Downloading a Backup my Course to my own Computer

Downloading a Backup my Course to my own Computer

by Arlo Speer -
Number of replies: 5

As a relatively new administrator, I'm managing to master most of the ongoing tasks associated with operating Moodle.  Although about a year ago, I successfully saved a back-up copy of my course on my own computer, I've totally forgotten how to do that ... and can't find the process anywhere.

Can anyone please point me to where I can find out how to save a back-up copy of an existing course on my personal computer.  My plan is to upload it again at a point in the future, probably onto a different server.

Thanx

Arlo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Arlo Speer

Re: Downloading a Backup my Course to my own Computer

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Arlo!

Backup:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_backup

Restore:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Restore

I hope this is what you were looking for! (Remember, if the course archive is larger than the maximum upload size, you might have to upload it directly to the appropriate folder in moodledata rather than using the moodle web interface.)

atw

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Arlo Speer -

Thanx ... the backup process does work for me; however, I'm looking for a way to save the back-up file on my own computer, rather than storing it on the Moodle server itself.  I'm planning to transfer the course from one host system to another and wish to retain a safe backup copy on my own computer, just in case things get lost.

The last time I saved a course on my own computer it was really simple ... and just a slight twist on the backup process.   I'm still missing the one step that'll put the backup copy on my own PC, rather than save it on the Moodle site.

Arlo

In reply to Arlo Speer

by A. T. Wyatt -
Maybe I am stupid, but I usually right click the link to the archive (found in course files, backupdata) and download it. Or you can download it directly from the server, if you have access.

I don't know of any way to make the automatic backups download directly to your own PC. You can, of course, specify the directory that moodle uses to back up courses (or set them to back up within each course folder in moodledata), but AFAIK those backups always reside somewhere on the server.

If you figure it out, maybe we would all like to know how to do it! smile

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Arlo Speer -

No, it's not you who is the stupid one.  I kept looking for some sort of "save to" or "save as" or "copy to" instruction within Moodle.  I have no idea why I never thought of simply right-clicking on the file name and looking for the "save target as..." option.

I wasn't after any automatic process ... just a way of getting the back-up files onto my own computer for when I switch Moodle hosts.

Your "I usually right click the link" comment sparked the light I needed.  Thank you.   Success all around, the file is on my own computer awaiting its next move to its new home.

Thanks so much

Arlo (notice the change in colour to red, to match my face!)

In reply to Arlo Speer

by A. T. Wyatt -
Hey, don't feel bad. I think you are right--a "button" or something that says download might be a very good idea! I have certainly had faculty members with the same question.

It would be cool if we could set up some kind of automatic local backup as well. But that might be hard to do!

atw