Allowing students to send bulk messages

Allowing students to send bulk messages

by Sandra Reitz -
Number of replies: 4
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is a "messaging" or a "roles" problem, so I'm choosing "general" wink.

I'm using moodle Moodle 1.8 + (2007021503), php 4.4.4 and MySQL.

I want to allow my students to send bulk messages. They requested that as it would be really useful for their group work. In the "override roles" section, I found the field "Send a message to many people moodle/course:bulkmessaging" which I thought would do.

Logging on with my test user, I noticed I can now select users, but the drop-down menu does not show the entry "Add/Send message" - in fact, it shows nothing execpt the default dummny "With selected users".

Any idea what other roles I might need to override? Or any other suggestions?

Thx
Sandra
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sandra Reitz

Re: Allowing students to send bulk messages

by John Isner -
Here's how to do it using roles, but please don't ask me to explain (I can't).

Create a role CanSendToAll and give it the following permissions:
  • moodle/course:bulkmessaging
  • moodle/site:readallmessages
Assign the role to your student in the course context.

I have no idea why the second capability is needed, but it is. It will be interesting to see what new and dangerous powers your students discover smile
In reply to John Isner

by Sandra Reitz -
Thanks a lot!
For now, I used the role override, which worked fine with the additional override. So far, I couldn't find any "new and dangerous powers" wink because of the second override. I believe they would need access to logfiles to actually be able to read all messages - which they don't have, fortunately.

I'll look into the quickmail block, but for now, I preferred not to mess around too much with my working system - but the attachment and history functions look really nice.
In reply to John Isner

by Shin Okada -

I am not able to find "moodle/site:readallmessages ". Where can I find it?

I have another problem. I wonder if you can help me.

I am trying to give permission to send bulk messages to all the teachers, so I went to the following and clicked the tab call "Allow role Assignment" and "Allow role overides". 

Administration Users Permissions Define roles