by Ghassan Geara -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Tim,

In the Results -> Overview: there is a drop-down menu that shows:

1- Show students with attempts only
2- Show students with no attempts only
3- Show all students 
4- Show all attempts

What is the difference between option 1 and 4?

In my quiz, i have "15 Students have made 19 attempts" and i see the same list in both options.

Thanks for the great job, especially the Essay question!

Ghassan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ghassan Geara

Re: New results options - need explanation.

by Dr S Bhatia -
Tim hunt is the authority on this.

I am just guessing.

is it possible that option one shows students with attempts but, if, your quiz has been taken by a guest with a key then the guest will not be in student list but will be there in attempts.

of this works only if u have that function enabled.(i still say i am guessing)

OR

maybe the list of attempts will maintain the data of older students who have now been unenrolled.

both are pure conjectures.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The difference between 1 and 4 is if only half your class have attempted the quiz.

A trickier question is the difference between 3 and 4, and I don't really know what the answer is.

Oh, and I can't take any credit for the Essay question, that was other people's work before I appeared on the scene.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ghassan Geara -

The difference between 1 and 4 is if only half your class have attempted the quiz.

=> I don't think so. In both cases (1 and 4), you'll only see only those who attempted the quiz. Option 4 is much more tricky.

A trickier question is the difference between 3 and 4, and I don't really know what the answer is.

=> If you can tell the difference between 3 and 4, i'll guess the difference btw 1 and 4 and vice versa! wink

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim > A trickier question is the difference between 3 and 4, and I don't really know what the answer is.

Got it! This is the beginning of a new "academic season" and I've just removed all of last year's students from my Moodle courses, before enrolling a new batch. Now, when I go to Quiz results, if I click on options #1, #2 or #3, no result is returned, because there are no enrolled students. However, if I click on option #4 Show all attempts I can see all the attempts by the former students in that course.

Yes, Jean-Michel you were right (If I remember well it has something to do with "unenrolled students" ??).

By the way, this option is necessary in order to remove all of those attempts by unenrolled students if you want to Edit your quiz for a new batch of students.  However, deleting attempts by un-enrolled students does work, but triggers this error message:

Could not find any user attempts
Warning: array_keys() [function.array-keys]: The first argument should be an array in ...\moodle\lib\questionlib.php on line 322
Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Bad arguments. in ...\moodle\lib\questionlib.php on line 322
Nothing to display

Joseph

by Jean-Michel Védrine -
Option 1- "Show students with attempts only" mean that you will not see students that din't yet attempted this quiz but are enrolled in that course (the query contains AND qa.userid IS NOT NULL so to make the left join ask for only records where the right is not null)
Option 2- "Show students with no attempts only" mean that you will only see students that are enrolled in that course but didn't attempted this quiz (useful for instance to remember them to attempt it before closing date and time) (the query contains AND qa.userid IS NULL so to make the left join ask for only records where the right is null)
Option 3- "Show all students" mean that you will get a list of all students in the course with all their attempts so we can say that option 3 is Option 1 + Option 2 (the query is exactly the same minus the condition on qa.userid so that we get all records)
Option 4- "Show all attempts" is not very clear to me and looking at the sql query in the code doesn't help a lot. I will try to provide a clear answer after some tests.
If I remember well it has something to do with "unenrolled students" ??
Also the sql queries have been changed to improve performances on very big Moodle sites so please report in the bug tracker if you don't get what you expected