How to delete/disable the "Save without submitting" button?

How to delete/disable the "Save without submitting" button?

by pierre black -
Number of replies: 6
How could we delete/disable the "Save without submitting" button at the bottom of a quiz page?

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to pierre black

Re: How to delete/disable the "Save without submitting" button?

by Gustav W Delius -
There is no setting to disable that button. But also: why would you want to disable it? There is no drawback in allowing students to save their results, in fact it should be encouraged as a safeguard against them loosing their answers in the case of browser crash or network failure or something similar.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by pierre black -
But also: why would you want to disable it?

- My students asked me if I could photocopy the questions for them, in advance, because they were kind of doing it anyway, opening the test, printing the questions, saving the test, then coming back the day after with the answers and completing the quiz. I already use random questions and answers... but giving them permission to open the test a number of times during the period each quiz is available (2 days) is to make cheating far too easy. The option of limiting the time is a little too rigid for me since I have some students with learning disabilities.
- I have to put comments on each quiz saying not to use the "save without submitting button" but only the other button.

How should I proceed to install an old quiz module that doesn't have this button? (and which version of the module would that be?)

Thanks !
In reply to pierre black

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi Pierre, what you want to disable is the ability of students to load the quiz page several times. That has nothing to do with the "Save without submitting button". In Moodle students have always been allowed to load the quiz page several times. This has to be this way because there may be legitimate reasons for why a student needs to reload the quiz page (browser crashed, network connection was interrupted, student closed the page by mistake, ....).
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Deleted user -

moodle/mod/quiz/attempt.php

/// Print the submit buttons

change "submit" to "hidden" on the buttons you don't want to show.

In reply to pierre black

by Donna Hrynkiw -
There is significant confusion over the purpose of the "Save Without Submitting" button.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=28084
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=39440

A question-mark icon with supplementary information next to this button, and a statement of purpose anywhere in the documentation would go a long way toward clearing up this confusion.

While visiting the quiz module for the first time as an observer during a small faculty training session, my interpretation was that it was meant to be used either as a "I can't finish this quiz today, I'll save it and come back tomorrow to finish" feature or as a "I need to go to the restroom. I'll save my answers and complete the quiz in 5 minutes when I get back" feature. It never crossed my mind that it might be a "save now, save often" feature to protect against computer failure.

And I'm on the IT/Moodle Admin support side of this.
In reply to Donna Hrynkiw

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It can be used in all those ways.

However, the three different 'submit' buttons at the bottom of the quiz page are confusing, and my colleague Mahmoud is currently working on improving quiz navigation and usability, so thing should get better.