MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Dan Stowell -
Number of replies: 142
I've been dabbling with the possibility of creating a tool which can allow people to record and upload voice messages. It's now in a state where it does seem to work, although it's still very much rough around the edges.

It's in contrib CVS under the folder "moodlespeex". It provides two Java applets (a player and a recorder), and modifications to Moodle forums to allow a forum to be put into "audio mode" allowing a kind of voice-message based conversation. (NB It works by audio file uploads, so it *can't* do skype-like live conversation.)

I'm not recommending this for real-world use at the moment, but please do try it out on your dev installations if you're interested.

Any Java coders out there? I know Moodle isn't typically a place for Java coders but improving the Java applets is the only way to get this working really nicely.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Martín Langhoff -
Interesting! Other than Java applets and Flash movies, there isn't any reasonable cross-platform other browser-based tech that can record audio, right? How cross-platform is the mic support?
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Dan Stowell -
> Other than Java applets and Flash movies, there isn't any reasonable
> cross-platform other browser-based tech that can record audio, right?

That's right.

> How cross-platform is the mic support?

It's as cross-platform as Java is, AFAIK, since it uses very generic calls to JavaSound's audio interface.

I haven't tested on linux or others but it works on unprepared windows/macs without a hitch (as long as the browser has java plugin, of course). It uses the audio input selected by the user (i.e. from the volume control tool in windows, or the system preferences 'sound' panel on Mac).
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Colin McQueen -
This worked for me. An excellent addition that really could do with being standard across Moodle activities/resources.  A couple of "brainstormy" questions/suggestions:-
  • I was wondering if it might be useful to have a tiny player appear in the title when viewing the overview of a forum so you don't have to open the post to listen.
  • Would it be sensible to create a block for recording into a folder in the Files area. This way recordings could be used easily across a couirse in quizzes, wikis etc. Rather than having specific table fields and altered forms in each of these activities.
  • How about a resource type that opens up the recorder?
Thanks for this.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Michael C -

Is anyone hosting on Yahoo Business?

This is where my site is hosted, they say that Java is loaded and running yet I can't get the recorder or player to appear.  I had to manually edit all the files with no problems.

I get a message at the bottom that says error loading applet.

Any ideas?

In reply to Dan Stowell

MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool - v0.2

by Dan Stowell -
I've updated the MoodleSpeex tool following some interesting discussions at the MoodleMoot. It's still got some rough edges but some useful recent improvements:

1) An architectural change means that now it can record audio files of arbitrary length (it doesn't yet know how to handle Moodle's file upload limits properly though - if the file falls foul of the upload limit it simply won't be uploaded).

2) Progress bar displays the progress of the compression process

3) A patch is now included to enable audio file recording directly in to the "Files" view (for a course or for the site)
In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool - v0.2

by Art Lader -

Sounds great, Dan. I will give it a spin and let you know how it goes for me.

For anyone who wants it, here is a link to contrib - http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/contrib/moodlespeex/

Any chance you could post a zip file, Dan?

Thanks,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool - v0.2

by Dan Stowell -
Yes, there's a zip file automatically generated every night. URL:

http://download.moodle.org/download.php/modules/moodlespeex.zip

In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: MoodleSpeex - how to integrate this in Glossary?

by J. Chan -

Hi Dan

This is a great contribution. I've installed it and it is working great as a oral tool in our pronunciation course.

I would like to see if it is possible to integrate it into the Glossary module. I think it is quite useful in the method of vocabulary-teaching . You can also find similar discussions here.

Besides, the feedback function in the "forum" looks quite similar to the "comments" in "glossary" mode, so I hope it would not be too troublesome to hack the files, wouldn't it?

Just a suggestion ONLY.

Thanks

James

In reply to J. Chan

Re: MoodleSpeex - how to integrate this in Glossary?

by Dan Stowell -
Thanks James, for the suggestion. I'm no longer employed as a Moodley developer so I can't put much time into developing extras like that. But if other people develop additional code for using MoodleSpeex, I'd be very glad to see it.

The glossary tool will eventually become a 'subset' of the database tool, so perhaps the most appropriate thing to do is to develop a MoodleSpeex 'field type' for that.
In reply to Dan Stowell

Unable to download MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool - v0.2

by Mamta k. -

Please help.

I am failed to download this tool, seems it's not available on the specified url. If you have a copy of it, kindly forward it to me.

Thanks in advance!

-Mamta

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dan, Martin, and Colin,

Just noticed this interesting thread on voice recording.  Over in Moodle for Language Teaching, we have three related discussions and demos...
  1. topic on Voice Applications (discussion on Gong/Moodle most relevent)
  2. thread on Speaking Skills (see free recording tools, etc.)
  3. demo of recent Gong/Moodle Integration (see top *New* link)
In the Gong program (which needs an Apache Tomcat or other Java server), you can do very clear and easy threaded voice boards and recordings as a Moodle activity module.  I wonder how theirs and yours compare?  Also, I wonder if there is any way to avoid having to install a Java server--a significant barrier to most Moodle teachers/users.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Tony Hursh -
It sounds like Dan's approach is using client-side Java applets only, so wouldn't need a Java server. Dan, is that right?

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Dan Stowell -
That's right.

That's why I decided to go for this approach - I've seen messages about a couple of projects (Gong, Covcell) which implement separate audio servers, and they generally have (or aim for) more advanced functionality than my applets do. However, my MoodleSpeex applets require absolutely no extra stuff on the server side, which I think may be an advantage for various situations (e.g. using hosted moodle).
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Don Hinkelman -
>>MoodleSpeex applets require absolutely no extra stuff on the server side...

Yes, Dan, you are right that any simple solution for the 90% of moodle users who could never implement a separate audio server will be attracted to your program.  I am very happy to hear about it.  Thanks for posting over in the Voice Applications forum.

I am also curious to know more.  Some questions...
  1. Do you have to record separately and then upload?  Is there any way to record/post directly into a forum?  
  2. Can I use both your applet(s) at the same time as a Gong board?
  3. Why is a separate audio server necessary for these more extensive applications?

by Dan Stowell -
1. Yes, it's record-and-then-upload. But the applet makes it a simple process. It's not like (for example) having to record in a separate piece of software and then locate the file on your hard drive. So I think for users it's almost like recording directly to the server, except for the short wait while the recording is compressed/uploaded. (See also answer 3.)

2. Yes, I'm sure you can. Never tried it though.

3. Because they enable things like audio conferencing and streaming upload, which isn't possible over a normal HTTP webserver (e.g. Apache) without a lot of hacky fiddling.

by Timothy Takemoto -
There is also dimdim which does synchronous voice chat.
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Tim,

If you have time, could you give a review, either here or in Voice Applications about the merits/issues of all three of these choices?
  1. MoodleSpeex
  2. Gong/Moodle
  3. Dimdim
  4. Others?
I will try to install one or more this month depending on which one(s) seem to have the most promise.

by Bill White -

Hi Don and All,

I decided to step up to the challenge of reviewing these Voice Apps and giving my reactions to everyone. I am a teacher who also has a bit of tech skills, some old and some new, and who likes to challenge myself.

So here goes my opinion, your mileage may vary so don't take me to task over it.

1.  MoodleSpeex:

Initially I had some trouble installing but worked it out. It does what it is supposed to do and quite well. The UI is very simple and easy to understand. This is Java based so the students need to have Java installed on their PCs, but most already have this installed. No need to install anything but the MoodleSpeex on your server, and you can even do all the configurations on you local PC then upload to the server. This will be more than enough for most teachers and students. It doesn't do real time streaming or conferencing. It is more of a static audio board but I use Skype for conferencing with students outside of classes. Still needs a little polishing but has a good future.

2. Gong/Moodle:

A more difficult install, and requires shell access to server. So if you don't control your own server, you may not be    able to install it or have to rely on the system admin for installation. Once installed and configured to run in Moodle, it is great, but it was a bit demanding on my server. This is not a high-end server but is just for testing purposes, but I have had a class of 25 taking tests and such without a hiccup. The features are wonderful and very useful but most won't use all of the features. I think Gong/Moodle is great for institutions that use Moodle as their LCMS and have the resources for running Gong on its own server or on some really good machines, definitely not for the hosted type (my production Moodle). 

3. Dimdim:

Couldn't review as it is still in alpha. When in beta I may try to review it, as it seems very promising.

4. Others? - YackPack:

I like YackPack, it is very easy to use and the GUI is very pleasing. The creators are actively involved and are quick to reply to any concerns you may have, at least in my case they have. The nice thing is that it is flash based and 90% of the computers have the flash player installed. Also, you don't have to do anything but put a link in your course, and it will send you an e-mail when someone has left a message or will send an e-mail to all members when you leave a message. It is a no maintenance solution for the teacher or system admin, but if it were to fold or start charging fees then you are at their mercy.

With all this said, I will be using both MoodleSpeex and YackPack this fall semester. I will have the students give me feedback on both and then make a decision on which to use from then on.

Cheers,

Bill

In reply to Bill White

by Don Hinkelman -
Thanks, Bill, for the review and the further discussion here in the Speaking Skills forums.  Very helpful.  It looks like we will have Gong installed this semester, so I can add some comments on that end.  But I will also install Moodlespeex and compare the two, and get student feedback as well.

>> MoodleSpeex:
Initially I had some trouble installing but worked it out.

Could you give us a list of instructions to install Moodlespeex, given your experience?  I am planning to install it in a week and hope to save the trouble that you had.

Cheers!   Don

by Bill White -
Hi Don,

Ok, here is a HOWTO for MoodleSpeex. I tried to write this with the not so tech savvy users in mind. I am sure there are errors that will need to be corrected. So please let me know. I will wait for some feedback from the community before adding this to the MoodleDocs.

I took the liberty of modifing Dan Stowell's instructions to hopefully make them a little clearer for some of us less tech savvy users, like me.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Bill White -
Hi,

If anyone wants to try MoodleSpeex before installing please try it at:

http://bkwhite.dyndns.org/moodle

login as:

username: demo
password: demo

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Tony Hursh -
Thanks for setting this up, Bill (and thanks to Dan for writing the code!)

The first audio message I posted came out with the pitch too low (like a record played on the wrong speed). Most likely some kind of sampling rate problem, I'd guess.

I started Audacity and recorded a file, and all seemed well.

When I went back to MoodleSpeex the problem seemed to have cleared itself up; the second file I posted had normal playback speed. I left the files in your forum in case someone wants to look at them for debugging purposes. My hardware and software setup was:

PowerMac G5
OS X 10.4.7

External microphone and mixer (line in for input, headphone jack for output)

Java info:
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-112)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-64, mixed mode, sharing)

If I get a chance, I'll try it again later using my MacBook.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Dan Stowell -
Hi Tony - Good to hear your booming voice! wink

Your setup is similar to mine and I can't spot any obvious cause for the unusual behaviour. I've downloaded the files but there are no hints inside them - the issue must have been at the recording stage rather than in the file format.

I'll look forward to Bill's summary of user impressions about the tool. Seems like people want to post text and speech together, and there may be some other changes requested too.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Tony Hursh -
Yeah, that was really weird. If I had a voice like that I'd be serious competition for James Earl Jones, at least for voiceover parts. smile

I'm planning to install MoodleSpeex on my test server sometime this week. If I can get the problem to reproduce, I'll post any additional information I have.

Thanks again!
In reply to Bill White

by Ronald Zellner -
I tried logging on to your demo site but it required me to create an account.  When I did that the e-mail confirmation failed.
I'm having problems with my version where it works fine on one iMac and will not record on what is essentially an identical computer.  If I can connect to a working site I can possibly determine if the problem is in my computer or in my server setup.
Thanks,
Ron
In reply to Ronald Zellner

by Bill White -
Hi Ron,

I confirmed your enrollment. But all you need to do is login as guest. Now you have 2 choices, ronz or as guest.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Norbert Berger -
Hi Bill,
Did as instructed in your text and found it works a real treat on my development server (1.6.1). Just need to keep copies of the modified files so I can undo changes during updates, I suppose. Will add this to the production server when I have time and after some more testing.

Many thanks.

Norbert
In reply to Norbert Berger

by Bill White -
Hi Norbert,

Glad my instructions help.

I still want to test a few more systems before putting it on my production server. I just haven't had anyone test it with Linux yet. I will try using a Live CD to see how it does.

Does anyone know if any vesions of Linux on a Live CD have Java installed?

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Marcus Schubert -
Hi Bill,

you might want to try the Java Live CD.
In reply to Marcus Schubert

by Bill White -
Hi Marcus,

Tried it, but it didn't work. Not sure why, but the buttons for playing the sound file were greyed out and I couldn't click them.

If anyone who is using Linux with a Java Runtime capable browser is willing to test it please stop by my test site. Login using demo for both user and password.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Dan Stowell -
I don't have Linux available at the moment but I'd be grateful for feedback on why it might not be working. If you're willing to try it again, Bill, could you see if you can find the Java console - there is probably some error text appearing there, which might help us get to the root of it.
In reply to Dan Stowell

Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Serkan Ozel -
Hi Dan,

I've just installed speex audio player/recorder to my moodle. Recording is working fine but java for player doesn't show up. I activated speexplayer filter, though. Second thing is that I couldn't make either recorder or player on my Mac.

Do you have any suggestion for solutions.

Thanks
Serkan
In reply to Serkan Ozel

by Serkan Ozel -
Hi Dan,

I had already asked same question but I will add more information on that one and ask again. Hope somebody answer.

My question was about MoodleSpeex voice recorder/player/upload tool. I installed it on my Moodle and recorder is working well on my PC but on my mac it works on Safari but not on Firefox. In firefox it gives an error which it doesn't show the entire error message. The part that I could read is "...dClassVersionError: moodlespeex/MoodleSpeexRecorderApplet (Unspported majo...".

My filter for player isn't working on both my PC and Mac. I can see the file on my message but player doesn't load.

Do anybody has any idea about my problems?  and of course if so, what about solutions.

I also want to record 30 min sessions on recorder which I could record. I tried to compress and upload it but when my internet connection was cut and reconnect in a few seconds, uploading froze and didn't start again. Is there a way for such kind of situations to modify the path for the compressed (spx) file. By this way  I can use a generic upload function for that specific recorded audio otherwise I will lose it.

Any insights?

Serkan
In reply to Serkan Ozel

Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Dan Stowell -
Serkan -

This sounds like it might be something to do with the version of Java is installed on your computer(s). Java 1.4 is required. If you have Java 1.3 then the player may work but the recorder will certainly refuse to run.

On your Mac, if you browse to Applications > Utilities > Java, what do you see there? You should probably see some files with version numbers in their filenames. That's one fairly easy way to work out which version(s) of Java you have.

You can get the latest version of Java for Mac from here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/java2se50release1.html

When you "see the file on my message but player doesn't load": do you see a box where the play should load?
In reply to Dan Stowell

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Serkan Ozel -
Dan,

I have 1.3.1, 1.4.2 and also java2 SE 5.0 installed on my Mac. On my computers recorder is working but player isn't showing up on both my Mac and PC. For the player, it doesn't show up anybox or give any error. It just shows file name on my message. To me it is like filter problem, it is like it couldn't filter the file name.

I have no problem for recorder on PC but it doesn't work on firefox on Mac but it does work on Safari on Mac.

Thanks for reply by the way.

serkan
In reply to Serkan Ozel

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Dan Stowell -
Hmm, OK. Could you please tell me what the FULL URL is for one of your Speex files that's not being converted to the player? It might be an issue with the way the filter matches URLs.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by David Berry -
I think that I might be having a similar problem.  In school it works very impressively but external access is via a reverse proxy.  Something in reverse proxy mangles up the addresses and so nothing is visible - even the buttons disappear.  Is there anything in your code that I can tweak to get around this problem?

Thanks

Dave Berry
In reply to David Berry

by Bill White -
Dave and Dan,

I think I have the reverse problem of Dave. I tried to access my server from my school, which uses a proxy server, and couldn't get it to work.

I am not sure but this may be my problem. Although, it could be something else as the console output listed something as unsupported.

Would be very interested in knowing what is the problem.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to David Berry

by Dan Stowell -
I honestly don't know, I'm afraid. I don't know abut reverse proxies. Do you know in what way the addresses are "mangled"? Is it obvious to you as a user (e.g. in the URLs you use to access the Moodle site, and/or the .spx files attached to the forum messages)? If there is anything appearing in the Java Console related to this, I'd be grateful if you'd paste it here (or send it me in a msg, if preferred).

The difficulty is that the architecture of things like this is a bit tricky. The applets have to make a separate connection to the Moodle server than the connection the web browser uses, so I can imagine that if proxies handle the connections differently it has the potential to trip things up.

Are you using multiple Moodle webservers, by the way, or just one? That might have an effect on the way the sessions are passed around in these separate connections.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by David Berry -
Many, many apologies.  Just moved Moodle on to a new server and everything works correctly.  I must have made a mistake somewhere in the original setup blush So your software works 100%.  Reverse proxies are NOT the spawn of the devil and it is Friday night.

I might have a glass of wine to celebrate.

Dan.  Keep on producing excellent add-ons to Moodle.

David Berry
In reply to David Berry

by Dan Stowell -
Great! I'm glad it works for you.

Now to try and make it work for all the others... mixed
In reply to Dan Stowell

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Serkan Ozel -
In reply to Serkan Ozel

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex

by Dan Stowell -
Yes, thanks. Hmm, OK, so the URLs are "normal" - perhaps it's this "proxy" or "reverse proxy" issue that others are mentioning.
In reply to Dan Stowell

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex

by Serkan Ozel -
Dan it's not "proxy" or "reverse proxy" error that I know. It doesn't even call java speexplayer.

I faced very strange problem lastly with recording where I don't have any insights where the problem comes from. Recorder is working with PCs and Macs we have but two Macs. Both of those have latest versions of Java and they seem identical other macs we have. The problem is that when I push record button, timer doesn't count and it doesn't record anything. Since it doesn't record anything when I pushed play button it gives error (just says "error" under time line). I believe moodlespeex isn't the problem but java itself on the Macs. I don't know if you have any suggestion that I can look for solutions? I looked for java console for two different computers, one is working and other isn't working. I will copy and paste what I see in the console both for working one and broken one. I hope one will have insights what can be the problem.

Working One:

====

recorder page opened

====

CapturePlayback's WAV file for recording is: /tmp/mdl15670.wav

basic: Starting applet ...

====

Record is started then following lines show up in console

====

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/PortMixerProvider.class with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/PortMixerProvider.class with cookie "MOODLEID_=%25F0%25C9%250CG%25B2s"

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/DirectAudioDeviceProvider.class with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/DirectAudioDeviceProvider.class with cookie "MOODLEID_=%25F0%25C9%250CG%25B2s"

TargetDataLine allocated has this AudioFormat: PCM_SIGNED 44100.0 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little-endian

====

Record is stopped, then following lines show up in console

====

thread==null, recording thread about to tidy up

About to grab audio input stream from cache file

Grabbed audio input stream from cache file

Calculated duration

numPeakValues: 0

proportionPeakValues: 0.0

Created samplingGraph

Broken one:

====

recorder page opened

====

CapturePlayback's WAV file for recording is: /tmp/mdl57812.wav

====

Record is started then following lines show up in console

====

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/PortMixerProvider.class with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/PortMixerProvider.class with cookie "MoodleSession=6c320b49059b9a4092be0a779cf25bfa; MoodleSessionTest=Gwe6qZ5F3D; MOODLEID_=%25F0%25C9%250CG%25B2s"

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/DirectAudioDeviceProvider.class with proxy=DIRECT

network: Connecting http://edtcserver.coe.tamu.edu/moodle/mod/forum/com/sun/media/sound/DirectAudioDeviceProvider.class with cookie "MoodleSession=6c320b49059b9a4092be0a779cf25bfa; MoodleSessionTest=Gwe6qZ5F3D; MOODLEID_=%25F0%25C9%250CG%25B2s"

TargetDataLine allocated has this AudioFormat: PCM_SIGNED 44100.0 Hz, 16 bit, stereo, 4 bytes/frame, little-endian

====

Record is stopped, then nothing shows up in the console

====

Thanks in advance,
serkan
In reply to Serkan Ozel

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex

by Dan Stowell -
These messages are unexpected: they seem to show that the Java plugin is trying to load some of the built-in Java components from the Moodle site (!!!). I'm not sure why this would happen.

Is there anything unusual about the way Java is installed on your computers? For example, is it a managed network installation? Or have you installed a "reduced" version that doesn't have the java audio components?
In reply to Dan Stowell

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex

by Serkan Ozel -
No there isn't anything unusual about the way Java is installed. I do the regular updates on all machienes that I have; so each of them is installed in same way. After this problem occured, I installed the Java SE 5.0 Release 4 which didn't help on two of the computers but working on other ones. I don't know where to look for bug.
In reply to Bill White

by Tony Beld -
Tested it on my Linux box (Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake). Worked just fine!
In reply to Tony Beld

by Dan Stowell -
Excellent - thanks for the feedback Tony.

For information: Bill gave me a login to troubleshoot his Ubuntu client, and I found out that the culprit was the "Kaffe" open-source Java plugin (a kind of open-source alternative to the official plugin).

Once I installed the official Sun Java plugin, MoodleSpeex worked fine on his Ubuntu. So if you see problems, one thing to check is whether it's "authentic" Java or not!
In reply to Bill White

by Belinda Allan -
Hi Bill,

Just found your posts (2 threads) and tried your demo site as guest.
My specs:
SimplyMEPIS 6.0 RC4 (Debian based - Ubuntu similar)
Firefox 1.5.0.5

It worked quite well. The first post had no sound for me (maybe it was too low?) the other two were good.

Problem: It took over my sound system. I had to close Firefox and restart my sound system before I got other sounds working. I tried just restarting sound, but had to close Firefox first.

It's like the Java applet took over the sound system and didn't give it back.

Don't think it's your server's fault, maybe the Applet?

I'll try to find the feedback page for this mod and put it there.

Cheers,
 - B
In reply to Bill White

by eric lau -
Bill - your instructions here don't include the DB modifying step in the README from Dan.  Did you get it to work even without this step?

Regardless, I've gone thru the install steps (1-4, including DB modifying) in the README, and still don't see the box to change post mode from text to audio.  Any other install steps/tips that I might be missing?  Hopefully, I'm just overlooking something simple.

I'd love to help test, and my teachers are extremely excited about moodlespeex, so thanks to everyone for putting in the work to make this happen.

Thanks!

Info that might help you solve my problems:
Apache2 server on windows2000 server.
mysql, moodle 1.6.
java1.4.2 IE and firefox on WinXP Pro.
In reply to eric lau

by Dan Stowell -
Your setup sounds fine to me. Your forum should now have an extra setting: Go to "update this forum" and change the "audio message mode" setting so that audio is enabled.

It's in the README, but I'll make it a bit more obvious... smile
In reply to Dan Stowell

by eric lau -
Thanks, Dan.  The problem was my inexperience at navigating moodle.  But I also didn't catch that I had to enable Speex BOTH at the system level (Admin -> Configuration -> Filter) AND for each forum (Forum -> Update).  Initially, I also forgot to have editing turned on.  Sorry.

Now that I see the player, I have the same problem as Serkan: Recorder works fine, player is seen but doens't work (top of attached JPG).  When I click the "error" button there, I get the 'unsupported audio file' error (bottom of attached JPG).  I can click on the "?" icon and download the speex file.

Full URL fr the speex file is: http://moodle.punahou.edu/file.php/2/moddata/forum/2/2/mdl47426.spx

Java 1.4.2 on WinXPPro.  Same problem in both Firefox and IE.

Thanks again for your work on this.  The stuff that works looks awesome!
Attachment moodlespeex_player_error.JPG
In reply to eric lau

by Art Lader -
Yes, this looks wonderful, but I ran into the exact same error as Eric.

Very much looking forward to getting this to work, though!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Dan Stowell -
OK - Eric/Art, are you able to give me a login to be able to look into the issue? Message me if so...
In reply to eric lau

by Eduardo Hernandez -
That's exactly the same message I'm getting but not in a warning popup window but in my Java console; Any ideas or solution?
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

by Art Lader -
Hi, Eduardo,

When I upgraded Java on my computer, the error went away.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Art, thank you so much.

I have upgraded to 1.5 Update 6 and it didn't work sad .

At home, where it is working I also have Java 1.5 Update 6. The only differences between my home and office are: my home PC runs an English version of Windows XP SP2, while in my office it runs the Spanish version. At the same time, at home it is running in my local copy of Moodle on Windows, while in my office it is running in a Linux box.

Files in the moodle server are exactly the same for both (home and office). Any ideas????
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Serkan Ozel -
Hi again,

I still have problems running player. I couldn't make it run. My new problem smile is that options for choosing mode for forum (disable, enable and Audio is default) is not working properly. It doesn't matter which one I choose it acts like  "enabled" is chosen. I need to mention that I have two Moodle on my server. One of them is 1.5.2 and other one is 1.5.3+ . I don't have any problem to switch among options on 1.5.2. But even if I change the option to enabled or audio is default on 1.5.3+ and try to update the forum it still shows disabled as selected option.

Is there any insights?

Thanks for everybody working on this project, it's really neat.
In reply to Serkan Ozel

Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Dan Stowell -
You probably haven't applied the database change (part of the installation) to the 1.5.3+ site. It needs the extra database column applied to the forum table so that it can store a permanent record of the forum's "audio mode".
In reply to Dan Stowell

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool (early version)

by Serkan Ozel -
Thanks Dan. It was the problem.
In reply to eric lau

by Bill White -
Eric,

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

"Bill - your instructions here don't include the DB modifying step in the README from Dan.  Did you get it to work even without this step?"

I didn't need to touch the DB at all.

I think Dan has covered everthing else already.

I have my Moodle set up on a LAMP with Moodle 1.6.1 and now it is on 1.6.2.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Bill White -
Hi All

Just an update:

Sorry, have been under the weather and overwhelmed with work these past couple of weeks. But I am now back in the saddle agin.

Eric,
Yes I did have to enter the line of code to modify the DB. I didn't remember until I rebuilt my server and reinstalled everything from scratch.

Again if anyone wants to test the endusers experience please stop by and try.

http://bkwhite.dyndns.org/moodle

guest access is enabled. If you get ant errors please post them here for Dan or post them on my site and I will forward them to Dan.

Cheers,
Bill

P.S. Off to an Oktoberfest tomorrow, so don't think I will be touching any PCs tomorrow.
In reply to eric lau

by Francisco Arcos (franky91) -

Can you give me a step by step instructions on how to modify the database?

I use MySql and MySql Administrator.

Thanks

In reply to Bill White

by Art Lader -
Hmmm... I have gone through this install procedure (Moodle version 1 6 2) several times now and am clearly doing something wrong.

When I go to the "files" section of any course, I am able to record and upload audio files. Nice! But in the forums, I am not getting the option to record a message. The Speex filter has been anabled, I have made the DB change and have modified the appropriate files (probably incorrectly, I guess).

Anyone want to point out whatever obvious mistake it is that I am making?

Thanks!

-- Art

PS The playback applet loads but is grayed out, by the way. I have the latest version of ava on my PC. But that's another issue. One thing at a time, right?

Attachment speex.gif
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Ha! It is working and it's great!

By the way, to get it to work in Firefox, I had to do this.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Dan Stowell -
I'm glad you got it working, Art! If there's any change to the install documentation that you recommend, please do say.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Art Lader -
No change needed! I just had to pay closer attention to what I was doing, I guess, and upgrade Java on my machine.  smile

-- Art
In reply to Bill White

by Francisco Arcos (franky91) -

I followed the script for istallation and everything is O.K. except that when I upload it stays "uploading" forever. Consequently not feeds, no posts, nothing. Any clues?

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hi,

Dimdim Moodle Integration pack is available at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176809&package_id=228683&release_id=501528
Dimdim is added as an activity within moodle and Dimdim Web meeting can directly be invoked from the Moodle itself. Please tell me if you face any problems/issues.

Thanks and Regards,
-Rajesh
rajesh(@)dimdim.com
In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: MoodleSpeex - Upload Problem

by Paul Davis -

Install went perfectly.  However, when I try to upload it hangs.  Compression happens fine.  I get this in the Sun Java Console:

*** UnknownHostException: UploadManager ***
Exception in thread "Thread-159" java.lang.NullPointerException
 at net.sf.postlet.UploadManager.run(UploadManager.java:71)

Is there a quick fix?  I must have just missed a little something somewhere.

Thanks.

In reply to Paul Davis

Re: MoodleSpeex - Upload Problem

by Dan Stowell -
No, there isn't a quick fix blush Are you willing to give me a login for your Moodle so I can check this out? You're the first person to report this specific issue, so I don't yet know why it might happen. (I have my suspicions)
In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: MoodleSpeex - Mac OK, Windows Not (early version)

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Dan,

Thanks for a wonderful program!

We just finished installing Moodlespeex and it worked OK in our faculty Macs (Intel, OS 10.4.7) within Firefox 1.5.  Very clear recording with an external mic.  The internal Mac mic did not make a clear recording.  Even on our Mac/Firefox we got that annoying popup window asking to grant authorization for Dan Stowell/Java to work.  Is there any way to stop that?

Then when we tested Moodlespeex with the student PCs using IE 1.6 on Windows 2000Pro, the play button would not work (grayed out).  We determined it was a client-side problem because Bill White's site also showed grayed out play buttons.  So we upgraded the Java version on the client from 1.4.2 to 1.5.0 and the play buttons appeared.  Very clear recording and playback.  However, only *one* playback allowed as you mentioned in your documentation.  Thus it is unusable for our students until we can solve the one-playback problem.  I suppose we could ask students to refresh their screens to play again, but that is kind of messy.  Any ideas?

Re: MoodleSpeex - Mac OK, Windows Not

by Dan Stowell -
Hi Don. Thanks for the reports.

Sorry, there's no way to stop the authorisation dialogue box - it's a security feature of Java. You wouldn't want *anyone* to be able to record sound from your computer and send it over the web, would you? surprise So Java requires explicit permission in order to record sound.

I'm afraid I have no solution for the one-playback-on-IE problem at the moment. (It's very strange because the behaviour should be 100% Java-controlled and therefore not browser-dependent. Will keep my eyes open for possible solutions.) If your student computers have Firefox on them, that's one workaround wink
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Don Hinkelman -
By the way, Dan, did you find the Java 1.5 a minimum client system requirement as we did?   Java 1.4 would not work for us.  If so, you might put that in the documentation if you haven't already.

>>Sorry, there's no way to stop the authorisation dialogue box - it's a security feature of Java. You wouldn't want *anyone* to be able to record sound from your computer and send it over the web, would you? surprise
No, I don't mind if anyone records me.  So how do I turn it off?   Sorry, for my half-joking reply, but I don't understand at all why recording a voice is any different from posting a forum message.  Why should we have to give permission here?   I think joining the learning community means you agree to share your thoughts with the community members. 

>>So Java requires explicit permission in order to record sound.
I think we should ask the teacher once if they want their students to record.  Why should students have to grant that permission individually and again and again (or do they only have to grant permission once?).  If Java absolutely *must* be so intrusive and annoying, are there other alternate ways to record sound without Java?

>>I'm afraid I have no solution for the one-playback-on-IE problem at the moment... If your student computers have Firefox on them, that's one workaround wink
Great workaround which I am totally in favor of.  Unfortunately, to get all 600 computers installed with Firefox takes months of lobbying and paper applications.  While I am working on promoting Firefox, we decided to teach students the refresh-click-technique.  Not as unusable as I first said.

Can we also integrate a recorder like this into other modules?   Quiz-Authoring?  Journal?  Assignment?   As a language teacher, I would like make my recordings directly into a quiz question authoring page.  For students, I want them to submit speeches as assignments or journals.

The key to Moodlespeex, Gong or any voice application getting accepted, is to make it as transparent as possible.  No one should know it requires Java except an admin.  So far Moodlespeex is wonderful and the most Moodle-integrated.  Forgive me if I want it even *more* transparent.  smile

by David Hicks -
> No, I don't mind if anyone records me.  So how do I turn it off?

Would a signed Java applet be the thing to use here? Either a "self-signed" one (would need installing on client machines - probably okay for within a school done by admins, but maybe a bit fiddly for people at home) or get Moodle.com to cough up for a $200-a-year Thawte code-signing certificate?

> Unfortunately, to get all 600 computers installed with Firefox takes months
> of lobbying and paper applications.

Hmm, maybe a "proper" Thawte-provided certificate would be the only really practical solution, then.

--
David Hicks
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Julian Ridden -
I am going a little nuts here.

Uploaded the files to their correct paths and made the changes. However on my screen I keep seeing the red X.

My thoughts were a path was wrong, but I viewed the source and it seems fine.

<applet name="Speexuploader" width ="400" height ="200" mayscript="mayscript"
      code="moodlespeex/MoodleSpeexRecorderApplet.class" style="border: 1px solid rgb(153,153,153);">
 <param name="archive"  value="http://playpen.monte.nsw.edu.au/lib/speex/moodlespeexrecorder.jar"/>
 <param name="type"  value="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4"/>
 <param name="scriptable"  value="true"/><param name="subject"  value=""/> <param name="destination" value="http://playpen.monte.nsw.edu.au/mod/forum/post.php?course=10&amp;userid=2&amp;parent=0&amp;edit=0&amp;forum=11&amp;discussion=0&amp;message=Audio%20message%20attached&amp;timestartdisabled=1&amp;timeenddisabled=1&amp;format=0"/>
 <param name="filefieldname"  value="attachment"/>
 <param name="endpage"  value="http://playpen.monte.nsw.edu.au/mod/forum/view.php?f=11"/>
 <param name="cookie"  value="MoodleSession=h9umq1ope0p7fmiiupkmf1o417; MOODLEID_playpen=%25E2%25C8%2513E%25BD; MoodleSessionTest=Hoxudp2Wr6; MOODLEID_=%25E2%25C8%2513E%25BD"/>
 <param name="compressionmode"  value="1"/>
 <param name="compressionmodes"  value="1,2,3"/>

Any other ideas as to the cause?

P.S. I have confirmed the jar is the afformentioned path..and it is! sad
Attachment moodlepseex.jpg
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Michael C -

I was having the same problem.  I have the latest version of IE and kept getting that red X.  I checked the settings for my browser.  Mine for some reason was set to HIGH security for Java, I put it to medium and now it works.

I am having a problem though with the audio discussion or reply showing up.

Hope this helps.

Michael

In reply to Michael C

by Dan Stowell -
Julian/Michael - If you're still having problems, please try and lcoate the Java Console on your computer(s) and see if there are any relevant error messages appearing there. If so, please post them to the forum - that's the only way to see where the source of the error might be.

Michael, thanks for this tip re the java security level.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Michael C -

I have it all setup, I hit record, it records, when I hit upload it does the compression, then it takes me to the forum.

Problem is the is nothing in the forum, no link, no message, nothing.  I looked in all the file areas and I can't find the file.  Where did it go?

Michael

In reply to Michael C

by Eduardo Hernandez -

Hi Michael,

Today while configuring mine; I realized I hadn't activated the filter. Then I had to restart my browser (F5 didn't work)

Eduardo

by Michael C -

I have the filters activated in the ADMIN area and in the Forum that I'm using for testing purposes.

It does the recording, compresses and uploads, yet there is nothing in the forum.  I can't even see where it uploaded the file to.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

In reply to Michael C

by Michael C -

I'm still at a loss on where the files went, if anywhere.  I can go into a course, look in files and it asks if I want to create a voice file.  I can do that with no problems at all,  forums does not work for me.

It records, I can play it back, go to upload, it compresses and then WHAM nothing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the same changes will work in 1.7 (my problem has been happening since 1.6 of moodle).

Thanks in advance.

Michael

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Julian Ridden -
This issue is weird..but doesnt lok like its the codes fault.

Ihave got this to wrk on 5 out of 6 machines I have tested it on. The one it didnt like just happened to be my own. the only Mac in the village (or college at least), so concide my issue dropped.

As long as it works for my teachers and students, then I am happy. And that seams to be the case.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your time and effort in trying to create a voice recording tool that doesn't need a Java server. I've hunted around for various solutions and I came across and interesting plugin for Wordpress: http://mtr-design.com/en/projects/mtr-podcast-recorder/

It uses the LAME MP3 CODEC (open source) which is the best in the business, open or closed source.

It doesn't require a Java server and records directly onto a server using PHP. I've tried and tested it successfully on my LAMP setup and on a public LAMP server (in Wordpress only). I think recording to a server gets around a lot of problems that users can experience when they have to upload files.

I hope this'll be useful to you.

All the best,

Matt smile
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Dan,

At home - in my Windows PC- everything os working fine. We installed it in our development server under Linux, and everyhing is working fine. The only problem is that I'm unable to play audio files posted in the forum.

My Console says:

Finished! Sending you on to http://moodle.uniacc.cl/moodle16/moodle/mod/forum/view.php?f=2586

MSPA tmpFile = C:\DOCUME~1\LHERNA~1\CONFIG~1\Temp\mdl49405.spx

MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet important error: 'Unsupported audio file' error while trying to open cache file for playback

javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: file is not a supported file type

at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getAudioFileFormat(Unknown Source)

at moodlespeex.MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet.initialiseAudio(MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet.java:175)

at moodlespeex.MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet.access$400(MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet.java:12)

at moodlespeex.MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet$Downloader.run(MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet.java:457)

by Michael C -

ok here goes.  I have everything installed and the filters all setup.  I can record an audio in the forum, hit upload and it doesn't show up anywhere, not even in the files area.

BUT if I go into a course and create an audio file it shows up.  Any ideas why it shows up in the file area when I create one there but doesn't show up in the forum area.

Applets show up in the forum to record, but there is nothing there.  I'd really like to use this throughout the site but am at a loss.

Michael

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Thomas Caswell -
We have been testing MoodleSpeex with several clients and have been impressed with its functionality and ease of use.

However, a Mac user recently reported the following issue:

"I've used this [MoodleSpeex] on a mac (several macs) with Safari and Firefox (2.0) and discovered a bug with Firefox. I am able to record and upload my files in Firefox, but cannot return to the discussion board once I've made my post or the program freezes. I can go anywhere else in my moodle site after posting, just not back to the discussion board."

I'd be willing to bet this is an issue with the recently released Firefox 2.0, but I wanted to post it in case there are other ramifications.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue when using MoodleSpeex on a Mac client with Firefox 2.0?

Regards,
Thom
In reply to Thomas Caswell

by Jason La Greca -
Ok dumb question..

I have set up this totally awesome tool.. However, because the company managing my server wont give me "Console" access, thats right not even ssh. i cannot simply apply the patches... Instead i tried to edit the files manually using a PHP editor... (i am trying to teach myself php...)

The set up works, ie it shows up and i can record a message.. BUT i cannot upload the sound to the forum. It goes through the upload process then refreshes the screen, but it doesnt appear on the forum... I have checked out to make sure the forum settings had "Audio" enabled... But for some reason it doesnt want to keep these settings saved.. everytime i return to the forum settings menu this has been re-set to disabled... i am assuming this is why i cant post an audio message...

If it helps i am running the latest 1.7+

Thank you kindly one and all..

In reply to Jason La Greca

by Jason La Greca -
Ok here is the Java output for you Hope this helps.. (ps i fixed the settings problem.. forgot to add the database field.. (so dumb)

***helppage is badly formed:###null###***
CapturePlayback's WAV file for recording is: C:\DOCUME~1\Jason\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl17657.wav
Calculated duration
Created samplingGraph
Temp Speex file: C:\DOCUME~1\Jason\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl17658.spx
Java Speex Command Line Encoder v0.9.7 ($Revision: 1.2 $)
using Java Speex Encoder v0.9.7 ($Revision: 1.1 $)
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Wimba S.A.

Input File: C:\DOCUME~1\Jason\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl17657.wav
File format: Raw audio
Sample rate: 44100
Channels: 2
Data size: 1719900

Output File: C:\DOCUME~1\Jason\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl17658.spx
File format: Ogg Speex
Encoder mode: Narrowband
Quality: 8.0
Complexity: 8
Frames per packet: 1
Varible bitrate: true
Voice activity detection: true
Discontinouous Transmission: true
Destination URL is http://www.mysite.info/mod/forum/post.php?course=55&userid=2&parent=852&edit=0&forum=107&discussion=49&message=Audio%20message%20attached&timestartdisabled=1&timeenddisabled=1&format=0
Adding subject to URL
Destination URL is http://www.mysite.info/mod/forum/post.php?course=55&userid=2&parent=852&edit=0&forum=107&discussion=49&message=Audio%20message%20attached&timestartdisabled=1&timeenddisabled=1&format=0&subject=Re%3A+test+mode
Finished! Sending you on to http://www.mysite.info/mod/forum/view.php?f=107 clown

by satoru shinagawa -
I have the same problem. It can record fine, plays fine. When I upload the file, it gives me no error messages. But the file doesn't appear anywhere.

Can someone help me with this problem?
In reply to satoru shinagawa

by Terushige Kohama -
I can't upload the file, either. Does it concern with the table prefix?
 I don't know which table prefix I need to change to. 

In reply to Terushige Kohama

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Likewise I have the same problem -- uploading to a files folder works fine, but uploads to forums don't -- they run and record fine, and appear to upload, but actually don't do even a post at all. There is nothing in the database afterwards.

When I did the database install table prefix of mdl, so as long as that is the prefix, the table should be okay: mdl_forum is the default name of the table.

-- Randy

Specs: I have Moodle 1.6.3 running on Red Hat AS 3, MySQL 5.0.15; with Java 1.5 on Firefox 2.0 on an XP client, though I get the same results in IE 6.0; and same results on a Mac with Firefox 1.5 with java 1.4.2.

Here is the code in the post:
<applet name="Speexuploader" width ="400" height ="200" mayscript="mayscript"
 code="moodlespeex/MoodleSpeexRecorderApplet.class" style="border: 1px solid rgb(153,153,153);">
 <param name="archive" value="http://moodle.ups.edu/moodle/lib/speex/moodlespeexrecorder.jar"/>
 <param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4"/>
 <param name="scriptable" value="true"/><param name="subject" value="Re: this is a test attachment"/> <param name="destination" value="http://moodle.ups.edu/moodle/mod/forum/post.php?course=13&amp;userid=2&amp;parent=70&amp;edit=0&amp;forum=51&amp;discussion=40&amp;message=Audio%20message%20attached&amp;timestartdisabled=1&amp;timeenddisabled=1&amp;format=0"/>
 <param name="filefieldname" value="attachment"/>

The java console gives me this:
----------------------------------------------------
CapturePlayback's WAV file for recording is: C:\DOCUME~1\RWTHOR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl60506.wav
CapturePlayback's WAV file for recording is: C:\DOCUME~1\RWTHOR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl60507.wav

CapturePlayback's WAV file for recording is: C:\DOCUME~1\RWTHOR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl60508.wav
Calculated duration
Created samplingGraph
Temp Speex file: C:\DOCUME~1\RWTHOR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl60509.spx
Java Speex Command Line Encoder v0.9.7 ($Revision: 1.2 $)
using Java Speex Encoder v0.9.7 ($Revision: 1.1 $)
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Wimba S.A.
Input File: C:\DOCUME~1\RWTHOR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl60508.wav
File format: Raw audio
Sample rate: 44100
Channels: 2
Data size: 661500
Output File: C:\DOCUME~1\RWTHOR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mdl60509.spx
File format: Ogg Speex
Encoder mode: Narrowband
Quality: 8.0
Complexity: 8
Frames per packet: 1
Varible bitrate: true
Voice activity detection: true
Discontinouous Transmission: true
Destination URL is
http://moodle.ups.edu/moodle/mod/forum/post.php?course=13&userid=2&parent=70&edit=0&forum=51&discussion=40&message=Audio%20message%20attached&timestartdisabled=1&timeenddisabled=1&format=0
Adding subject to URL
Destination URL is http://moodle.ups.edu/moodle/mod/forum/post.php?course=13&userid=2&parent=70&edit=0&forum=51&discussion=40&message=Audio%20message%20attached&timestartdisabled=1&timeenddisabled=1&format=0&subject=Re%3A+this+is+a+test+voice+message+from+randy

Finished! Sending you on to http://moodle.ups.edu/moodle/mod/forum/view.php?f=51

by Melinda Kraft -
Same problem here - I am running Moodle 1.6.3+, Java Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_09-b03). Record and playback are fine - awesome even. On clicking upload, file compresses, then hangs when the slider is about 1/3 of the way through.

The Java Console error:

Destination URL is http://coursesnew.albion.edu/cw/mod/forum/post.php?course=137&userid=2&parent=5808&edit=0&forum=1153&discussion=2964&message=Audio%20message%20attached&timestartdisabled=1&timeenddisabled=1&format=0
Adding subject to URL
Destination URL is http://coursesnew.albion.edu/cw/mod/forum/post.php?course=137&userid=2&parent=5808&edit=0&forum=1153&discussion=2964&message=Audio%20message%20attached&timestartdisabled=1&timeenddisabled=1&format=0&subject=Re%3A+Please+make+your+audio+posts+to+this+forum
Exception in thread "Thread-47" java.lang.StackOverflowError
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.uploadFile(UploadThread.java:103)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.upload(UploadThread.java:77)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.run(UploadThread.java:59)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.run(UploadThread.java:69)
(this last error repeats many many times)

Suggestions? I've tried various browsers, etc. Running on windows (I'm going down the hall to try on the mac now).

In reply to Melinda Kraft

by Randy Thornton -
Melinda,

Can you go into the files area and record a voice message and have it upload okay?

It seems from the reports that this is happening in 1.6 and 1.7 -- I wonder if there
isn't something in the syntax of the url passed to post.php???

Randy

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Jason La Greca -
Nope doesnt upload in the files area either. exactly the same problem...sad

Re: MoodleSpeex - voice upload tool

by Keith Bennett -

has anyone found the solution to this?

i have the same problem - all seems to be in working order except the voice message isn't actually posted.  Where is it supposed to be stored?  It won't upload into my site files folder, either. I'm using Moodle 1.7 as well.

I tried it Under windows xp with IE 6.0 and in SUSE Linux with Mozilla and Conqueror and get the same problem, but it's not a browser problem I assume because I can use the demo site fine with my browser with no problems.

I get this error from Moodle if I turn debugging on:

Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_REFERER in /home/pbemcon/public_html/callsac/mod/forum/post.php on line 327

Is there any way to put in an error message if it can't find the folder it's supposed to store the audio file in?

In reply to Keith Bennett

by Jason La Greca -
I gave up... and have decided to use the voice recorder mod instead...
In reply to Keith Bennett

by Randy Thornton -
Keith,

I finally got this to work in 1.7.1. When running the patches, two of them failed, and one of them said it worked, even though it did not actually do anything to the file. Not sure why (this was on Red Hat Enterprise 4 server.)

So, I went in by hand and cut and pasted all the code into the proper places (it's only three sections in three files), set the php files to 755, and lo and behold, it worked.

So, I tried this trick on my 1.6.3 server, but the forums there are still broken. Alas.

I'm still not sure why exactly, which is worrisome, but I am having some faculty test it out.

Randy

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Jayson Gilbert -

Hi Dan

I have installed your voice tool for use with children with special needs. Works great, but the HTML editor has disapeared when replying to a forum post. Any ideas?

Best wishes

Jayson Gilbert

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Maggi Carstairs -

Sounds great...I want it...

What an great idea... I do some recording and am struggling with odeo right now..

Maggi

In reply to Dan Stowell

Could not add a new instance of forum

by Worth Bishop -
Am trying to implement this in 1.7.1+ but have run into a problem. Having:
  • uploaded the files as instructed,
  • modified the /mod/forum files and /files/index.php and
  • added a speex field to mdl_forum as instructed,
  • activated Speex in the Admin/Filters,
when I try to add a new forum to a course I get the error message:

Could not add a new instance of forum

I have successfully implemented this module in a 1.6 version of Moodle and it works fine. I'm using PostgreSQL and so had to modify the data type (no ENUM type in PostgreSQL). I used boolean type, default value of "false". Also changed the code in post.html and post.php from:

if($forum->speex != 'off')

to

if($forum->speex != 'false')

In the 1.7.1+ version, PostgreSQL logs a database error:

ERROR: invalid input syntax for type boolean: "on"

Looks like a code change may have implemented an 'on' somewhere, but I cannot find it in /mod/forum or /files/

Any ideas?

Thanks!

In reply to Worth Bishop

Re: Could not add a new instance of forum

by Worth Bishop -
Still no joy here. Guess I'll uninstall for the moment. sad

In reply to Dan Stowell

Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool: different files in mod forum 1.8!

by Norbert Berger -
Hi Dan,

Hope you had a great Easter break.

First of all, many thanks for a great tool. I have installed it on several Moodle installations up to 1.7.1 without problems.

Now I am upgrading some of my installations to 1.8+ and have run into an impasse: Not all files required to be changed no longer exist in the latest version: There is post.php, but not mod.html nor post.html. Post.php has changed considerably: I cna find the first instance, where a reference to speex needs adding, but then I am pretty well lost. There are two new files: mod_form.php and post_form.php, but again, my programming skills are sorely lacking so I can't fix this myself.

Could you please look into this, so an upgrade to 1.8 does not break speex functionality? I would so very much appreciate your help and look forward to your reply.

Norbert G. Berger

by Richard Smyton -

Hi,

Firstly may I say what a great tool this is. Thank you.

I am very non techie but have managed to install it in our 1.7.1 Moodle and it works GREAT!!!

However, the option to enable/disable audio in forum settings is inactive. I see in the readme file that I have to make a modification to moodle database.....

Moodle's "forum" table needs an extra field to store whether audio
messaging is active. The following SQL will add the column to a MySQL
Moodle database (please remember to change the table prefix):

ALTER TABLE `mdl_forum` ADD `speex` ENUM( 'off', 'on', 'default' ) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'off';

The thing is, I don't know quite what this means in simpler terms. Which file do I need to download and alter and where exactly do I alter it/add to it before re-uploading it?

I would be very grateful if someone could explain this final step to me in simpler terms.

Many thanks,

Richard

Woodland Grange Primary School

In reply to Richard Smyton

回复: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool: different files in mod forum 1.8!

by Joanna Tsai -

I also was puzzled this "

Moodle's "forum" table needs an extra field to store whether audio
messaging is active. The following SQL will add the column to a MySQL
Moodle database (please remember to change the table prefix):

ALTER TABLE `mdl_forum` ADD `speex` ENUM( 'off', 'on', 'default' ) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'off';"

for 2 days, as I don't know how to modify it by PHPMYADMIN, hope Dan can instruct us more clearly.

Thanks

by Richard Kassissieh -
This is a tiny step, but I was able to get the Speex recording applet to display within the forum interface by adding ...

require($CFG->dirroot . '/lib/speex/forumpost.html');

... above $mform_post->set_data(array( ... on line 734.

This at least got the applet to display above the text forum input area. However, Upload still didn't create a new forum post. I don't know what else needs to be done to get this to display and work properly.

Richard

回复: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool: different files in mod forum 1.8!

by Joanna Tsai -
Norbert, Yes, I aslo discovered you mentioned, I guess the author has stopped improving with the moodle upgrade, a little disappointed, hope a hero with applet java program editing knowhow come to save us!
In reply to Joanna Tsai

Re: 回复: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool: different files in mod forum 1.8!

by Norbert Berger -
Liu, It's not the applet that needs reporgramming. It works fine. It's just problems with positioning/calling up the applets in the new php 1.8 versions of forum and files. Bill White has sent me some files to compare from his working installation on 1.8 and I am trying to suss it out. Will post if/when I have made some progress.

回复: Re: 回复: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool: different files in mod forum 1.8!

by Joanna Tsai -

Hi, Norbert, I admire you very much, waiting for your modifying version, many thanks to Bill White, too!

Best Regards,

Liu hz

Re: 回复: Re: MoodleSpeex - voice record/upload tool: different files in mod forum 1.8!

by Christophe Naud -
Hi Norbert, Liu, Bill,

Did you manage to insert the right code in the new files ? It's a shame moodlespeex cannot possibly work fine on Moodle version 1.8.

However I've noticed 'Bill's playground' is running a 1.8 version of Moodle to test moodlespeex and it seems to work...

Do you have some news from him as his installation seems to be ok ? Or the files were changed after 1.8 ?

Regards,

Christophe
In reply to Dan Stowell

by tom sparks -
I am porting moodleSpeex out side of moodle
but the moodleSpexxplayer is closing firefox

code I have changed
speexplayer
"
<applet name="speexplayer" width="200" height="30" code="moodlespeex/MoodleSpeexPlayerApplet.class">
<param name="archive" value="moodlespeexplayer.jar"/>
<param name="path" value=""/>
<param name="file" value="test.spx"/>
<!-- <param name="cookie" value=""/> -->
<!-- <param name="autoplay" value="true"/> -->
<!-- <param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet"/> -->
<!-- <param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet;version=1.3"/> -->
</applet>
<a href="test.spx">Dowload Speex audio file</a>
<br />For Speex players go to <a href="http://www.speex.org/software/">Speex's web site</a>
"
Speexuploader
"
<applet name="Speexuploader" width ="400" height ="200" code="moodlespeex/MoodleSpeexRecorderApplet.class">
<param name="archive" value="moodlespeexrecorder.jar"/>
<param name="type" value="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4"/>
<param name="scriptable" value="true"/>
<!-- <param name="subject" value="'.htmlspecialchars($subject).'"/> -->
<param name="destination" value="files/artofart/wordpress/"/>
<param name="filefieldname" value="comment_post_ID.spx"/>
<param name="endpage" value="$endpage"/>
<param name="cookie" value=""/>
<param name="compressionmode" value=""/>
<param name="compressionmodes" value=""/>
The Moodle Speex audio recorder applet should appear here. Please check that you have Java enabled in your web browser - this is
required in order to use the audio recorder.
</applet>
"
In reply to Dan Stowell

by tom sparks -
cant upload file
Destination URL is http://localhost/files/comments/
network: Connecting socket://localhost:80 with proxy=DIRECT
Exception in thread "Thread-18" java.lang.ClassCastException: javax.swing.JPanel cannot be cast to javax.swing.JApplet
at moodlespeex.CapturePlayback.getCookie(CapturePlayback.java:1258)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.setHeaderAndFooter(UploadThread.java:292)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.uploadFile(UploadThread.java:94)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.upload(UploadThread.java:77)
at net.sf.postlet.UploadThread.run(UploadThread.java:59)

In reply to tom sparks

by tom sparks -
got the last post working
but now I am getting 500 unknown error from the php that dose the file uploading using javaupload.php from postlet.com witch moodlespeex is written on top of

tearing my hair out with no help
In reply to tom sparks

by Filip Giesz -
Anytime I get a 500 error, that means that the script is outputting *something* before the header gets printed out. Suggest you print header right at the start (entry of the main php file) and then you'll see whatever is causing the spurious output and error.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Stuart Anderson -
Hi Dan,

The download link at: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=418 appear to be broken. At you in the middle of an update or something?

Thanks,

--Stuart.
In reply to Stuart Anderson

by David O'Brien -
Hello
Where can I download the zip file? All of the links appear to be broken.
Regards
In reply to David O'Brien

by Bill White -
Hi All,

Please see my post here and the link for the download.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=51231#p334111

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Richard Kassissieh -
Bill, I downloaded your .zip version from http://bkwhite.dyndns.org/moodle/ but found that the patch files it contained refer to files that don't exist in Moodle 1.8 (e.g., /mod/forum/mod.html). Bill, can you publish the code for the version you have running on your site?

Richard
In reply to Richard Kassissieh

by Mikko Turunen -
Hi,

I am thrilled to follow the discussion about voice recording tools for Moodle. I think it can be huge in language teaching world. My intention is to include MoodleSpeex to our upcoming Moodle site. For that I would be please to have the latest of the late specifications for using MoodleSpeex. I mean for example:

a) Browser limations
b) Bandwidth and upload limit issues
c) Moodle version

Thank you from the wonderful work already done. I think you guys are the best!

Mikko Turunen
Pirkanmaa College
Tampere, Finland
International Co-ordinator

In reply to Bill White

by tom sparks -
over the next few days
I'll be uploading a mirror version of moodlespeex at my website
http://www.artofart.info/index.php/projects/post-by-post-audio-comments-system/
In reply to tom sparks

by Igor Sidorenkov -
As an alternative to java applet approach, you can use a standalone windows application like this one that records voice file, uploads it to the server and you can just insert a link to the voice file to your webpage, forum post etc.

Voice message is played directly from the webserver (progressive downloading) in default music player.
In reply to Dan Stowell

Covcell Project

by Richard Kassissieh -
I just found out about another audio project for Moodle, though it differs in approach from Speex and therefore won't work for everyone. The Covcell Project (covcell.org) is an EU funded effort to supply in-browser audio and video recording for live chat and assignments. They chose to develop in Flash. Here are two messages from the project team.

At the same time, I am looking forward to seeing a downloadable, working version of Speex for 1.8!

User: Daniel Küstner
User ID: http://covcell.org
Host: wll194-241.wlan.hu-berlin.de
Comment:
Dear Richard,

I'm not sure, if this fits your needs, but I want to point you to the Covcell tools. In the Covcell project, we develop tools for collaborative working in Moodle. It contains a presence awareness block, text chat, audio-video chat, a collaborative whiteboard, and an audio recording assignment type.

But: although you can already try the tools, they are still in beta stage.

There is a test installation where you can try the tools out at

http://lms2.cms.hu-berlin.de/covcell

You can download the tools at

http://covcell.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=56

User: Daniel Küstner
User ID: http://covcell.org
Host: wll194-241.wlan.hu-berlin.de
Comment:
Thanks for the hint to the modules database. We will definitely add this, once the modules are available in a stable version.

I see the demand for embedding audio in forum discussions. But I fear, this will be beyond our capacity in this project (it's an EU project that's funded until September of this year) to implement it.

However, the flash and the streaming server code that is used for the audio assignment recording is separated from the moodle code and could be reused in an adaption for the forum.

daniel.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Carlos Santos Sáenz -
Hi,

I have been working on updating moodlespeex to Moodle 1.8. I have already managed to record and play messages, but when I try to upload, even though the compression and the upload they both seem to work fine, when the process is done it sends me to view.php so I can see the forum, but there is no way to find the file I uploaded. I have seen some other friends in this discussion have the same problem.

Can anyone help us?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Евгения Лалетина -

Hi!

I have a problem using moodlespeex. I can't play posted message. The "Play" button is enabled.

In "Java Console" I see a message "javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: file is not a supported file type". But I can download *.spx file and play it using VLC player.

What's wrong?

In reply to Евгения Лалетина

by andy101 andy101 -
Hi anyone has the installation instructions?
In reply to Dan Stowell

by shen yiching -
It`s a nice work for language teaching.But my server uses firewall to protect the system.The firework opens port 80 and 443.It cannot upload the recording file. Does it use special port for  uploading data ? Appreciated your assistance!
In reply to Dan Stowell

NanoGong 2

by Gibson Lam -

Hi there,

You may be interested to know that we have just released a new version of the NanoGong applet, NanoGong 2, with full Moodle integration. It provides a very simple and transparent voice support using a NanoGong activity and a specially extended HTML editor. It is freely available for download in the NanoGong website (http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong).

We have created the NanoGong 2 thread in the language teaching forum at:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=92516

Please take a look if you want more information or to discuss about it.

Regards,

Gibson
The Gong Project
http://gong.ust.hk
http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong

In reply to Gibson Lam

Re: NanoGong 2

by Patrice Jan -
Hello ! I install nanogong and it works very well with IE but with Firefox, I have a problem to upload the recorded message :"The sound recorder failed to upload the recorded voice file. Please try again."
Is there someone who has a solution ?

Thanks.
Patrice

Moodle 1.9.1 ; Firefox 2.0.0.16
In reply to Patrice Jan

by Lisa Pedicini -
Have folks had good experience using NanoGong 2 with Safari or Firefox on a Mac?

Alas, my Moodle host refuses to install NanoGong. Very frustrating.
In reply to Patrice Jan

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Patrice - I am in the process of getting the gong server configured on one of my production sites. I will certainly be testing nanogong and will let you know what I find. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Myles Carrick -
FWIW... we have Nanogong installed and happy on a number of Moodle sites... with very few reported problems (always related to either Java versions or school network filters that disable java applets from being loaded). I have personally used it successfully with various configurations including:
  • Firefox 2.x and 3.x on my Ubuntu workstation
  • Firefox 2.x and 3.x and IE 7 on my Vista machine
  • Firefox 2.x and Safari 3.x on my MacBook (10.5)

Myles C.
In reply to Patrice Jan

by Fritz Richter -
Everthing works fine, but I also get the message: "The sound recorder failed to upload the recorded voice file".

Thanks,
Fritz
In reply to Fritz Richter

by Fritz Richter -
I just realized that the upload is only a problem with Firefox. The IE7 works pretty well with Moodle 1.9.2.
In reply to Fritz Richter

NanoGong 3.1

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi all,

Nanogong is now in version 3.1 and it works fine in our 1.9.2+ installation, both in IE and in Firefox.

There only seems to be some unexplained glitch between NanoGong and the new Groupings functionality in Moodle 1.9 causing users to be thrown out of the course if a forum contains NanoGong messages and a Grouping setting.

The NanoGong module does not write to the 1.9. gradebook yet and it has no access dates, but those can be looked forward to in later releases, I hope.

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Yong Ra -

I downloaded and tried to install the program. When I ran the patch section, I am getting message indicating that the files are not in the dirrectory.

I am running 1.8.4+, could this be why? If yes, is there any update?

Thanks

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Ida Byrd-Hill -
I downloaded moodle speedx. I did not know whether the download it into the forum folder so I downloaded it as a stand alone. however it could not open it. What did I do wrong?
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Mª Ascensión Villalba Varona -
I'm an English Teacher and I see that there is a lack of tool for recording the voice of the students. I mean. Imagine that I tell to my students compare and describe this picture in an inserted activity. How can they record their comments and send to the tutor.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me, please.

Best wishes
Ascen.
Phd in NT to teach languages.