Backup 1.6.5 and restore to new upgarded 1.8.2 server.

Backup 1.6.5 and restore to new upgarded 1.8.2 server.

by Peter Easton -
Number of replies: 1
Hi All,
Here's my dilemma:
I'm running a 1.6.5 moodle server with approx 5000 courses in it.
I'm trying to figure out the best method of moving all the courses to the new 1.8.2 server. I've tried to backup all the courses but discovered that the backup schedule built into moodle doesn't work anymore. What can I do.....

do i:
1. create a new duplicate of my 1.6.5 installation and upgrade it to 1.8.2 the migrate to the new server.

2. i back up the classes one at a time and move them that way?(not looking forward to this)

3. any other ideas?

thanks in advance for your help.

BTW: i've been searching through the forums but know one seems to be able to get this working.

Pete
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Easton

Re: Backup 1.6.5 and restore to new upgarded 1.8.2 server.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Pete - As long as you have a good backup of your database (primarily) and Moodle Storage (secondarily) I would certainly go with option 1. Take what you have and upgrade it. Most of the problems have been with 3rd party plugins like questionnaire, feedback, and other modules or blocks. As long as you have the 1.8 version of those modules or blocks you should not experience too much trouble. I would give it a shot on your test server (with production data) and see what happens. Let me know if you run into difficulty. Peace - Anthony