moodle 2.0 testing (was moodle 2.0 keeps refreshing page)

moodle 2.0 testing (was moodle 2.0 keeps refreshing page)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Sam,

1- Just upgraded to your "small change" and everything is OK now, thanks!

2- I have a more general question related to the testing of moodle 2.0 dev. I am finding it quite difficult to conduct tests with the present dev version, for the following reasons:
a. Essential features such as backup & restore, access to course files, are missing or lead to error messages.
b. For most modules, when debug mode is ON, tons of error messages are displayed.
c. For the modules I have tried, some features are not implemented or, again, lead to sometimes cryptic error messages.
d. A simple "standard" theme is missing (I know this is being discussed in the Themes forum).

I do appreciate that moodle 2.0 is in full development, a number of its core features are being destroyed upgraded continuously, but ... surely HQ want people to test it while it's in its beta state. At the moment, it seems almost impossible to conduct tests, because of all the problems encountered. OK, now for something more positive. Where exactly should one report bugs encountered in 2.0? Here in the development forum? In the bug tracker? In the various modules forums? What is the current best strategy? How does one know that what appears as a bug is indeed a bug which should be reported or a temporary development problem?

Thanks,
Joseph
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: moodle 2.0 testing

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Joseph,

Firstly, thanks for your willingness to test moodle 2.0. approve The error messages and other problems will become less very soon, at least I hope so(!), as I'm currently busy setting up the Moodle QA Testing Site.

Regarding reporting bugs encountered in 2.0, as always, please use the Moodle tracker. If you're not sure whether something is a bug or a new feature, please post in the Testing and QA forum. Regarding temporary development problems, I don't think it matters much whether you report them in the tracker or in the Testing and QA forum.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Helen, I will follow your advice.smile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks from me too Helen - I was wondering the same sort of things as Josephsmile

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Please stop reporting bugs that are anything to do with CSS until the theme changes have settled down.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Helen,

How current is the code base of http://qa.moodle.net? Is this the day's HEAD version? Perhaps one could show the version number on the front page?

Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Frank,

http://qa.moodle.net is running the latest daily build of HEAD (2010011400) and should hopefully be automatically updated each day (thanks to Moodle HQ's super sys admin, Jordan). Thanks for your suggestion of stating the version on the front page. There will be an admin account available too, in addition to the teacher and student accounts.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -
Helen,
At the moment there are no courses on that test site, so, logged in as teacher there is not much (actually there is nothing) one can do.sad I expect you have not yet had the time to create one (or more) "dummy courses".
Joseph

by Helen Foster -
Yes, sorry about that Joseph. What I need to do, since course restore is not yet implemented in 2.0, is restore the Moodle features demo course on a 1.9 site, upgrade it to 2.0 then ask Jordan nicely for help adding it to http://qa.moodle.net. Hopefully it will be done sometime next week! It's great that there is lots of interest in testing Moodle 2.0. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
yes Helen -can I "ditto" Joseph again about no courses, and looking forward to when you have restored the features demo course as I'm keen to play on your Moodle 2 since I keep breaking my ownbig grin
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle QA testing site now available!

by Helen Foster -
Good news: The Moodle QA Testing site is now available with the Moodle features demo course and admin access. glimlach Information on how we can all help with Moodle 2.0 testing to follow soon!
In reply to Helen Foster

by N Hansen -
I'm going to ask the most impatient sounding question in the world but bear with me as I have not been following Moodle releases the last couple years that closely, but now becausae of a new project I am working on I need to start doing so again and therefore want to get up to speed with how things operate these days. Are the projected release dates (March 1 for beta and July 1 for stable) moving targets as they used to be or are release dates more reliable these days? And during the last few major version upgrades, how long after the .0 release did the .1 come out?

That said, the new project I am working on will be a new installation of Moodle and therefore I might be able to safely get away with installing the beta once it is released as it won't be for production yet and therefore could help out with testing.
In reply to N Hansen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Don't expect Moodle release dates to be any more reliable than they were in the past.

On the other hand, the date has slipped several times already, so hopefully it won't slip much more.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Ralf -
Just another idea:

What about a block with links to the most current Moodle 2.0 related tracker issues? That way it's easier to see, whether you stumbled across a new bug or one that has been already reported.
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Helen Foster -
Frank, thanks for your suggestion. I'll add an RSS feeds block displaying recently reported 2.0 issues.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Ralf -
Thanks, Helen. Could you perhaps push the maximum number of entries shown a bit up from the current 3, perhaps 10?

tia
Frank