Location of Backup Files

Location of Backup Files

by Marlene Waite -
Number of replies: 10
I cannot seem to locate the backup files (or folders) on the server.

Where do I find these folders/files?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marlene Waite

Re: Location of Backup Files

by John Isner -
To find the backup file for a course, go to the front page of that course, click Administration->Files, and look for a folder named backupdata. The backup file for the course should be found in that folder.

If you don't see a backupdata folder, or if the folder is empty, then backups are not being made. A course backup can be made manually by clicking "backup" in the Administration block of any course, or it can be made automatically at scheduled intervals by setting up a cron job (only the administrator can do this).

Every course will have its own backupdata folder. So, for example, if you have ten courses on your site, you'll find ten backupdata folders, one in each course. Each folder will contain one or more backup files.
In reply to John Isner

by Marlene Waite -
Thankyou John,

I do see these files from within Moodle.

I do not see these folders/files on my server when I log directly into the machine's file system.

On the server inside the Moodle folder there is a folder "course" but it only contains the folders "format", "import", and "report". No "backup" folders have been created.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

by John Isner -
When you log onto the server (using ssh or ftp), you will find the course files under the moodledata directory. Under moodledata, there will be a numbered directory for each of your courses. The backup file for course 2 will be in moodledata/2/backupdata, and so-on.
In reply to John Isner

by Marlene Waite -
I finally figured out how to download a backup (zip) file to my local machine.

How do I use this zip file to build a new course.

It seems I can only get to the "Upload" functionality inside the class "Restore" process. To get there the class must already exist.

Can anyone clarify this process?

by John Isner -
If you have administrator privileges (you didn't make this clear), then go to the Administration block of the front page of your site and click the Restore link. This will take you into the backupdata folder of course number 1 (the front page course). Upload your zip file, then click the Restore link to the right of the file name. You will be asked if you want to (a) create a new course or (b) merge the backup with an existing course. Tell it to create a new course.

If you do not have administrator privileges, you must ask your administrator to do this for you.
In reply to John Isner

by Marlene Waite -
Thank you

Now I see how it works.

Am I missing something or does documentation exist somewhere on this site to answer these basic questions?

(So far, all I've found points to these forums.)

TIA
Marlene

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Marlene!

There is documentation. It is a link on the left hand side (close to the top) on the front page of moodle.
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Main_Page

My experience is that the forums usually have details or discussion of the information. When someone feels it is the right time, they can go put the information in the docs wiki! Did you look there? Or did you mean that the documentation wiki still did not answer your questions?

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Marlene Waite -
Hi again!

I have gone through the WIKI but the content was vague. (At least I did not find the exact instructions that you gave me)

I'll dig through it some more and make sure I'm not missing something.

thanks again for your help
Marlene

by ahmad zikrilah -
guys, i'm trying to re-located the path of my backup data to another server, example, the original path was in c:\moodlebackup , i want to change it into another server,is it possible ?? thanks... i really need your help...smile