Restore removes titles from all activities and resources

Restore removes titles from all activities and resources

by Jay Pfaffman -
Number of replies: 14
I upgraded to 1.8 today. All seems fine. I restored a course and it has no titles for any activity or resource. If I turn editing on to edit them I get

The required instance of this module doesn't exist

The last line in the restore page is "Creating blocks" it never says anything like "Done."

http://moodle.occ.utk.edu/course/edit.php?id=50 is an example of one of the bad restores. I restored numerous times with varying whether to restore student data. Oh, and I backed the course up with 1.8 and then tried restoring, thinking that maybe I couldn't restore my 1.7 course with 1.8.

The other courses are fine. I can create new assignments in the bad course.

I've got a few weeks before summer school starts. . .

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jay Pfaffman

Re: Restore removes titles from all activities and resources

by Jay Pfaffman -
My problem was that I had installed the "Planning" module and it is incompatible with Moodle 1.8. When I looked at the Modules page it said that the module was incompatible. I deleted the module and then the course restored correctly (though I'm still confused about why all of the titles from one type (like Label) were also listed in another (I think it was SCORM?!).

It might be worthwhile to put the code that is in the Module page in the upgrade code so that it gets pointed out there. (OTOH, perhaps it was there and I ignored it).

I'd still like an easier way to adjust due dates of all of the assignments in a course (though it appears that restoring a course now allows changing the start date and adjusts due-dates accordingly.
In reply to Jay Pfaffman

by Vickel Narayan -
Hi Jay

In my case I dont have any compatiblitiy issues, I started from 1.8.X went down to 1.7.X and now I am on 1.6.X and I still have the same problem.

We are currenly running 1.5.4. Could it be something on the server, I had problems with 1.8 questionnaire module and later found out that some of the codes were not compatible with php5????
In reply to Jay Pfaffman

by Heather Barton -

Hi Jay,

Were you able to find a solution or workaround?  I'm having the same issue with the "labels" not being displayed and clicking on edit for the activity results in "the required instance of this module doesn't exist".  I backed up the course in 1.7.2 then tried restoring to 1.8 and 1.72 with no success.

Thanks

In reply to Heather Barton

by Vickel Narayan -
Hi Heather

I solved my problem, it turned out that I had an Appointment module installed along with my installation, I removed it and it worked.

Suggestion check if you have any third party modules (non-standard modules) installed and if you have remove them and you should be fine.

Check on the moodle website what are the standard modules. Refer http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category:Modules_(non-standard).

Thanks
In reply to Vickel Narayan

by Heather Barton -

Thank you for your response Vickel,

I will double check to ensure that I hadn't installed any 3rd party modules... I don't think so though.

One thing I did do was change the files in /lang/ to display "test" instead of "quiz" .. maybe if I apply those changes to the new v1.8 I installed it may be okay...

I'll take a look at the modules first though,

Thanks,

by Vickel Narayan -
Hi Heather

The change you have made should not be the problem.

I spent about 2 days looking for what could have caused the problem in my case and while doing something I noted that I had a nonstandard module installed. If I am correct then the problem is related to something in the way data is stored in the nonstandard modules hence when upgrading these data are not changed for 1.8 compatibility.

If possible post a list of all the modules you have installed on your moodle site.

Thanks

by Heather Barton -

HI Vickel,

I really appreciate your help on this.. I'm sure I didn't install any extra mods, the mods I have in v1.7.2 (where I source backup of the course with tests isfrom):

assignment chat choice data forum glossary hotpot journal label lams lesson quiz resource scorm survey wiki workshop

The questions/categories import just not the test. 

Thank you for your direction on this,

Heather

by Vickel Narayan -
Hi Heather

Is the data above supposed to be database? And is LAMS moduke visible or hided?

Thanks

by Heather Barton -

Hi Vickel,

Yes, data is database and LAMS, Journal and Hot potatoes are hidden. 

Instead of typing out the list  of folders in /mods/ I selected the column from the database when I was sure that it matched the folders in /mods/.

Thank you,

Heather

by Heather Barton -

I just realized that the restore for 2 courses never completes past "course restore", there was not an error message either.

I have restored a "test" course with a quiz, but am unsure why my existing courses cannot be restored and it fails.  I will look to see if there are any posts on what would cause the restore to not complete.

Thank you for your assistance,

Heather

by Heather Barton -
Well I have some success, I can backup and restore only the quizzes, with no data and that works.

I'm not sure why it seems to fail when I try to restore with test results.

Part way there I guess, at least I have the tests now,

thanks and maybe this will help someone else
In reply to Jay Pfaffman

by Paul F -
Could this be Unicode related?
In reply to Paul F

by Heather Barton -

Thanks Paul,

Ahhhh... one db is utf8_general_ci and the other is utf8_unicode_ci

so that might be it...

cool

Heather

In reply to Jay Pfaffman

by Kenneth Mentor -
Has anyone found a solution to this one? I am running 1.8.2, with no non-standard modules. When I attempt to restore a working course as a new course, the process hangs at the creation of scales. The new course is there, but titles are gone and blocks on left and right are gone.

Paul asked if this could be unicode related and I suspect this may be the problem. I ran the conversion program prior to installation. Using MySQL, the charset is listed as utf_general_ci, but each file still lists latin1_swedish_ci collation.