more about the link problem. What kind of link is he inserting?

Attachment insert_hyperlink_into_a_mindmap.png
In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear John

I have over the weekend a online meeting with the coordinator of this school. I tell him he should send me his file, where the problem with the failing link is in.
The size of a mindmap or the window where the mindmap open, i see not a problem in this case, they can set the mindmap the width and height manual, i mean thats a better way, so ist more flexible.

John the kids (they are 12-14 years old) love your filter too. The make am homework and the brought unbelievable results to the elearning system! So many thanks again for sharing with us!

Andy

by John Isner -
Andy,
I am interested to know how MindMaps are used in your school (and especially how they are used with Moodle).
  • Do teachers create MindMaps and put them into Moodle for students to see and manipulate?
  • Do students also create their own MindMaps?
  • If students create MindMaps, dp they submit them to you through Moodle?
  • Are student MindMaps displayed in Moodle? If so, how do you do it?

In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear John

Ok, there a different they need it:
First i wanna tell, they set the mindmaps "NOW" you can say in every class and every (what you say) school subject, beginning from class 5-6 until class 11-12 on german gymnasium (like a high school).

Some teacher load a mindmap into moodle to show the students complex connections and linkages. They can´t do this before, because they did not have enough pc´s to show all students. The second reason, not every student has a pc at home or the software installed. With your filter John, they did not need this software on their pc, they can watch the mindmaps in moodle, fantastic.

Now as a example, in the school subject Politics and economics the teachers show the students, how works with freemind. Next step is (and this is the answer of your question John), the student make in homework their own mindmap, load them up in moodle, example in a forum, or they send the files as a attachment of an email, the teacher load the files up inside the course and make a link to the *.mm file.

I tell the teachers, make a assigment, the student can upload the files on that place, they will do this in the future.

The next step what we do in coorporation with the school, we make online workshops (<- not the module workshop) to freemind, to geogebra and the pretty filter and TechCode (TexFilter), so the students can create their own formulas (example in assignments or glossary).

We support the school not only with their moodle installation, we support the server and clients inside the school. This school is one the first school in their region, all pc´s based on linux (Ubuntu). On the clients runs beside the standard software:

- Freemind
- Geogebra
- MuPad

and some other special software. Freemind was what they needed most, not only in the school wide network, no in moodle! You will not believe me, when i tell you, that arround 60 percent of the teachers create mindmaps. Example:

Mathematics

Without GeoGebra the teacher have i will not say trouble, but it was not easy to show the students, what will a teacher say to them. With GeoGebra they have fantastic results, kids with 10 years learn to deal fast with the software.

In Combination with Freemind, they can not only show the purely mathematical way, the can show them the logic functions, straight in algebra or geometry. Those are completely new perspectives open. Biology, chemistry and physics, in all subjects are used Freemind.

Unfortunately contents are present only in German language. A teacher would like to furnish however a course only for GeoGebra and Freemind (with some examples). The teacher will permit us surely to install that on one of our test servers (there is the place he develop the content). Then I invite you gladly John!

Andy

by John Isner -
Hi Andy,
Thank you for the explanation of how you use FreeMind in your school.

the student make in homework their own mindmap, load them up in moodle, example in a
forum, or they send the files as a attachment of an email, the teacher load the files up inside the course and make a link to the *.mm file. I tell the teachers, make a assigment, the student can upload the files on that place, they will do this in the future.

It is too bad that students can't upload their MindMaps and then create their own links in the HTML editor, in a forum, glossary, online assignment, etc. The teacher has to do it for them.

I also use GeoGebra and I agree that it is fantastic. Do you have problems sizing GeoGebra worksheets? I have no luck using the table method.

Managing (storing, linking, sizing) GeoGebra worksheets and FreeMind mind maps have identical problems.

The next step what we do in cooporation with the school, we make online workshops (<- not the module workshop) to freemind, to geogebra and the pretty filter and TechCode (TexFilter), so the students can create their own formulas (example in assignments or glossary).

Have you seen the new open source applet-based WYSIWYG equation editor called DragMath? See this discussion. Students do not have to write LaTeX. Students build the equation graphically (using drag and drop) and finally ask for LaTeX output on the clipboard (to paste into Moodle HTML editor). It is a solution that works well with Moodle.

In reply to John Isner

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear John

They has no problems with the size of GeoGebra, they link files in a lot of muodules, in a glossary, in the book module, in a textfile and it seems to work wihout any problems A N D without they must configure any table to set percent or pixels ...!?

I have a mail from a teacher John, in the next week, i can give you course on one of our test server with content of some GeoGebra files, so you can look what they have done. The teacher is a really nice guy, i´m sure he will be happy if you take a look of that what he´s doing, He start first to work with GeoGebra, but he know what he´s doing! This is the teacher who has create the mindmap where i told you, that he has the problem that one link is showing as "no Text", so you can take a look of this too. I will send you a short message when your test course is ready, so i you will John!

DragMath (i´m follow some days the discussion) and when it comes together with a solution that students has access to the files folder on their own files, this will be more than a fantastic extension! Yes you´re right with the formulas, at the moment they take the formula editor in open office with an latex extension on linux, but they have a special editor for creating TechCode too.

Nice weekend John
Andy
In reply to John Isner

by Antônio Cordeiro -

Dear John,

I´ve set up the filter in localhost without success as you can see in print screen attached in message: "This URL is malformed! no protocol: file.mm "

Maybe I´ve put a wrong link in "browsemode_initial_map":
$text .= ' <param name="browsemode_initial_map" value=' . '"file.mm">';

Finally, when you say "make all replacements" in arrays...

$search = array();
$search[0] = "/XXXXXX/";
$search[1] = "/YYYYYY/";
$search[2] = "/ZZZZZZ/";

... I supposed that each file name will be an other mental map "linked" at "browsemode_initial_map", right?

Best regards,
Antônio

Attachment teste_mapa_mental.JPG

by John Isner -
Hi Antonio,
There may be a problem with the link. If you put the editor into HTML source mode, it should look something like <a href="http://yoursite.com/file.php/2/file.mm">xxx</a>. Then after filtering, the link should be replaced by an <applet> tag with the file URL somewhere inside as one of the applet parameters.

Please post again and show us
  • the link you see in the HTML editor when you put the editor in HTML source mode
  • the <applet> tag you see when you "View page source" after you "save" and the page loads.
Also please note that there's a new discussion with pointers to documentation and new download/install instructions.

I'm sorry you're having trouble.
In reply to John Isner

by Antônio Cordeiro -
Hi John,

Thank you! I´ve set up applet at filter with wrong pathname!

Have you heard about Wiki Mind Map? This API runs a Flah Browser instead Java Browser. Is it possible to adapt your filter for running Flah Browser in moodle? It seems to me that the diference is to call a javascript file with flash object before page loads as you can see in this sample html:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<meta name="description" content="freemind flash browser"/>
<meta name="keywords" content="freemind,flash"/>
<title>MINDMAPS</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="flashobject.js"></script>
<style type="text/css">

/* hide from ie on mac \*/
 html {
 height: 100%;
 overflow: hidden;
 }

#flashcontent {
 }
 /* end hide */

body {
 margin: 0;
 padding: 0;
 background-color: #9999ff;
 }

</style>
<script language="javascript">
function giveFocus()
 {
 document.visorFreeMind.focus();
 }
</script></head>
<body onLoad="giveFocus();">

<div id="flashcontent" onmouseover="giveFocus();">
 Flash plugin or Javascript are turned off.
 Activate both and reload to view the mindmap
 </div>

<script type="text/javascript">
 // <![CDATA[
 // for allowing using http://.....?mindmap.mm mode
 function getMap(map){
 var result=map;
 var loc=document.location+'';
 if(loc.indexOf(".mm")>0 && loc.indexOf("?")>0){
 result=loc.substring(loc.indexOf("?")+1);
 }
 return result;
 }
 var fo = new FlashObject("visorFreemind.swf", "visorFreeMind", "100%", "100%", 6, "#9999ff");
 fo.addParam("quality", "high");
 fo.addParam("bgcolor", "#a0a0f0");
 fo.addVariable("openUrl", "_blank");
 fo.addVariable("startCollapsedToLevel","3");
 fo.addVariable("maxNodeWidth","200");
 //
 fo.addVariable("mainNodeShape","elipse");
 fo.addVariable("justMap","false");
 fo.addVariable("initLoadFile",getMap("freeMindFlashBrowser.mm"));
 fo.addVariable("defaultToolTipWordWrap",200);
 fo.addVariable("offsetX","left");
 fo.addVariable("offsetY","top");
 fo.addVariable("buttonsPos","top");
 fo.addVariable("min_alpha_buttons",20);
 fo.addVariable("max_alpha_buttons",100);
 fo.addVariable("scaleTooltips","false");

fo.write("flashcontent");
 // ]]>
 </script>
</body>
</html>

Best regards,
Antônio

by John Isner -
I think you are talking about the Freemind Flash browser, which is an alternative to the Freemind applet. It would probably be easy to create a flash version of the filter. We could make two versions available.

I really like the idea of using mind maps to explore/navigate wikis. However I do not understand the relationship between Freemind and "Wiki Mind Map." Is Wiki Mind Map based on Freemind? Do you know how it works? If so, do you have a good link? I was unable to find any details about how it works. The Wiki Mind Map demo is very impressive.
In reply to John Isner

Wiki Mind Map

by Antônio Cordeiro -
Hi John,

Wiki Mind Map is a dynamic Mind Map created with PHP, XML, MySql (or other database) and Flash.

The Freemind Flah Browser seems to be one the first Mind map Tools, with which one can dynamically generate comfortably and in addition visually much responding Mind map for the representation in the Webbrowser. But it has no direct interface or API in addition.

It is particularly simplified the development the fact that in the provided HTML file (for the announcement of the Mind map in the Web) which can be indicated the.mm file (in the XML format) must not have necessarily the ending .mm. If one instead .php uses, this accepts the FreemindFlashBrowser.

Besides one is able to produce with most Webhostern simply with PHP the necessary XML Konstrukt. The only problem is only that one cannot hand post office variables over to this file. Therefore one must be content with GET variables and with it the transmission over the URL.

If one wants to produce dynamic Mind map from form inputs, the HTML file, which contains also the FreemindFlashBrowser, should possess naturally the ending .php.

I´ve reached a reference for understanding wiki mind map´s Konstrukt at: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goermezer.de%2Findex.php&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I´d like to implement this API in Moodle for content´s visual information. The purpose is to produce a prototype for my final Practice Pedagogical Project.

Abs,
Antônio

Attachment frame_do_prot_tipo.JPG

Re: Wiki Mind Map

by John Isner -
I partially understand. The goal is to generate mind maps dynamically. This would have tremendous value, as the examples in your link illustrate. I'm not sure it would be easy to integrate with Moodle. Perhaps Wiki could be modified to respond to a request for its structure as an XML file which could be somehow read dynamically by the Flash browser. It sounds like a good project for a good Web programmer (not mesmile).
In reply to John Isner

Flash Browser Filter

by Antônio Cordeiro -
Dear John,

I'm sure it wouldn´t be easy to integrate dynamic maps with Moodle! So, we could try to "translate" the filter to write a flash browser object. I´ve noted this difference between Flash and Java browser:

1 - <script type="text/javascript" src="flashobject.js"></script>

I suppose this line must go to a
lib/javascript.php that calls many scripts inside <head></head>;

2 - <script language="javascript">
function giveFocus()
{
document.visorFreeMind.focus();
}
</script>
</head>
<body onLoad="giveFocus();">

<div id="flashcontent" onmouseover="giveFocus();">
</div>

How to set up this code since ".php" filter page build a link inside other page?

3- <script type="text/javascript">
// <![CDATA[
// for allowing using http://.....?mindmap.mm mode
function getMap(map){
var result=map;
var loc=document.location+'';
if(loc.indexOf(".mm")>0 && loc.indexOf("?")>0){
result=loc.substring(loc.indexOf("?")+1);
}
return result;
}
var fo = new FlashObject("visorFreemind.swf", "visorFreeMind", "100%", "100%", 6, "#9999ff");
fo.addParam("quality", "high");
fo.addParam("bgcolor", "#a0a0f0");
fo.addVariable("openUrl", "_blank");
fo.addVariable("startCollapsedToLevel","3");
fo.addVariable("maxNodeWidth","200");
//
fo.addVariable("mainNodeShape","elipse");
fo.addVariable("justMap","false");
fo.addVariable("initLoadFile",getMap("freeMindFlashBrowser.mm"));
fo.addVariable("defaultToolTipWordWrap",200);
fo.addVariable("offsetX","left");
fo.addVariable("offsetY","top");
fo.addVariable("buttonsPos","top");
fo.addVariable("min_alpha_buttons",20);
fo.addVariable("max_alpha_buttons",100);
fo.addVariable("scaleTooltips","false");

fo.write("flashcontent");
// ]]>
</script>

Here javascript build a flash object and load file that calls "getMap" function. Is there a problem to write this code as "$text .= ' <applet'; etc..."?

Best Regards,
Antônio

Re: Flash Browser Filter

by Antônio Cordeiro -

Hi John,

I´ve set up freemind filter to load flash browser inside moodle. It´s ok! However the file doesn´t load! It seems to me that problem could be <DIV> tag that shows "flashcontent" wrote in javascript function:

<div id="flashcontent" Xonmouseover="giveFocus();"></div>

Would you have any sugestion for adapting this in filter?

Best regards,

Antônio Cordeiro  

by John Isner -
Maybe you should post your filter.php.
In reply to John Isner

by Antônio Cordeiro -
Dear John,

Could you take look?

Thanks,
Antônio

by John Isner -
Could you also post the "View page source" you get when a page displays?
In reply to John Isner

by Antônio Cordeiro -
I´ve posted file "view filter source".

Thanks.

by John Isner -
Hi Antonio,
It is too complicated for me. Do you use Firebug (a Firefox add-on)? It is good for finding errors and inspecting code in the browser.
In reply to John Isner

by Antônio Cordeiro -

Hi John,

I´ve downloaded it last saturday.  It shows me that the object hasn´t properties and because of this the file doesn´t load.

Thanks,

Antônio

In reply to John Isner

Wiki Mind Map

by Antônio Cordeiro -
Dear John,

Felix Nyffenegger created a webservice that represents some mediawiki wiki's (like the english wikipedia) as a mindmap, starting from a given keyword. You can find it at http://www.wikimindmap.org/.

The php-script he wrote that dynamically generates a mm-file based on a keyword and a mediawiki wiki, might be of interest to you. He released it under GPL at http://www.wikimindmap.org/getWikiMindMap.htm. It's the getpages.php file that is most interesting.

It searches for a given keyword at for example the english wikipedia and represents the results as a mm file. It takes the article with the name of the keyword, creates branches for each section within that article and subbranches for subsections and finally subbranches for all links within a (sub)section. Internal and external links are represented differently.

Very usefull for everybody that wants to work with mindmaps that are dynamically generated based on some sort of database (mysql,files,websites). Thanks Felix.

Font: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1423817&forum_id=22101

by John Isner -
Hi Antonio,
Thank you for pointing out the brilliant WikiMindMap project! I have been looking for something like this. I will download it and try it.

I think that it would be more useful to map the category structure of a wiki, rather than the article structure (as you explained, Felix maps the article structure -- sections/subsections/links). For example, when I type "Geodesy" in the search box, it should be interpreted as "Category:Geodesy" and should map the categories and subcategories, like the Ajax Category Tree feature of Wikipedia (see screenshot). What do you think?

Attachment category_tree.png
In reply to John Isner

by Antônio Cordeiro -
Hi John,

I agree with you! Category structure of a wiki maybe become the mental map a kind of concept map!

So, I remain with the same problem in moodle to do him runs freemind flash browser!

regards,
Antonio

by John Isner -
I contacted Felix Nyffenegger a while ago and asked if he was interested in doing a version of WikiMindMap that maps category structure, rather than page structure. He is willing to do it, but he needs funding, and I don't have a paying client at the moment.
In reply to John Isner

Re: freemind filter -filepath for 1.8.2

by Mary Parke -
The readme file in the installation zip points to dirroot/filters/freemind

In 1.8.2, this folder is "filter" not "filters" in order to access it through the admin functions.

(Just create a directory called "freemind" inside the default "filter" folder and upload the filter.php and freemindbrowser.jar to this new directory).

- Mary
In reply to Mary Parke

Re: freemind filter -filepath for 1.8.2

by John Isner -
Yes, you're right. the instructions in the forum are buggy. It should be 'filter' not 'filters'.

What a coincidence! I have been working today on an article in the documentation wiki with much more complete (and hopefully more accurate!) instructions, including updated details on resizing mind maps. Don't look now--it's still in draft form. When I finish it later tonight, I will post a link in this forum. You don't need to worry about this, but I'm also changing the installation instructions so that people get their freemind-browser.jar from sourceforge, rather than bundling it with filter.php). This will avoid confusion if the FreeMind project comes out with a new desktop app that requires a new freemind-browser.jar. If you decide to upgrade, you upgrade both and I keep out of the picture (the freemind filter is unlikely to change).
In reply to John Isner

Freemind Filter Help

by Chris Witham -
We have recently started using Freemind in our school and I think this will be an excellent way of integrating the results in our Moodle system.

I have managed to install the filter and got the mm files to display as maps within a quiz in a course however when I use the add resource, create a web page facility and try to add a map it does not get converted. The html code shows the applet tags but the original link to the file remains on the page with no map being displayed.

Sometimes the status bar of IE says the applet coud not be launched and other times I get a square box in Firefox with a red cross i the top left hand corner. It usually causes Firefox to crash.

Can anyone help me please? I presume the filter must be working for it to do the job in a quiz, I just can't work out why it doesn't work in the web page.

Many thanks in advance.
In reply to John Isner

by mauro mascia -
i've tried to install freemind filter but does not work.
when i click on the resource , a java window appear telling me that web address is not valid
any idea?
thanks
In reply to mauro mascia

by John Isner -
Did you follow the installation instructions given here?

When you say that you "click on the resource" what do you mean? You are supposed to create a hyperlink containing the URL of an .mm file, which should be a URL accessible by your Web server (typically, you upload the .mm file to the Files area of your course). What is the invalid Web address reported by java? Perhaps that will help clear up the mystery.
In reply to John Isner

by mauro mascia -
hallo and thank for answer
i think that the problem is into the java application
here you can see an example (without using the filter)

http://www.iltk.it/public/freemindbrowser.html

thanks
In reply to mauro mascia

by John Isner -
The information I asked for is in the java alert (see screenshot). The URL that the applet is trying to open is http://www.iltk.it/public/test.mm. This URL is not publicly accessible (I just tried it from my browser, and I got a 404 error), and it is apparently not accessible by your Web server either. If you had uploaded it to your course Files area, the URL would look something like this:

http://yoursite/file.php?file=/3/test.mm

Once again, you have two choices:
  • upload test.mm to your course files area and link to it there
  • upload test.mm to some public place on the Web and link to it there

Attachment FreeMind_alert.png
In reply to John Isner

by mauro mascia -
following the instructions for the installation and use i've done a "link to a file or a web site" and in the general table i've write a test , selected it and used "Insert web link".
after that , the link to this new resource is:

http://mysite/mod/resource/view.php?id=31

maybe this is the problem... is this the correct procedure for to add a file?
thanks
In reply to mauro mascia

by John Isner -
There is no problem with your installation, but there is a problem with the link.

The correct procedure: First upload the .mm file to your course Files using the Files icon in your Administration block. Then, decide where you want to display the MindMap. Suppose you want to display it in a Quiz question. When you are creating the question, you will be typing in the HTML editor. Highlight some text and click the Insert Web Link button ed_link.gif on the editor toolbar. In the Insert Link dialog, click Browse... then navigate to the .mm file and click it. Press OK. When you save the Question and later preview it, you should see the MindMap at the same point where you created the link. The documentation has more to say about where to put the link, but you might start out by trying this simple experiment.
In reply to John Isner

by mauro mascia -
i've done as you said , but when i clic on it appear one download window asking if i want to download or open the *.mm file
In reply to mauro mascia

by mauro mascia -
i have a doubt... this system it is working with a map build with an freemind version 9?
i think the file it has be done with this version
In reply to mauro mascia

by John Isner -
It sounds like you need to activate the FreeMind filter:

Site administration -> Modules -> Filters -> open the "eye" next to FreeMind filter
In reply to John Isner

by mauro mascia -
i've found that one of the problem was that the java application cannot open a file made with freemind 0.9.
i've downloaded the freemindbrowser 0.9 , wich is inside the bin package , and installed it.
Now if i browse directly to the file it is working well , still when i use the filter i have wrong address.
In my server moodledata directory is before the web directory:

/iltkonline.org this is the site
/moodledata this is the files directory

maybe the filter look for the files directory in /iltkonline.org ?

thenks
In reply to mauro mascia

by mauro mascia -
step by step i fount always something new: in the resource's summary table i can see the mindmap. but when i click to the resource the file is non foundable

any help , please?
In reply to mauro mascia

by John Isner -
You need to put the .mm file in your course Files area (yellow folder icon in the Administration block). There is no need to create a Resource linking to the file (please note that the term "Resource" has special meaning in Moodle, and should not be used casually). When you insert the hyperlink in text, link to the file using the ed_link.gif button on your browser toolbar.

You should not be concerned about where the file is (yes, it is somewhere in the moodledata directory). The link that you paste using the ed_link.gif button should look something like this:

http://yoursite/file.php?file=/3/test.mm

and NOT like this:

http://mysite/mod/resource/view.php?id=31

If you still cannot solve the problem, please message me privately with an admin login to your site, and I will have a look.

Note about versions: Users are responsible for installing compatible versions of the FreeMind desktop application and applet ("freemindbrowser"). The Modules and plugins database only supplies the filter, which is designed to work with ANY version of the applet. For example, if you create a .mm file using version 0.8 of the FreeMind desktop application and you try to display it with version 0.9 of the applet, you may have problems.

In reply to John Isner

by unformatted :) -
I love mind maps! Thanks for this filter smile

I´m using moodle 1.9 is that compatible?
In reply to unformatted :)

by John Isner -
It will work with any version of Moodle. Please refer to the Fremind filter article in the documentation wiki for installation instructions and how to incorporate a MindMap using the filter.
In reply to unformatted :)

by Johnathan Kemp -
I have just been testing Moodle 1.9beta 4 with the freemind filter and browser.
For creating mind maps I have been using Freemind 0.8. However when I tried to use the maps in Moodle I could not get them to display. Java would start to load and then I would get a rectangle with a cross displayed at the top left corner.

The cause turned out to be a java issue. The Freemind 0.8 browser would not work with java 6 which we have on our browsers. I have downloaded Freemind 0.9.15 beta and run a few tests with this.

Installing the 0.9 browser on Moodle appears to have resolved our problems with opening mind maps in Moodle. This includes mind maps created in version 0.8. I must stress that these tests have been limited and the maps I am using do not contain graphics, so I don't know if any issues will result from using graphics in your mind maps.

As the documentation for Freemind 0.9 suggests there could be situations in which 0.9 created maps would not be compatible with 0.8 I will probably continue creating maps in 0.8 for now, but use the 0.9 browser to display them in Moodle.

Hope this information proves helpful to someone.

Kind regards

Johnathan
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Johnathan Kemp

by Vincent Short -
hi
this was very useful to us thanks !

however it only works the first time :/

i.e. first time you click on the link the applet opens and the map is available folds/unfolds perfect smile

however if you close the map and re-open it you just get a blanl applet

any ideas ?

v
here is a screen shot
the mode changed to browser is in the applet Ma carte is the title of the map ;/

Attachment 2ndlook_minmap.jpg
In reply to Vincent Short

by Andy Tagliani -
Vincent i had this problem one time, some weeks ago. The problem was the freemind browser. If i copy another version of the freemind browser, everything goes fine!

I copy from the last freemind version 0.9beta16 the files
- freemindbrowser.html
- freemindbrowser.jar
- freemindbrowser.xhtml

on my server and the freemind filter works without any problems! And clear the cache of the browser, the java cache, this is always the first way to handle a problems with the filters.
Andy

by Chris Witham -
I have solved my early problem regarding the filter working in quizzes but not in a web page resource.

When linking to the map through the browse feature you must specify a title for the map. Even if you just put map as the title it will work. When I don't specify a title the filter does not convert the link and I just see the original text.

by Vincent Short -
Hi Andy
thanks for this

i think i am on the same version but will check tonight
my day -job is keeping me too busy mixed

i had cleared the cache(s) thanksblush
v

In reply to John Isner

freemind filter (flash based)

by Johannes Albert -
Hi everyone,

I've just created a filter for the flash-based version of the freemind-browser. It can display multiple Mindmaps per page and supports inline-images. Like the applet-based browser you can specify parameters by appending them (separated by whitespaces) to the filename. This is not limited to "width/height", which means you can add any supported parameter (for a full list have a look at the sample file that comes with freeMindFlashBrowser.zip).

Installation of the freemind-flashbrowser package:
  1. Create a new directory $CFG->dirroot/filter/freemind (where $CFG->dirroot is your "moodle" directory, as defined in config.php)
  2. Download the latest version of the freemind-flashbrowser package from here
  3. Unzip the contained files "flashobject.js" and "visorFreemind.swf" into the newly-created directory
Installation of the freemind-flashbrowser filter:
  1. Download the freemind-flashbrowser filter (see attached file "filter.php")
  2. Put "filter.php" in $CFG->dirroot/filter/freemind

Suggestion:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to create some sort of flash/java-autodetection, which loads either the applet or the swf. Otherwise we could just put applet.filter.php and flash.filter.php inside the FreeMind filter package and let the administrator decide which file to rename. Tell me what you think. smile

Greetings from Bavaria

Johannes A. Albert

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Johannes Albert

Re: freemind filter (flash based)

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Johannes

Work perfect! I pick up one of your last comment

Otherwise we could just put applet.filter.php and flash.filter.php inside the FreeMind filter package and let the administrator decide which file to rename. Tell me what you think.

thats a good idea, best pratice anyone find a solution for a automatic detect or what i mean, a way to work both filter files in the folder /filter/freemind and the filter knows its a mm or a swf file from the file extension.

Tkans for sharing with us
Servus nach Bayern
Andy

by Johnathan Kemp -
Hello Johannes,

I have been having a play with your filter for the flash browser and I think it's brilliant.

I have now tried it on Moodle 1.8 and 1.9 and on Firefox 2.0.0.3, IE6 and IE7.
It works well on IE6 and Firefox.

However on IE7 with Flash 9e the plugin detection is indicating that "Flash plugin or Javascript is turned off. Activate both and reload to view the mindmap". Yet the flash player is installed and javascript is enabled.

Can you suggest any way of overcoming this. I have 300 users all with the same browser configuration so I need to find a way around this problem.

Kind regards

Johnathan

by Johnathan Kemp -

Hello everyone,

Following problems with browser versions I have combined the code for the Flash and the Java filters into one filter.php file.

As my problem relates to the browser the user is using I have added a simple test to identify if the browser is IE7 or not. If it is IE7 then the code from the Java filter is used, otherwise the code from the flash filter is used. The supporting files for the flash and java filtering (flashobject.js, freemindbrowser.jar and visorFreemind.swf ) appear to coexist happily in the moodle/filter/freemind folder.

However I have hit a caching problem. If I open the page with the mindmap link in Firefox, the flash player is called. If I then open it in IE7 the flash player is called because the results from the first request have been cached. Conversely if the first access is IE7 then the java applet is called and when I then open in firefox the java applet is called rather than the flash. If I wait a while everything resets so the correct filter is called again.

At present I have Cache settings all at default values

Cache Type = None, Record Cache = No, Record Cache TTL = 10 and Int. cache max = 10. I have disabled APC

Has anyone any ideas as to how I can stop this cacheing?

Kind regards

Johnathan

by John White -
Johannes,

I too have been having fun with the Flash version or the Freemind filter! big grin I'ts very useful, and I had no trouble implementing it. You need only copy your filter.php into /filter/freemind, and copy flashfreemind.css, flashobject.js and visorFreemind.swf to the same folder, enable the filter and it works like a dream!

I also agree that having both the Java applet and Flash versions with a choice for the administrator would be clever, but I have to say I have had terrible trouble trying to get the Java version to work! The .mm file is found, but the applet won't open. I now understand that this is to do with the Freemind file being produced in a version of the Application not compatible (or not matching) the browser applet version. I have still not sorted that one out! So I was even more amazed as to how smoothly the Flash version went.

However, I CANNOT manage to get the 'height' to pass as a parameter to the applet. If I hack the filter.php and change the default height value to read:

$height = '500px'

...then sure enough the Topic box expands to accommodate all or most of my Mindmap. But if I put height = "500px" or height = "500" in the <a href...> then nothing happens. A check on the page source code reveals the default 100% value.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by John White -
Whoops! blush

Stupid me!
I've been trying to make the anchor 500 px high, not passing height=500 as a parameter to the Flash object within the href!

href="http://<site>/file.php/<path>/<mapfile>.mm height=500"

...works perfectly as indeed John Isner said in his post on the Java version back on 4 July 2007.

I really must not ask stupid questions!

John

by Johannes Albert -
Hi again,

thanks for your feedback and the bug reports. I tried to upgrade from IE6 to IE7 (to reproduce the errors) and in doing so crashed my whole Windows installation. Took me some weeks to reinstall everything... wütend
But at least I discovered some strange IE7-behavior regarding multiple freemind applets per page. I decided to merge the java- and the flash-based version and well, here it is: filter_freemind-latest.zip
The new version comes with an administration interface where you can select which MindMap-browser to use. There's also the possibility to auto-detect the client's flash-/java-capabilities and deliver the corresponding browser. As this functionality required some 3rd party code, I decided to bundle everything (including the browsers) in one single package to prevent the installation from getting to complicated.

Please let me know if it works with your Moodle-Installation. The Moodle-version and your client's configuration (operating system, web-browser, flash- and java-version etc.) would be very useful for me.

Grüße,
Johannes

by John White -
Hi Johannes,

Thanks for moving us forward on this combined filter. Although my private opinion is that with Flash 8 (+) having at least a 95% browser coverage it seems almost extravagant to offer both versions.

But, am I right in thinking that your variable $freemindInstanceNr takes into account the flaw I revealed in my post to 'FreeMind Filter documentation and downloads' of Friday 16th May? Namely that IE and Safari browsers can't cope with two instances of the Flash player with the same name. I got this behaviour in IE6 and Safari 3.

Such instances all get regarded as one, so that subsequent Mindmaps each overwrite the first map declared. Really, it is MORE surprising that Firefox 2 & Netscape 8 actually cope with such a situation!

So is this problem now confined to history?

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by Johannes Albert -
Hi John,

here's what I've discovered: It seems as if IE/Safari can't distinguish between multiple java-browser instances, as long as these share the same "archive"-param. My quick 'n dirty workaround is to alter each declaration by adding a consecutive number: freemindbrowser.jar?1, freemindbrowser.jar?2, freemindbrowser.jar?3, etc... It's not very beautiful, but the only solution i could find. I suspect some carelessness in freemindbrowser.jar... wink

In the previous version of my filter, this incremented number was erroneous, because I hadn't taken into account that Moodle sometimes (eg. on the course-page) calls the filter-function multiple times per page. I've fixed it, so now $freemindInstanceNr should be really unique within every page.

Those non-unique ids led to the problem you had described earlier and which also affected the flash-browser. Some of the different div-containers got the same id (which, by the way, generated invalid xhtml) and the javascript-function which "fills" these containers couldn't distinguish between them anymore. Due to the strange multiple-applet-behavior mentioned before, I still don't feel fully confident regarding the flash-browser, so I would very much appreciate your feedback regarding IE6/Safari. Thanks! lächelnd

Greetings from Germany
Johannes

by Khepri Enoch -
Hi! I can't thank you enough for putting this together....excellent!

I'm using Moodle 1.9.0, Firefox 2.0..0.14, Java Plug-in 1.6.0_05, Flash 9.0 r115 and Freemind 8.0 with 7.1 browser...

For some reason I could not get the version from Sourceforge to work...this is how I found this conversation and your new filter...

It works great under the above..smile The mindmaps created with 8.0 that is...

One thing I noticed...the Java implementation is displaying the arrow that link between nodes in the map.....but the Flash one does not show them.

Did I miss some parameters I can set? Or does the flash version not have that ability? Bug maybe?

Any help appreaciated!

Thanks again!

by John White -
Hi Johannes,

Its been pointed out to me that there is a small snag with the Flash version of the filter (it may well also apply to its Java counterpart).

If you put two hyperlinks within the same topic description, one to a Mindmap, the other a .flv Flash video file, for example,
then the Mindmap doesn't appear.

Example code might be...

<table border="0">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td><a href="http://localhost:8888/moodle19/file.php/5/TTT_1.mm">Freemind needs flash</a></td>
<td><a href="http://localhost:8888/moodle19/file.php/5/MOD.flv">Other link</a></td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

This doesn't occur with twinning up other kinds of resource links...
I've just tested this with a .flv and a .sb file (the new Scratch filter you created).

I had not noticed this problem before because it does not occur when you put multiple resource links in different topics.

Regards,

John

In reply to John White

by Johannes Albert -
Can't reproduce it. gemischt
Which browser? Which Moodle-Version?

If it occures only with IE7, the reason (and solution) might be MDL-13368
If it also happens in FF, then could you please tell me if there are any errors/warning in the JavaScript-console? And give me a dump of the HTML-code?

Thx,
Johannes

by John White -
Johannes,

I'm not sure I can reproduce it now either!

I have moved from 1.9 to 1.9.1, but I doubt that's the reason.
Perhaps I'm just being a bit more patient about the time required to load the page if its littered with MindMaps and Scratchboards etc!

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by Ray Le Couteur -
Just to let you know that i've upgraded to Moodle 1.95+, Freemind 0.9RC4 (recent) and your version of the freemind filter still works fine!

However, many people will never find it as the 'latest' version on the Moodle plugin page is still dated 2007 - no indication of a later version.

Should't this entry be updated?

by Rob Johnson -
I am not sure if this thread is still active, but the link above to the combined filter is dead. I am hoping someone would post the file.

Thanks,

Rob

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Old thread I know, but I have just been playing around with freemind and the freemind filters here and in the database.

With the latest version of the browser (0.9.0 RC 6) I could not get the Java only version to run correctly, however the flash and Java version worked straight out of the box.

I have added a section to the doc page, FreeMind_filter#Freemind_Flash_Filter to point people towards the newer flash and Java version of the filter. I think it would be good if this newer version was to make its way into the database too.

Jon
In reply to John Isner

by caesar buie -
I am having trouble uploading the freemind filter. My homepage replies that the file cannot be read.

Is there a particular folder other than the "mod" folder that I should import the freemind php file into?
In reply to John Isner

by Greg de Vitry -
Hello,

We are trying to install and test this filter.

Moodle 1.8.7+

Moodle throws an error (or the applet does): 'Could not load map at URL:https://server/file.php/1160/New_Mindmap.mm

Then proceeds to end my session.

If I place the same file at the root https://server/New_Mindmap.mm and use the freemindbrowser.html file, it works fine.

Is our file.php getting involved with the file? Not downloading but displaying as text. Did I miss a MIME type setting/config somewhere?

Thanks,
Greg
In reply to John Isner

freemind filter UNAVAILABLE

by Juamba Cárcel -

Hi there,

I´ve followed all the points to download the Freemind filter (I did the FreeMind-browser, and I had no problems), but when I get to this page, i cannot download it, as it leads to a moodle called "MR Tutoring".

Where can i find the so called "(freemind-filter.zip)"??

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot!

Juamba

In reply to Juamba Cárcel

Re: freemind filter UNAVAILABLE

by Caroline Tartary -

Hello,

I have the same problem, the link is broken ! sad

Can anybody help ?

Thanks

In reply to Caroline Tartary

Re: freemind filter UNAVAILABLE

by Caroline Tartary -
In reply to Caroline Tartary

Installation

by Paul Raper -

I have just tried to install the freemind filter, but am not sure to be honest if I am getting the right result here. I have Moodle 2.2, and around the filter name I have double square brackets. Is something not right there?

Paul