Could the Hotpot language files be added to the downloadable module zip?

Could the Hotpot language files be added to the downloadable module zip?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 4
Now the downloadable module zip at http://download.moodle.org/modules/ doesn't contain the language files. They seem to be in Moodle 1.5.3 main distro, but I'm not certain if they are indeed the latest Hotpot strings and help files...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: Could the Hotpot language files be added to the downloadable module zip?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Samuli,

sorry about the confusion with the language files. If you are using the latest "stable" version of the HotPot module, i.e. HotPot v2.0, then the language files that you already have in Moodle 1.5 are the correct ones, and you don't need to download any others.

On my server, I use a CVS client to keep my Moodle site up-to-date. It's a little tricky to install, but once it has been setup, it very simple, quick and easy to operate. You get the latest version of every part of Moodle, including the HotPot scripts and language files. I heartily recommend using CVS, if you're not already doing so.

I am a little uncertaun myself about how best to allow a single download of a modules language files and scripts, so I need to ask Martin D. about that.

In the meantime, you can download the scripts and languages files as a single zip files from my server:
However, I can't guarantee the "up time" of my server, I think it would be better for you to use a CVS client to get the latest version of Moodle from the central CVS depository at sourceforge.org

best regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Samuli Karevaara -
The download page lists Hotpot module as "development", so it wasn't clear to me that the Moodle standard distribution zip would contain the language files for Hotpot... thus the mixup.

I think there is a mechanism (since 1.5) for the modules to hold their own language files under /mod/modfolder/lang/.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moodle 1.4 standard distribution does not contain a HotPot module
Moodle 1.5 standard distribution contains HotPot v2.0
Moodle 1.6 standard distribution contains HotPot v2.1

Thanks for pointing out the fact that modules can have their own "lang" sub folder and this takes precedence over the files in the Moodles main "lang" folder. I had noticed it but I was mulling over where the best place for me to put the HotPot language files was.

I was worried that if the were two sets of hotpot language files, it might be confusing as to which one was being used. I will have to check with Martin D. how this system was envisaged to be used. If I am lucky, he has just read this message smile
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Samuli Karevaara -
I see, I see... In this case the /lang/ folder seems like a proper place for the HotPot lang files. Maybe the "development" status could be upgraded to "standard"?