Adding "close attempt" option for teachers

Adding "close attempt" option for teachers

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Number of replies: 7
Hello,

A teacher can delete attempts, but how hard would it be to give teachers the "close attempt" option, so they can force the submission of a student attempt.

In our institution we use Moodle for traditional exams, so students go to labs and instead of paper they use Moodle. So, from time to time teachers find students cheating and they would love to close attempts for these students.

Our teachers for online courses, they have also requested this feature as several students left attempts open. They must be closed before grading.

Eduardo
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

Re: Adding "close attempt" option for teachers

by Cristina Berisso -

Hello everyone,

I am now in a similar situation. Some of my students have left "open" a bunch of quizzes and I would like to force their submissions, so at least I can give them partial credit for the partial work they have done. Is there a way to do such?

If I delete their attempts I end up given a zero for the quiz, instead of the partial credit for the partial work done. Any ideas on how to work around this?

Thank you very much for any suggestion.

Cristina

In reply to Cristina Berisso

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Cristina - The only workaround I can think of is to login as the student and close the attempt. I think this would make a good feature request. I will check the tracker and if one does not exist I will create one. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Anthony -> The only workaround I can think of is to login as the student and close the attempt.

Yes, I used to do that until recently when our admin decided not to give teachers the capabability to login as student (for confidentiality reasons). So now I can't do anything to solve this problem of unfinished quizzes. I have voted for MDL-3030 and do hope Tim will be able to do something about it.

Joseph

In reply to Cristina Berisso

by Peter Evans -

Did anyone find a solution to this problem of students leaving a quiz "open"

How can the teacher close the quiz so it can be graded.

Peter

In reply to Peter Evans

by Sigurdur Smarason -
FYI, I've posted a possible manual solution for 1.9 that works on per quiz basis. See here for details: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=118343
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sigurdur Smarason

by K P -

That worked for me, but I have a different problem than students forgetting not to submit.  Our situation is that we assign several tasks for students to complete at their leisure, which means the "close date" is a week or so away.  We don't want the students to go into the quiz, answer some questions, then save the attempt in order to come back later after looking up the rest of the questions.  I would like the ability to set on a quiz by quiz basis an option to deny them to save their attempt AND auto submit after X period of time.

I toyed with the option to only show one question at a time, but there is no way to allow a student to go back and fix an answer during the same attempt, but keep them from changing answers if they continue the attempt later.