Specs on a 125 users Moodle platform. (Need info please)

Specs on a 125 users Moodle platform. (Need info please)

by Mauro Ramón -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everyone. I want to ask  for help on some issues related to a Moodle platform that  should handle about 125 students (maximal users), 25 teachers, and perhaps 25 students+20 teachers the same time (I read somewhere that´s the peak charge).

The info I need is about technical specs that we need to know for a host service, so that it delivers a proper perfomance to the course, (and I mean disk space needed, monthly bandwith, mail accounts, and maybe connection type [T1, T2, or connection speed if you prefer).

None of the host services in this country - at least the two or three that I´ve asked- have direct support on a Moodle platform. Besides that, before writing this, I had read some articles on this course about machines configurations and platform demands (that golden rule of 4 gigs RAM on server, for example...), but there´re always related to which kind of server people need to buy/construct to work INSIDE their projects, and certainly this is not that scenario...
So if someone has hosted a Moodle with an external provider, and has experienced with that for a while - and I mean with students and teachers- , please share their impressions, even though it´s not the exact config I mentioned here. I think that knowing about each other´s experiences will help everybody, to have some idea of the kind of configuration I´m asking for.

Thanks a lot.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mauro Ramón

Re: Specs on a 125 users Moodle platform. (Need info please)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Your number of users are really not high, that is unless your 25 students do not take an online test (quiz module) simultanously!

Check this thread and follow threads mentioned there http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=61898

Basically you have the following alternatives:
1. a mass hoster - they usually expect static HTML pages and Moodle is a lot more heavier. Plus the configuration may not suit Moodle (memory limits, etc.)

2. mass hosting services who have built-in Moodle. Easy to install, the configuration should be OK. Performance is still a question.

3. People specializing in Moodle, for example Moodle partners. Being not mass services, logically they can't be cheap. I guess you have least trouble with this solution.

4. Your own root server or virtual host at some remote privider. You get lot of brute power for your money. Need some know-how and more time and responsibilty.

5. Your own machine in school premises. Same as 4. Makes sense if you school has a weak internet connection and most of the heavy use is within the school.

In my openion investing on 4 & 5 will pay out in the long run, assuming you are going to use Moodle a couple of years. Our campus eLearning group is supporting such a move right now http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=64984

These topics are continuously discussed hier. Read the old threads first.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mauro Ramón -

Thanks a Los Visvanath... I´ve never thank you, but better late than never. Yes?

Thanks a lot, I help translating a thread from a Venezuela teacher, but suggest him to get some translator near him to do the spanish 2 english job.

Bye and thanks a lot, again.

In reply to Mauro Ramón

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Mauro

That wasn't big deal, just a digest of previous discussions.

BTW about the Spanish problem: It wouldn't have happend in the first place if decades ago I took my Spanish lessons more seriously. sad